GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Help!!!! Brake noise out of control

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-15, 12:20 AM
ScanMan82
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!!! Brake noise out of control

Hi, I recently had new front oem rotors and pads installed on my 13 GS F Sport rwd and after a few hours of driving the loud squeal coming from the front was very embarrassing. I'm ready to pull whatever hairs on my head I have left. When I'm coming to a stop I hear it. If I'm braking lightly I hear it. If I reverse I hear it. I had the same problem prior to replacing the rotors and pads and felt that it was being caused by not having my rotors resurfaced prior to installing the last set of pads. Now, I have new everything and I have the same problem. Anyone had similar experience with the 14in F sport rotors??? I've already spent so much on the front brakes and I can't stand having an expensive car that sounds like a cheap car. Any Ideas would be helpful.
Old 07-29-15, 12:44 AM
Jlin89
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ScanMan82
Hi, I recently had new front oem rotors and pads installed on my 13 GS F Sport rwd and after a few hours of driving the loud squeal coming from the front was very embarrassing. I'm ready to pull whatever hairs on my head I have left. When I'm coming to a stop I hear it. If I'm braking lightly I hear it. If I reverse I hear it. I had the same problem prior to replacing the rotors and pads and felt that it was being caused by not having my rotors resurfaced prior to installing the last set of pads. Now, I have new everything and I have the same problem. Anyone had similar experience with the 14in F sport rotors??? I've already spent so much on the front brakes and I can't stand having an expensive car that sounds like a cheap car. Any Ideas would be helpful.
It's just the nature of these brakes, I have the 3is that has the same brake system as the gs. It's annoying as hell. I can hear it when i hit 40mph cruising on the road. It's embarrassing, only happens to some people tho. My buddy with the same car doesn't have a problem. I guess you can always go aftermarket.
Old 07-29-15, 12:59 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

GS uses soft brake pads that have more stopping power, but produce more brake dust, which causes the squeal as a result.
My front door neighbor's E Class coupe has the same squeal.

Last time, I spent over $1k purchasing brand new OEM front rotors, brand new pads, and brand new shims; it was quiet for a few weeks, then squeals again.

Removing the front wheels, and giving the front wheels & front brake calipers a good clean will stop the squeal, until the brake dust once again rebuilds.

You can try ceramic pads which are are quieter, but they require repeated braking to heat up to produce their best grip, such that they are more suited to racing.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/resul...utoModClar=RWD

Last edited by peteharvey; 07-29-15 at 01:20 AM.
Old 07-29-15, 09:41 AM
vinnier6
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's the pad material...I have been down this road before with brembos...my solution is to replace the pads myself with autozone cmax gold...the kicker is....you will have almost zero dusting issues with the autozone pads and you won't really notice any performance loss
Old 07-29-15, 11:39 AM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Something is odd here. If you're in a '13, warranty should have covered the first set of squealers, and maybe the second. Rotors shouldn't even be in the equation unless your car has an ungodly number of miles on it already. Before the second set of rotors were installed, someone should have measured runout on the original rotors.

That being said, these can be loud pads. Ceramics will quiet them down and cut down on dust. I know Lexus has already had one pad revision for this model due to noise and may have another in the future...I don't follow it that closely.

Also when mine get a little squealy, I go to the car wash and pressure wash the front wheels, because I already know the front wheels are covered in brake dust at that point. Once they're clean, they shut up until they get dirty again.
Old 07-29-15, 12:05 PM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Did they replace the shims?
Old 07-29-15, 12:35 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

The brake dust on this car is unbelievably bad. Every time I wash my car I spend more time hosing down my front wheels than the rest of the car.
Old 07-29-15, 01:10 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rijc99
Did they replace the shims?
I replaced my shims at huge cost, and once the dust built up, the squeal was back.
Old 07-29-15, 01:27 PM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by peteharvey
I replaced my shims at huge cost, and once the dust built up, the squeal was back.
Guess I'm one of the lucky ones. 10,000 miles and no brake noise to speak of.
Old 07-29-15, 01:34 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rijc99
Guess I'm one of the lucky ones. 10,000 miles and no brake noise to speak of.
Do you wash your car, particularly the front wheels and the front brake calipers, both regularly and thoroughly?

I'm so lazy, my front wheels turn black, so by the time I want to wash the wheels, I must jack the front end up, then jack stands, and then remove both front wheels with a cordless torque wrench - all so much work...
Old 07-29-15, 11:17 PM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Do you wash your car, particularly the front wheels and the front brake calipers, both regularly and thoroughly?

I'm so lazy, my front wheels turn black, so by the time I want to wash the wheels, I must jack the front end up, then jack stands, and then remove both front wheels with a cordless torque wrench - all so much work...
Thats probably it. I own a coin op car wash so I blast the front wheels at least once a week. 1000 psi.
Old 07-29-15, 11:42 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Thanks. I'll try your water pressure trick; too much work to remove the front wheels to remove all that brake dust.
Old 07-30-15, 08:41 AM
sarmyth
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's a ghetto way which may help. For me I have Akebono pads installed and they squeal on the first stop of the day (before they have any heat in them) which is, of course, when you're leaving from a parking lot... the worst possible time.

I've found that shifting the car into neutral when performing that first stop eliminates the squeal... I suppose it's because the drivetrain isn't constantly pushing the car forward.

I haven't heard a squeal in weeks because of this one change.
Old 07-30-15, 02:51 PM
ISterguy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jlin89
It's just the nature of these brakes, I have the 3is that has the same brake system as the gs. It's annoying as hell. I can hear it when i hit 40mph cruising on the road. It's embarrassing, only happens to some people tho. My buddy with the same car doesn't have a problem. I guess you can always go aftermarket.
IMO I don't think it should squeal at ALL and if it's as loud as ScanMan describes you better take it to the Dealership for at least a check. I have a 13 non-F with 45K miles with NO squeals at all at any speed with a slight annoyance of front brake dust. Brake pads generally float just slightly away from the rotor disc by a few mm. Basically the brake system hydraulics accomplish this by equalizing its caliper pistons to where it establishes its rotating center. If the rotor disc becomes warped or rippled (usually because of too much heat from hard and continuous braking) which could cause the pads to vibrate and pulsations on the braking system causing a shaking feel also could contribute to excessive pad wear.
Old 07-31-15, 12:33 AM
ScanMan82
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No the shims are still original.

Quick Reply: Help!!!! Brake noise out of control