GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Monday's The Day: New GS F-Sport

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-15, 07:59 PM
687Jim
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Monday's The Day: New GS F-Sport

Leave early tomorrow morning to drive to Indianapolis to pick up our new Obsidian/Cabernet GS F Sport. Ordered it a week ago and the dealer received it from another dealer on Saturday.

I'll be excited to get it but I have mixed feelings about trading in our 2013 ES 350 in Fire Agate Pearl with Premium Plus Package. We put 41,000 miles on it and it has been such a good car. Oh well, a new owner will get it and like it as much or more than we have. Why trade? Just felt that I was ready for something different. After seeing the 2016s, I'm happy with what I picked.

The F Sport will be different, that's for sure.

I'll drive it for a week or so then write my impressions.
Old 08-16-15, 08:39 PM
popping
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats. I'd recommend getting paint correction, full front clear bra, and ceramic coating for your car since everything will show! I have the same color combo. Where in IL you from?
Old 08-16-15, 10:00 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

I thought this was the unveiling of the 2016 GS FSport.
Old 08-16-15, 11:14 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

The rear seat leg room will be lessened but overall, the GS feels more substantial. Congrats.
Old 08-16-15, 11:39 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
I thought this was the unveiling of the 2016 GS FSport.
Me too...Was a little excited.

To the OP, congrats on the new car. You'll notice a huge improvement in refinement and handling.
Old 08-18-15, 02:36 PM
687Jim
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by popping
Congrats. I'd recommend getting paint correction, full front clear bra, and ceramic coating for your car since everything will show! I have the same color combo. Where in IL you from?
Don't know about paint correction or ceramic coating. I'll have to research, I guess, We are in Champaign, IL.

Wondering if I made a mistake on the color (Obsidian). Afraid it's going to look dirty all of the time unless I take it to the car wash twice a week. After 200 miles and a little rain today, it doesn't look very good.

I like most everything els about the car, especially the media stuff. Weather doesn't work. It says "No data available". Weather Tech mats and trunk liner came and installed today. Fit perfectly. Also, gave up a lot of rear seat legroom and about 10% on gas mileage compared to the ES.
Old 08-18-15, 02:44 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Originally Posted by 687Jim
Don't know about paint correction or ceramic coating. I'll have to research, I guess, We are in Champaign, IL.

Wondering if I made a mistake on the color (Obsidian). Afraid it's going to look dirty all of the time unless I take it to the car wash twice a week. After 200 miles and a little rain today, it doesn't look very good.

I like most everything els about the car, especially the media stuff. Weather doesn't work. It says "No data available". Weather Tech mats and trunk liner came and installed today. Fit perfectly. Also, gave up a lot of rear seat legroom and about 10% on gas mileage compared to the ES.
Yes, I strongly suspect you did...
Old 08-18-15, 02:45 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

And it will show more swirls.
Old 08-18-15, 03:20 PM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

Congrats and welcome to 4GS family. I had OB before but now UW. OB is definitely more difficult to take care and keep clean. It's a beautiful color but just takes too much effort to keep shine and swirl free. I would too recommend a clear coating. Zarch is our moderator and maintains Auto Detailing Forum. He's also fron IL and can certainly hook you up or do it for you if near by.
Old 08-18-15, 04:31 PM
VMRWheels
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats! Look forward to seeing pics
Old 08-19-15, 12:04 PM
blacksun
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Congrats on the new ride!

I have an Obsidian GS as well and have NEVER regretted choosing the color. Owning a black car is a labor of love. You just have to embrace it.
Old 08-19-15, 12:35 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Yeah, if you take that black car to a car wash twice a week....shew, that will look terrible.

You'll love the car though.
Old 08-20-15, 08:17 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

I traded my ES for a GS and it was a huge improvement. I think you will feel the same.
Old 08-20-15, 09:55 AM
popping
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 687Jim

It will save you some headaches. but black shows everything. hit up Zach. He's a forum moderator in the autodetail section.

http://www.attentiontodetailingpeoria.com/
Old 08-23-15, 06:57 AM
687Jim
Driver School Candidate

Default GS F Sport Continued Impressions

Well, I think I am all set. Had my local detailer applied Meguiar's Polymer coating on Wednesday. They said it typically lasts about 8 months. The results were spectacular. I have a very good touchless car wash nearby that does an excellent job. No more regrets about getting a black car.

Driving around town, I have been noticing a lot of black cars and most all of them look very good indicating that they are well cared for. Black seems to be the dominant color of the Mercedes that I have seen. Also popular with BMW.

Getting past the 500 mile break in period and the car impresses more and more each time I drive it. It definitely has two different personalities; the around town luxury cruiser and the semi-beast when put in Sport + and manual shift mode using the paddle shifters. Love the engine and exhaust sound when the car is pushed toward its limits.

Car came with 19" Michelin MXM4 tires, which were my first choice. It rides better than expected, better than the 2013 ES that I traded for it. Quieter also.

First time I stopped for gas, I couldn't find the gas door release button on the dash and ended up calling Lexus and they informed me that, with the doors unlocked, you press on the rear edge of the door itself and it will open. Felt a little foolish, but I did not have the manual in the car with me.

Black leather Riparo Italian driving gloves complete the picture. They are a little too smooth. Wish they had more tack.

The Lexus Remote Start application works like a charm and also makes a record of the car's position after shutdown so no more losing your car in parking lots. At the beginning, I was being bombarded with email notifications re the car being unlocked, window(s) down, etc. but he Inform Res iPhone App allows you to customize many potential notifications so you can get it the way you want it. Siri works great but the abiliity to display info is limited

Web connections using the same iPhone are much better with the GS than they were with the ES. There are fewer drops and the stations like Pandora and I Heart Radio connect quickly and stay connected. The Gas info app is now showing gas at over $3.00 per gallon reflecting the fact that it burns premium fuel. The Weather app from the Weather Channel is gorgeous on the large hi res screen and is now truly useful compared the the primitive weather map on the ES. The Nav screen now shows the speed limit of the current road at the bottom of the screen. It is showing 65 for the local interstates here in central Illinois indicating that the map info is prior to last January 1 when the speed limits changed to 70 on interstates here in Illinois.

The interior (Cabernet) is gorgeous, as you might expect. Couple of small quibbles are that the cup holders are a little too far forward for both the driver and the passenger causing you to have to lean forward to get your drink. No big deal. Striated aluminum is fine and in keeping with the car's overall design. Wife would have preferred wood, as we have had in the past.

Car did not come with wheel locks. Did not notice until we were ready to drive it off the lot. Will put them on myself. McGard Lexus OEM locks are available on Amazon for, I think, $35 or $40.

Don't usually name cars, but I'm thinking Darth Vader. Wife prefers Obi (Obsidian) which is also a Star Wars character.

Well, time to go out for breakfast! Any excuse at all to drive the new GS F Sport.

Quick Reply: Monday's The Day: New GS F-Sport