GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2016 Lexus GS 200T - Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-15, 03:01 PM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default thoughts on 2.0

think about what options toyota has? the 350 is a great car with a good motor, but the industry and the tech is 5 years outdated with efficiency to power. look at all the manufactuers response its smaller displacement with turbocharging, or audi with some turbo and some supercharging.
the real winner is Audi.. they have a miller cycle 2.0 turbo coming out in the a4 that is almost equal to its predecessor for performance but gets 45 to 50 mpg highway and great city.
this move for lexus to move to this is a smart move and if it lowered the entry point to get into a gs it makes them more competitive. i know a lot of the enthusiast on the board don't mind 21 mpg overall. but really, i drive 100 miles a day for work and had a gs 350 loaner and it was as bad a my ls430 on gas, these days are gone with gas prices near 3 to 4 bucks a gallon, people want a more affordable option especially with highway cruising. this 2.0 rated at 33 highway should get over 35 with cruise on at 70.. just did a 24 mile cruise today with my 528 and got 42-44 highway with air off cruise on 66.
these small motors are great at cruising and saving gas.
another plus the 8 speed tranny is brilliant and does a good job with the turbo motors.
Old 08-15-15, 06:37 PM
Cathy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ls430lover
think about what options toyota has? the 350 is a great car with a good motor, but the industry and the tech is 5 years outdated with efficiency to power. look at all the manufactuers response its smaller displacement with turbocharging, or audi with some turbo and some supercharging.
the real winner is Audi.. they have a miller cycle 2.0 turbo coming out in the a4 that is almost equal to its predecessor for performance but gets 45 to 50 mpg highway and great city.
this move for lexus to move to this is a smart move and if it lowered the entry point to get into a gs it makes them more competitive. i know a lot of the enthusiast on the board don't mind 21 mpg overall. but really, i drive 100 miles a day for work and had a gs 350 loaner and it was as bad a my ls430 on gas, these days are gone with gas prices near 3 to 4 bucks a gallon, people want a more affordable option especially with highway cruising. this 2.0 rated at 33 highway should get over 35 with cruise on at 70.. just did a 24 mile cruise today with my 528 and got 42-44 highway with air off cruise on 66.
these small motors are great at cruising and saving gas.
another plus the 8 speed tranny is brilliant and does a good job with the turbo motors.
How reliable are the turbos?
Old 08-15-15, 06:57 PM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

Default the n20

4 cylinder are very good , there have been issues with the 6 turbos with high mileage building up carbon.
only buy a bmw new w warranty till 50k with maintenance or cpo with 100k warranty
i bought mine with 19k so i have balance of all the original maintanence and then I'm covered till 100 on major stuff.
the motor in my 1500 miles is fantastic i am really picky with powertrains, drive it you will find it efficient, powerful and playful
Old 08-15-15, 10:31 PM
shurik74
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
If it starts so low I'm afraid our cars resale value will take another dive. It is already bad as now now.
+1 ^^^ That's a very true future coming to our GS's... kinda making me upset though
Old 08-16-15, 08:03 AM
CincyBrad
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
If it starts so low I'm afraid our cars resale value will take another dive. It is already bad as now now.
This is a major concern for me also. I have a 2013 F-Sport AWD, and the trade value on it is already pathetic. Dealers are offering low $30's for these cars on trade, and mine stickeed at over $60k. 50% loss in 2 years is pretty bad in terms of resale.
Old 08-16-15, 08:29 AM
RC350Fan
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CincyBrad
This is a major concern for me also. I have a 2013 F-Sport AWD, and the trade value on it is already pathetic. Dealers are offering low $30's for these cars on trade, and mine stickeed at over $60k. 50% loss in 2 years is pretty bad in terms of resale.
Wow...that's unbelievable for a Lexus. I'm glad I leased.
Old 08-16-15, 09:17 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,625 Likes on 1,035 Posts

The fact that there is an IS250, and soon an IS200t, has not lowered the resale of the IS350. I don't understand why it would be different with the GS.
Old 08-16-15, 03:03 PM
SSTG
Driver

