GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Best Sound with iPod?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-15, 07:48 AM
djrabbi
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Best Sound with iPod?

So I have my iPod hooked up to the GS but compared to my Audi and BMW, it is far less in quality. I heard the ML and NON ML GS350s and thought paying another $1200+ wasn't really worth it. I feel like there is no bass in this system. The mids and highs are pretty good but I listen to lots of hip hop so like my bass.

I played with the EQ from the iPod to see if it makes a difference but feels like it is trying too hard.

Any suggestions besides adding an aftermarket sub/amp?
Old 08-06-15, 07:55 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

I leave my equalizer off on my iPhone and I stream it with Bluetooth instead of plugging it in. I don't know if there is a difference in sound that way.

I set my ML to Max Bass, -2 Mid, -1 Treble, Surround On, ASL Off and so far that's the best settings for my music and ears.
Old 08-06-15, 07:57 AM
user420
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's all bout dat bass...........no treble. I upped the bass via the regular onboard controls and things sounded a bit better. Also, the sound via my iPod sounds better than the radio itself. Not the best system to be had but you should hear the lousy system in my Accord. If you still require more bass then I guess the sub/amp may be your only solution. You're not one of those guys that we hear coming long before we see the car are you?
Old 08-06-15, 08:00 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

The HD radio is all about that treble, no bass however.

Oh the Accord has the most horrible sound system ever. I traded in my 14 for a CT after just one year cause I hear nothing but wind and road noise and zero music when driving that car. A base Camry has a much better sound system than the Accord.
Old 08-06-15, 08:02 AM
djrabbi
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by user420
It's all bout dat bass...........no treble. I upped the bass via the regular onboard controls and things sounded a bit better. Also, the sound via my iPod sounds better than the radio itself. Not the best system to be had but you should hear the lousy system in my Accord. If you still require more bass then I guess the sub/amp may be your only solution. You're not one of those guys that we hear coming long before we see the car are you?
LOL. No I just like a good thump in music. I have a 10" JL sub sitting around so I guess worst case scenario, I will have that installed
Old 08-06-15, 08:05 AM
user420
Driver

@ItzFilyO Funny, I traded my 13' EXL V6 after 2 years and bought a 15' ES 350. Still have a 14' EXL I4 but that may not be around much longer either. Your F Sport really looks sharp. My how I miss the days of RWD on my MB E 320.
Old 08-06-15, 08:07 AM
djrabbi
Lead Lap

Out of all the cars, I think the Audi had the most clean sound from my iPod... XM radio sounds realllllly good in the Lexus with enough bass but trying to figure how to get same sound via USB
Old 08-06-15, 08:07 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Ur EXL must have a better system right? Mine was a 14 Sport with the base system I guess? It only has 4 speakers.
Old 08-06-15, 08:43 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
I leave my equalizer off on my iPhone and I stream it with Bluetooth instead of plugging it in. I don't know if there is a difference in sound that way.
BT or USB wouldn't affect the sound at all when it come to digital media. BT has a theoretical bandwidth of 720Kbps which is more than enough to transmit MP3 audio even in the highest quality levels. The loss occurs mostly at encoding and then at decoding.

I do find though that CDs still sound better to my ears but the iPOD/MP3 thumbdrive is just so convenient.
Old 08-06-15, 09:06 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Yea it's so convenient, I sync my iPhone with my computer at home and whenever I get in the car I'll have the latest playist Vs. having to erase and reburn a CD all the time.
Old 08-06-15, 09:27 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by djrabbi
Out of all the cars, I think the Audi had the most clean sound from my iPod... XM radio sounds realllllly good in the Lexus with enough bass but trying to figure how to get same sound via USB
XM radio sounds like crap at any time it sounds like the good ol' 96kbps Napster downloads...
Old 08-06-15, 09:36 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

XM does suck. And you kids with your MP3s. Back in my day we had to listen to the radio all day for our favorite song, then we taped it, often with the stupid DJ speaking over the song. And there was a lot of hiss noise.LOL
Old 08-06-15, 09:47 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by praetor
XM does suck. And you kids with your MP3s. Back in my day we had to listen to the radio all day for our favorite song, then we taped it, often with the stupid DJ speaking over the song. And there was a lot of hiss noise.LOL
I remember those times... Then came a portable CD player where everybody in HS has one and holding it in their hands cause it doesn't fit in the pants pocket. Oh the struggles.

Now my Apple watch can stream music to wireless headphones! Damn!
Old 08-06-15, 10:44 AM
user420
Driver

I want my Walkman back. Now I need to go out into the garage and make sure my CD player actually works. Have yet to even try it.
Old 08-06-15, 10:45 AM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

The signal coming through the cable may be cleaner but I prefer BT streaming. I can utilize the volume control on the iPhone which in turn gives me a bit more juice. I too feel some CDs sound better. Regardless I agree the sound is a bit weak.

Quick Reply: Best Sound with iPod?