GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Safe to use Staggered wheels on AWD?? Need the facts!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-15, 08:06 PM
Kane007
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Safe to use Staggered wheels on AWD?? Need the facts!

Hey Guys, I can't seem to find out a confirmed answer on this.. I have a GS350 Luxury version AWD. I am about the change out the ugly luxury wheels but can I get a set of staggered wheels? Some say this will ruin the AWD system and others say its fine.. my plan would be to keep all the tires the same size though..

so lets say I swapped out my luxury wheels for a set of F Sport wheels that are an inch wider in the back but used the same tire size all around, would I be fine? I need to make a decision asap as one of my current tires is losing air and I dont want to replace all my tires on my old wheels when I am going to just upgrade soon anyways..

I dont want flashy rims, was considering a few different aftermarket ones but I might just change to F Sport wheels and call it a day..
Old 08-24-15, 09:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

what do you mean "keep all the tires the same size"? if you are running staggered rims but same size tires, the rears will be stretched? that's no no imho. or do you mean "keep all the tires diameter the same"?

bottom line, as long as you keep the overall running diameter or the front and rear wheel close to each other, you will be fine. awd system detects "slip" by the rotation, so with same diameter, it won't be able to tell any difference.

for example if you have 245/35/20 front and 285/30/20 rear (make sure you do the calculation), you should be fine (i have seen that work on 3gs).

now the question of "how close is close enough" for front and rear diameter? that's a good question. no one has the answer
Old 08-24-15, 11:36 PM
Kane007
Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
what do you mean "keep all the tires the same size"? if you are running staggered rims but same size tires, the rears will be stretched? that's no no imho. or do you mean "keep all the tires diameter the same"?

bottom line, as long as you keep the overall running diameter or the front and rear wheel close to each other, you will be fine. awd system detects "slip" by the rotation, so with same diameter, it won't be able to tell any difference.

for example if you have 245/35/20 front and 285/30/20 rear (make sure you do the calculation), you should be fine (i have seen that work on 3gs).

now the question of "how close is close enough" for front and rear diameter? that's a good question. no one has the answer
no I mean keeping the tire exactly the same size front to back.. from the specs I see on Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires, a 245/40/19 can accommodate a rim with a width range of 8 to 9.5 inches.. so If I have 8 inch width rims in the front and 9 inch rims in the back, I can use the same size tire all around right?
Old 08-24-15, 11:43 PM
Rozay604
Lead Lap

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

been running staggered on my awd for 2 years with no problems
Old 08-25-15, 03:12 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Been running staggered for 3 years and no problems and I know a couple others who are more aggressive and are running staggered on awd as well. The key is rolling diameter as long as that is close you should be fine, and your getting stock wheels staggered there will be no problem.
Old 08-25-15, 05:34 AM
vinnier6
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are going to go staggered then go staggered...otherwise I would keep all 4 wheels and tires the same size
Old 08-25-15, 07:20 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

The AWD IS comes from the factory with a staggered setup. You'll be fine as long as you don't go too extreme.
Old 08-25-15, 12:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Kane007
no I mean keeping the tire exactly the same size front to back.. from the specs I see on Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires, a 245/40/19 can accommodate a rim with a width range of 8 to 9.5 inches.. so If I have 8 inch width rims in the front and 9 inch rims in the back, I can use the same size tire all around right?
personally if i run staggered, i will make the tires staggered too.
Old 08-25-15, 05:02 PM
Kane007
Driver

thanks for the feedback guys.. if I go with f sport wheels, I dont really have the options to have a non-staggered wheel set up since they all have wider wheels in the back.. so I would get staggered wheels simply since I have no choice, but I would run same tire size on all 4.
Old 08-25-15, 09:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

what is the problem with wider tires in the back?
Old 08-26-15, 08:51 AM
puffdaddy
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Kane007
thanks for the feedback guys.. if I go with f sport wheels, I dont really have the options to have a non-staggered wheel set up since they all have wider wheels in the back.. so I would get staggered wheels simply since I have no choice, but I would run same tire size on all 4.
If you get AWD F Sport wheels they are square (same size wheel and tire).

what is the problem with wider tires in the back?
Probably doesn't want to lose the ability to rotate, with the much shorter tread life.
Old 08-26-15, 09:23 AM
vinnier6
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You won't be able to rotate with same size tires on two different size rims...the wider rims with same size tires will still yield a wider tire...

If you have to have the two different size rims, the I would also stagger the tire sizes to
Old 08-26-15, 11:46 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

You can buy 4 F-Sport rims that are the same size. That is how the the AWD F-Sport is delivered. I don't see the issue here.

Just tell your dealer (or whoever) that you want 4 19x8 F-Sport rims (that are designed for the AWD model)
Old 08-26-15, 12:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by puffdaddy
If you get AWD F Sport wheels they are square (same size wheel and tire).

Probably doesn't want to lose the ability to rotate, with the much shorter tread life.
Originally Posted by vinnier6
You won't be able to rotate with same size tires on two different size rims...the wider rims with same size tires will still yield a wider tire...

If you have to have the two different size rims, the I would also stagger the tire sizes to
correct, with staggered wheels, you can't rotate anyway
Old 08-26-15, 03:42 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

correct, with staggered wheels, you can't rotate anyway
But you can still flip them. However, that would depend on the tire though, not all tires you can flip.

Quick Reply: Safe to use Staggered wheels on AWD?? Need the facts!