Originally Posted by CincyBrad
Dealers are in business to make money. An offer like that is not surprising in the least.
I would never trade a car in, ALWAYS do a Private sale.
Old 08-16-15, 05:00 PM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

as i put some more thought to this car, i think myself and others need to give it more of a chance.. i think the mouth is more exaggerated in the photos with atomic silver color. if you look at the lights blending with the front , the better flow of the rear quarter, the 4 cyl fuel economy, lower price, it will probably be another success for the brand and an important step to up there commitment to newer powertrains that have the performance/efficiency balance.
this car will sell well and it will also handle better than the 6 with less weight on the nose
Old 08-16-15, 06:48 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ls430lover
as i put some more thought to this car, i think myself and others need to give it more of a chance.. i think the mouth is more exaggerated in the photos with atomic silver color. if you look at the lights blending with the front , the better flow of the rear quarter, the 4 cyl fuel economy, lower price, it will probably be another success for the brand and an important step to up there commitment to newer powertrains that have the performance/efficiency balance.
this car will sell well and it will also handle better than the 6 with less weight on the nose
That's the thing though, the 2l turbo is just as heavy as the 6. I imagine it's not all aluminum (iron block maybe) then you have plumbing, intercooler, etc. There are only two reasons to go this route. One, fuel economy and two, lower entry price.

Although, as I've speculated in other threads, this could be a performance bargain if the right tuner gets ahold of it. If the block and heads can handle more boost, it's a larger turbo and a piggyback ECU away from beating the v6 for less money. Toyota/Lexus always plays it safe with engineering so I'm sure the 2l turbo has tuning potential, at least from an engineering perspective. Their engines generally are way overbuilt so they last. Remember, this is the same company that built the Supra with a bottom end that could withstand 1,000hp builds but leaving the factory with less than 500hp on tap.
Old 08-19-15, 12:11 AM
irebel
Driver School Candidate

I hope the released figures about the economy of the European version of GS200t are wrong (Lexus expects fuel economy of 7.9 l/100 km (29.8 mpg)). If you compare these figures with the rival models in Europe (same power and torque) such as the BMW 528 and Volvo S80 T5, you will notice the Lexus model is trailing by at least 1.5 l/100 Km. This difference is HUGE! Moreover the emissions of this new Lexus does not compare favorably if I judge by the figures given for the IS200t. Additionally its performance is by a full second slower in the 0 -100 Km test. So, what does Lexus offer to the European market? A nice looking car (even though this is subjective) with considerable worse consumption, emissions and performance. Given the fact that many European countries tax cars based on emissions then we should expect this model to be more expensive than its rival cars. I think it is no coincidence that Lexus will not offer this model in the UK market which is its biggest market in Europe.
Which is Lexus' target market then?
Is Lexus serious in Europe?
Old 08-19-15, 03:11 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by RC350Fan
Wow...that's unbelievable for a Lexus. I'm glad I leased.
He said that is what they offered. They always start low. My experience with Lexus resale value has been excellent.
Old 08-19-15, 08:35 AM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by irebel
I hope the released figures about the economy of the European version of GS200t are wrong (Lexus expects fuel economy of 7.9 l/100 km (29.8 mpg)). If you compare these figures with the rival models in Europe (same power and torque) such as the BMW 528 and Volvo S80 T5, you will notice the Lexus model is trailing by at least 1.5 l/100 Km. This difference is HUGE! Moreover the emissions of this new Lexus does not compare favorably if I judge by the figures given for the IS200t. Additionally its performance is by a full second slower in the 0 -100 Km test. So, what does Lexus offer to the European market? A nice looking car (even though this is subjective) with considerable worse consumption, emissions and performance. Given the fact that many European countries tax cars based on emissions then we should expect this model to be more expensive than its rival cars. I think it is no coincidence that Lexus will not offer this model in the UK market which is its biggest market in Europe.
Which is Lexus' target market then?
Is Lexus serious in Europe?
BMW's 4 cly has auto engine shutoff when your stopped at a red light. That is a little deceiving for city mpg as the auto shutoff doesn't work when you need the ac or heater to work. I don't know what kind of mileage numbers it gets with the motor continuously running. Does the Lexus 2.0 have that shutoff feature too?
Old 08-19-15, 11:39 AM
blacksun
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tea
Originally Posted by bclexus View Post
Base sticker price is expected to be mid $30s.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...-and-info-news
no way that's possible when the IS200t is already $37,000+, not including destination
I agree. Mid $30s must be a typo.

I expect the GS200t to start slightly below the current GS350 base price (~$46k) and going forward the GS350 base price will [quietly] rise into the low $50s. That's what BMW and Audi did after introducing their 4-cyl in the US 5-series and A6.
Old 08-19-15, 12:29 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,050 Likes on 664 Posts

Then that is actually good news for our 350. Our resale value will go up if the base price goes up too.

The one that fuked it up was the lower price of the 2015 compared to 2013-2014 prices. My 2014 lost 22 Grand on the first year!! New was $60K and now it's only $38K.

Quick Reply: 2016 Lexus GS 200T - Thoughts?