GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Recommend some tires for wife's GS350?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-15, 06:44 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
If you routinely see temps below 35 degrees, you'd be well served with winter tires. Its not just about precipitation.
Good luck trying to convince people. I've been trying a long time Usually it's the ones you least expect it who listen.
Old 08-05-15, 07:12 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by faifai83
Michelin Pilot Super Sports?
That would be like Usain Bolt using roller blades instead of running shoes for a 100m race.

The Pilot Super Sports are good summer tires, but not what you would want in the northeast winters.
Old 08-05-15, 08:09 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,996 Likes on 1,418 Posts

It is definitely not good (e.g. very unsafe) to run summer tires in cool/cold temperature even when the road surface is bone dry.
Old 08-05-15, 08:12 AM
djrabbi
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Yeah I did that with my Mercedes. It was maybe like 30 degrees and was waiting for winter tires to come in. I skidded and hit the car in front of me but it was a love tap at most
Old 08-05-15, 08:27 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by djrabbi
Yeah I did that with my Mercedes. It was maybe like 30 degrees and was waiting for winter tires to come in. I skidded and hit the car in front of me but it was a love tap at most
I doubt one in fifty people realize that summer [performance] tires become dangerous as the temperature drops. What is safe at 70° and above becomes a very different tire as the temperature approaches 40°, and anything below 40° summer tires are downright dangerous. And, it has nothing to do with the road being asphalt or concrete, or the road surface being wet/ice/snow versus dry.

Many performance cars come with OEM installed summer [only] tires that owners think are safe to drive in any temperature. That simple, yet extremely important, misunderstanding is an accident waiting to happen.
The following users liked this post:
RBDan (01-29-17)
Old 08-07-15, 04:27 AM
DaveAMass
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have driven rear wheel drive vehicles in the past and would always put snow tires on in the past. I'm always amazed at how much better the vehicle is in the snow. I drive a Camaro these days but am fortunate enough to have a beater winter car that I use. Camaro goes into storage.

The Lexus is my wife's but I manage all the maintenance, etc. I understand what you guys are saying about summer tires, such as the P-Zeros on my Camaro, but if I get all season tires for my wifes car, shouldn't that be sufficient?

New England winters are hit or miss, though lately they have been a hit, particularly last year. Lets hope there isn't a repeat.

Thanks.
Old 08-07-15, 08:19 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Dave - It's hard to beat the Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires for your wife's GS 350. But sadly, Michelin has increased the price multiple times over the past 7-8 months (from $172 in December, 2014 to $228 in August, 2015 per Discount Tire).

The only explanation I've seen for the big price increase is that Michelin says their raw material costs have increased and their employee costs have also increased as well and they will no longer try to compete with some of the other tire makers, and Michelin has decided to take a firm stand to make a reasonable profit on their superior made tires; thus the price increases. I'm told that Michelin now has the prices of their tires where they want them, so maybe they won't be increasing more anytime soon.

Last edited by bclexus; 08-07-15 at 08:46 AM.
Old 08-07-15, 08:21 AM
djrabbi
Lead Lap

I'd stick to Michelin also but that price point is so high for a very common tire size.

Just get DWS! I would sell you my factory Michelins with 500 miles on them as I want to get DWS anyways
Old 08-07-15, 08:26 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveAMass
I have driven rear wheel drive vehicles in the past and would always put snow tires on in the past. I'm always amazed at how much better the vehicle is in the snow. I drive a Camaro these days but am fortunate enough to have a beater winter car that I use. Camaro goes into storage.

The Lexus is my wife's but I manage all the maintenance, etc. I understand what you guys are saying about summer tires, such as the P-Zeros on my Camaro, but if I get all season tires for my wifes car, shouldn't that be sufficient?

New England winters are hit or miss, though lately they have been a hit, particularly last year. Lets hope there isn't a repeat.

Thanks.
It really makes a big difference. When i met my SO, the car needed new tires and winter was coming. I forced her to buy a set of winters - and now, she won't drive without them. She loves being able to calmly drive around when everyone else is spinning out. She now only has to worry about people hitting her

All season means "every season except winter. Having AWD only helps acceleration. Winter tires help braking, turning and traction. Otherwise, an AWD car is no better off than a RWD car.
Old 08-07-15, 11:15 AM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I had recently purchased Pirelli P7 Cinturato All Season Plus for my car.

Granted, mine is an ES350 though and not a GS.

First time I've ever owned a Pirelli tire.
These tires are super quiet and super smooth on the road. They steer extremely easily. They seem to roll easily when you let off the gas.
If these qualities are what you are looking for, I would highly recommend them.

I don't know about the ultimate "***** to the wall" cornering limits of the tires though, but it seems they might not be highest performing tire in that regard.

I had the Michelin Primacy MXV4 (H rated) on previously, but they didn't last anywhere near their "supposed" limit.
A 50k tire which started getting squirelly at much lower mileage. I replaced them at 32k with the P7's.
Old 08-07-15, 03:27 PM
Tampaloo
Driver School Candidate

I just installed the perilli p7 all season plus on my GS 350 awd. They are quieter than the michelins and feels pretty smooth so far. I live in central Florida and they have done well on rain. The only thing I don't like is the look compared to the michelins. The price was $170 a tire
Old 08-07-15, 05:25 PM
ISterguy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NJLEXES
I had recently purchased Pirelli P7 Cinturato All Season Plus for my car.

Granted, mine is an ES350 though and not a GS.

First time I've ever owned a Pirelli tire.
These tires are super quiet and super smooth on the road. They steer extremely easily. They seem to roll easily when you let off the gas.
If these qualities are what you are looking for, I would highly recommend them.

I don't know about the ultimate "***** to the wall" cornering limits of the tires though, but it seems they might not be highest performing tire in that regard.

I had the Michelin Primacy MXV4 (H rated) on previously, but they didn't last anywhere near their "supposed" limit.
A 50k tire which started getting squirelly at much lower mileage. I replaced them at 32k with the P7's.
Good point - How are these P7 tires at hard fast cornering? Do they feel soft like they want to roll and not stay rigid? That I don't want.

Last edited by ISterguy; 08-07-15 at 05:39 PM.
Old 08-08-15, 10:21 AM
Samer327
Driver School Candidate

I'd recommend the Advan Sport A/S. Michelin's are a great tire, but expensive. This is an A/S tire with good dry and wet traction.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ASXL&tab=Specs
Old 08-08-15, 03:46 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by djrabbi
I'd stick to Michelin also but that price point is so high for a very common tire size.

Just get DWS! I would sell you my factory Michelins with 500 miles on them as I want to get DWS anyways
Once you get a solid number of miles on your new tires, can you post a comparison of the the Continental ExtremeContact DW (DWS in your case), compare to the OEM Michelin Primacy MXM4?

Especially would like to hear things about noise & comfort.

That would be extremely helpful for the future.

~ Im2bz2p345
Old 08-08-15, 03:48 PM
djrabbi
Lead Lap

I was actually going to wait till 1,000 miles to swap to see exactly what your talking about.

Quick Reply: Recommend some tires for wife's GS350?