GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Best all season tires for winter?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-15, 03:36 PM
2014GS350F
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Best all season tires for winter?

I have a 2013 FSport AWD. I bought it last fall and about crashed on more than one occasion in the snow with the Bridgestone Potenza RE 050A summer tires that are on it now. At the time I didn't realize it had summer tires. Just knew it was AWD and assumed it would perform well in the snow. Well I'm going into this winter with a plan to purchase better tires. I want to plan ahead so I can monitor tire deals, rebates, etc. Any suggestions for a good all season tire?
Michelin Primacy MX4?
Old 08-23-15, 04:15 PM
2014GS350F
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Reading the MX4 are only ok in the snow. Wondering if I should get specific snow tires instead of all season. The tread life on my summer tires is still good. Do they make snow tires for my 19's? When I search Tire Rack and Discount Tire I only get responses for summer and all season, no snow tires.
Old 08-23-15, 05:14 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

The Nokian WRG 3 All weather plus tires is one of the best for snow that still safe to drive in the summer. It has the mountain and snow symbol on the sidewall indicating it more than exceed government requirements for safe use during inclement weather whether it be rain or snow. Another good one is Nokian Entyre 2.0 which is also all weather but with more focus towards performance handling during warmer weather.

The Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires are very good choice but it is an all season tire and not all weather so it will not perform very well in the winter but will get you home safe so as long as you stay home if it still snows. These tires are more focus on warmer weather driving.
Old 08-23-15, 05:34 PM
PR3D4K1NG
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From my experience driving both front wheel and all wheel dive cars in Halifax slushy snow and Calgary non plowed roads with all season and winter tires, I would highly recommend that you purchase winter tires and not three season/all season tires. If you already own summer tires and are wanting greater control because of near collisions, I think you would be doing yourself a disservice if you only buy all seasons.

I am leaning towards Michelin X ice xi3 for my NX F Sport.

I currently have Michelin mxm4 all reasons.
Old 08-23-15, 05:59 PM
Kane007
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive had countless tires in my time and I live in New England.. my favorite tires are continentals.. the use to have a model called ContiExtreme Contact years ago but the latest version is called ExtremeContact DWS.. best all around tire Ive ever had, going to be buying a new set soon as soon as I can figure out what wheel upgrade I want..
Old 08-23-15, 08:51 PM
djrabbi
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

DWS are best way
Old 08-24-15, 08:03 AM
FLBuckeye1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by djrabbi
DWS are best way
When I lived in Ohio and was in a similar position, these were always at the top of the list of recommended A/S tires. I also had General G-Max AS-03 which were very good. I had these on a RWD Infiniti and they did very well in snow.
Old 08-24-15, 02:24 PM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

There are lots of threads on this, you can see what i did here. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ml#post9144264

If $ is important, i would definitely go for 17" rims with 225/50/17 tires. If you want better looks / performance, go for 18" rims with 235/45/18 tires. 19" snows aren't worth it.
Old 08-30-15, 08:04 AM
MuskyHuntr
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kane007
Ive had countless tires in my time and I live in New England.. my favorite tires are continentals.. the use to have a model called ContiExtreme Contact years ago but the latest version is called ExtremeContact DWS.. best all around tire Ive ever had, going to be buying a new set soon as soon as I can figure out what wheel upgrade I want..
I had a set of DWS on my last ride. If you cannot justify dedicated winter tires, these may be you best option. They were decent in the snow but they sucked in the summer for me. They are loud as hell and they have a very weak mushy sidewall. You will not be happy with Fsport performance with this tire IMO.
Old 08-31-15, 08:47 PM
Samer327
Driver School Candidate

The Conti's are very good in the snow.
Old 09-01-15, 08:37 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,993 Likes on 1,416 Posts

I understand the new Michelin Premier A/S tire does well in snow. The amazing new tread design makes this tire just as good when worn as when it was new. Plus, it is very quiet and has a 60,000 mile warranty.
Old 09-01-15, 06:13 PM
puffdaddy
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3. I have not presonally ran them in the snow yet, but researched the reviews and many thought they did fine in the snow. Of course not as well as dedicated snows, but millions of cars run all seasons year around (FWR or AWD).
Old 09-02-15, 07:17 PM
ITDude
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I recently put the Michelin Premier A/S on the Acura TL that I still own. I like them better than the MXV4 that were on there. This is considered a touring tire where as some of the others mentioned in this thread were in the performance line.

There are some good reviews on the Tirerack web site. If you are interested in how some of the popular grand touring tires compare, check out http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=188 Tirerack also has reviews of the contental ExtremeContact DWS if you are leaning that way.
Old 09-03-15, 06:03 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by ITDude
I recently put the Michelin Premier A/S on the Acura TL that I still own. I like them better than the MXV4 that were on there. This is considered a touring tire where as some of the others mentioned in this thread were in the performance line.

There are some good reviews on the Tirerack web site. If you are interested in how some of the popular grand touring tires compare, check out http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=188 Tirerack also has reviews of the contental ExtremeContact DWS if you are leaning that way.
Thanks for posting the link with the comparison! Quite an interesting read.

I've read a lot of good things about the Premier A/S tire as a worthy replacement of the Primacy MXM4.

I'm personally considered more about wet traction (since it doesn't snow in TX), so I may consider those when it gets time to replace my OEM set.

~ Im2bz2p345
Old 09-04-15, 02:28 AM
weirdone
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires is best winter tires in my opinion.

Quick Reply: Best all season tires for winter?