GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2016 GS 200t Fuel Economy Shows Why Lexus Is Going Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-15, 06:20 PM
metrathon
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rijc99
So, I guess there are no issues with Takata air bags or any other recalled items right? Since they weren't 100% failure rates and you can point out 10 people who didn't have problems with them?

Someone said BMW turbos aren't a known problem nor are they mentioned in forums, I'm simply pointing out that there are numerous instances of them failing. BMW themselves detuned their computers to deal with turbo issues.

For every BMW owner you point to me that says they don't expect Lexus reliability nor care about it, I can point to 10 others that does, me being one of them. Where does that leave us?(Sound familiar? ) And in reading the posts of some here... I think some people might care about the 1s.

BTW. No need for BMW drive test event, I have a 15 535i MSport and 14 GS FSport, the GS drives and handles better. Many people echo this sentiment. Also, I got used to turbos back in the 90's when they were the rage in import sports cars.
I did not say there were no issues, but you're blowing it slightly out of proportion, like BMW is KNOWN for failing turbos. Which is not true.

And yes, every car owner has a list of things he cares for. But in the end, you buy the car that checks your top boxes. Bought a Bimmer? Most probably you care most about engine, tranny, and latest gizmos. Lexus? Reliability, refinement, value.

I'm sure owning both a 535i and a GS gives you a perfect insight of all the products offered by two companies, but I still think the BMW drive event is a great opportunity for most drivers on this forum to better understand and appreciate the pros/cons of each brand.

Last edited by metrathon; 08-24-15 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-24-15, 11:56 PM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by metrathon
I did not say there were no issues, but you're blowing it slightly out of proportion, like BMW is KNOWN for failing turbos. Which is not true.
Ask the guys that had N54's. Yours were not turbo N54's so maybe you aren't familiar with that motor's issues. There are plenty of examples of N54's with turbo failures. Along with high pressure fuel pump failures. Enough where they are out of norm when compared to other makes. Enough where BMW felt they had to lower the boost levels and offer extend warranties.

N54 is where the turbos came in. And granted now the newer engines have turbos too. But it kinda started started with the turbo inline 6 N54 motor. Google it and you'll see there are lots of examples of turbo failure. If you strictly look at their turbo cars, you will find the failure rate was higher than should be considered normal. (Exclude 325, 328, 330, 525, 528, 530, etc. as they are not turbo)

My original point was turbos including BMW's DO fail. Someone then said they didn't believe me BMW turbos fail as they didn't see it in the forums. I responded with google searches of examples. Then you jumped in. But my original statement was turbos including BMW's do fail.

BTW. Channel this version of metrathon when you go talk to the dog lady. More argumentative and assertive.

Last edited by rijc99; 08-25-15 at 12:28 AM.
Old 08-25-15, 07:55 AM
metrathon
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rijc99
Ask the guys that had N54's. Yours were not turbo N54's so maybe you aren't familiar with that motor's issues. There are plenty of examples of N54's with turbo failures. Along with high pressure fuel pump failures. Enough where they are out of norm when compared to other makes. Enough where BMW felt they had to lower the boost levels and offer extend warranties.

N54 is where the turbos came in. And granted now the newer engines have turbos too. But it kinda started started with the turbo inline 6 N54 motor. Google it and you'll see there are lots of examples of turbo failure. If you strictly look at their turbo cars, you will find the failure rate was higher than should be considered normal. (Exclude 325, 328, 330, 525, 528, 530, etc. as they are not turbo)

My original point was turbos including BMW's DO fail. Someone then said they didn't believe me BMW turbos fail as they didn't see it in the forums. I responded with google searches of examples. Then you jumped in. But my original statement was turbos including BMW's do fail.

BTW. Channel this version of metrathon when you go talk to the dog lady. More argumentative and assertive.
The N54 was BMW first turbo gas engine, so it's bound to have some issues. Everything first has issues. But look at BMW's diesel turbos, they've sold countless for decades now and I don't think they are less reliable than other brand out there.

If your point is that, generally, a turbo engine is less reliable than a NA, that might be right, though it's only my gut speaking as I haven't read any study on it. Lexus' reliability might take a slight hit as they transition to turbos, but it won't be visible because the whole industry will take roughly the same hit as everyone switches to turbos. NA are pretty much dead with the new fuel and emission standards.

I talked to the dog lady again, firmer this time. She said she'll do her best to hold the dog. I'll keep you posted
Old 08-27-15, 01:28 PM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
Think how awesome would it be if the current GSF became the GS500, while bumping the GSF from a n/a V8 to a supercharged V8 or n/a V10 (similar to the LFA)! I'll keep dreaming here
i agree.. they should think about going back to the old GS3 (with a 6 cyl) have a v8 GS4 model and then the GSF could be v8 turboed? put the 4 banger turbos on the smaller IS platform?
Old 08-27-15, 02:21 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Last year, due to an oil leak which cost them $3,000 to repair, my front door neighbors subsequently traded their 3 year old C Class 2.2 liter turbo-diesel, for an all new E Class Coupe with a similar 2.2 liter turbo-diesel engine.

Two weeks ago, the all new E Class Coupe with 2.2 turbo-diesel spilled oil all over their garage floor, and oil stains from the spill remain.
It had to be towed back to base, and Benz supplied them with a loan car.

I told them to buy Jap, but the wife keeps saying Lexus looks like a Toyota, which is partly true, but is not a good enough reason not to buy Lexus.
I think they may switch over to Jap because they are retired, and their wallet is really emptying...
Old 08-27-15, 09:36 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i think a lot of people are going to be disappointed with the fuel efficiency with the 2.0t
Old 08-28-15, 09:15 AM
metrathon
Pole Position

Originally Posted by peteharvey
I think they may switch over to Jap because they are retired, and their wallet is really emptying...
I think that's a big reason why Lexus' audience is slightly older than other luxury brands. Retired ppl still want to drive a luxury car, but not worry about reliability.

Think about it this way: how much does it cost to repair the HID headlamp of a GS vs a laser matrix on an A6