GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Help!!!! Brake noise out of control

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-15, 12:35 AM
ScanMan82
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sarmyth
Here's a ghetto way which may help. For me I have Akebono pads installed and they squeal on the first stop of the day (before they have any heat in them) which is, of course, when you're leaving from a parking lot... the worst possible time.

I've found that shifting the car into neutral when performing that first stop eliminates the squeal... I suppose it's because the drivetrain isn't constantly pushing the car forward.

I haven't heard a squeal in weeks because of this one change.
Do you do a hard stop or is this just a normal slow brakeing?
Old 07-31-15, 09:08 AM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ScanMan82
No the shims are still original.
Try changing the shims. Make sure it's OEM.
Old 07-31-15, 10:30 AM
99alta
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No the shims are still original.
Are you guys talking about actual shims or the pad's backing plate (anti squeal plate) ?

Mine better not start squealing, I've had some nice cars and some beaters over the decades and none have squealed unless they were worn out or VERY dirty.
I'll be darned if after buying my most expensive ride I'd put up with squealing on a regular basis!

Something isn't right guys, they aren't designed to squeal so something is wrong period.

Having said that the brakes should be cleaned around each oil change. You can spray high pressure water in the caliper area, but you should really use brake clean or air. If you hit the calipers with high pressure water you may get water past the protective boots and onto the slider pins, which can result in rusting preventing the pads from moving properly.
Personally I just use compressed air with a long angled nozzle to blow off the pad/caliper area and brake clean when the wheels are off.

Some people seem to think Ceramic pads don't work as well and produce less dust. On my TL I replaced the stock brakes with EBC slotted rotors and their Red pads (rotors kept warping). The first 500 miles or so I thought it might not have been a good idea as the stopping power didn't seem to be there. But once they where broken in they were much better than stock!! A little more rotor noise when braking hard (from the slots), but the rotors never warped again or ever squealed.
Old 07-31-15, 01:24 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

My front door neighbour has an E Class and it squealed too.
He replaced it with ceramic pads, but he says the braking power was compromised.
Old 07-31-15, 05:27 PM
99alta
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
My front door neighbour has an E Class and it squealed too.
He replaced it with ceramic pads, but he says the braking power was compromised.
That's the last thing a guy wants with a heavy car like ours!

Maybe it was the slotted rotors that made the most difference as I've never tried ceramic pads with normal rotors.
Old 08-01-15, 02:02 PM
sarmyth
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you do a hard stop or is this just a normal slow brakeing?
Just normal braking for the first one... that's typically exiting a driveway or stopping at a crossing in a parking lot... neither is the safest place for a brake stand =)

But my issue is a bit different from others as it truly is only the first stop when everything is cold.
Old 08-01-15, 07:07 PM
08sgmis350
Advanced

Received 182 Likes on 73 Posts

I switched to akebono pads and it reduced heavy brake dust alot but it squeals when it's cold (but only for few times after I start up and it doesn't squeal after that). It reduces lot of brake dust for sure. After day of driving, my front wheels turned black but with akebono pads, it lasts more than week and it still has fewer brake dust than 1 day of driving with oem pads. Brake only squeals 2-3 times when I start my car and it goes away after.