GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Question about lease payment timing

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-15, 01:19 PM
metrathon
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question about lease payment timing

I was wondering if I could sign the lease, let's say, on Jul 30th but only start the countdown and payments from Sep 30th. So basically the dealer keeps the car for two months or so, until I'm ready to drive it. Could this work?
Old 07-28-15, 01:55 PM
LI Lexus
Driver

Originally Posted by metrathon
I was wondering if I could sign the lease, let's say, on Jul 30th but only start the countdown and payments from Sep 30th. So basically the dealer keeps the car for two months or so, until I'm ready to drive it. Could this work?
The lease starts the day you sign it... , why won't you be ready for it for 2 months?
Old 07-28-15, 02:10 PM
metrathon
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LI IS
The lease starts the day you sign it... , why won't you be ready for it for 2 months?
Well, I still have 4 payments left on my Bimmer. But if I wait out the lease on it, I won't get such good GS deals anymore. So I was thinking I could use the Bimmer and lock in the GS but not start paying it, for two more months or so.
Old 07-28-15, 02:34 PM
ITDude
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you checked to see if you have equity in your BMW? Go to dealer or some place like CarMax and see what they will give you for the car. If it is more than the residual value of the lease, you can sell it and put the equity on the next lease.
Old 07-28-15, 02:42 PM
metrathon
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ITDude
Have you checked to see if you have equity in your BMW? Go to dealer or some place like CarMax and see what they will give you for the car. If it is more than the residual value of the lease, you can sell it and put the equity on the next lease.
It's really bad, belly up, something like $28k to $22k. BMW got burned with this lease
Old 07-28-15, 02:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i dont' see why dealerships would do such thing where they lose two months of payments plus the storage fee on your car
Old 07-28-15, 02:56 PM
ITDude
Rookie

It's really bad, belly up, something like $28k to $22k. BMW got burned with this lease
The nice thing about a lease is you can always just turn in the keys at the end of lease, even if there is negative equity.
Old 07-28-15, 02:59 PM
ITDude
Rookie

Originally Posted by ITDude
The nice thing about a lease is you can always just turn in the keys at the end of lease, even if there is negative equity.
It would be considered an early buyout, so there may be some restrictions in the lease contract that define those terms. Since metrathon already knows he needs to walk away from this lease at the end, it isn't worth checking the lease terms!
Old 07-28-15, 03:27 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

ITDude, did you just respond to your own post and start arguing with yourself? Confused!
Old 07-28-15, 03:51 PM
metrathon
Pole Position

The choices are:

1. Fork over the 4 payments left and drop the car in front of BMW of Vista.

2. Keep both cars, park the GS in the garage, and put miles on the Bimmer till the lease matures. Then I'll have a GS with 13.5k mi/yr

3. Forget about the '15 GS, keep the Bimmer until the lease is up, get the '16 GS with whatever deals are going to be available at that time.
Old 07-28-15, 04:12 PM
ITDude
Rookie

Originally Posted by jjscsix
ITDude, did you just respond to your own post and start arguing with yourself? Confused!
I was attempting to respond to Rominl. I either need to proof read my responses or else learn to use a PC!
Old 07-28-15, 05:43 PM
flippd
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The choices are:

1. Fork over the 4 payments left and drop the car in front of BMW of Vista.

2. Keep both cars, park the GS in the garage, and put miles on the Bimmer till the lease matures. Then I'll have a GS with 13.5k mi/yr

3. Forget about the '15 GS, keep the Bimmer until the lease is up, get the '16 GS with whatever deals are going to be available at that time.
Choice 4: Drive the Bimmer through the end of your lease, and then lease one of the '15 GS's left in the lot even if the '16 is already out. Should have good deals on those since they are a MY old already. However, you run the risk of everybody running out of '15s (or not having the color / options you want) and getting stuck with a bad '16 deal as they are so new. Which begs the question, when are the '16s coming out?
Old 07-28-15, 06:09 PM
xRYD3Rx
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wait for 16GS stay with bimmer. But no guarantee you will get good deal on 16 model.
Old 07-28-15, 07:11 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

There will still be some leftover 15 GS even when 16s are on the lot. These cars don't sell like Corollas, I think some dealers still had 13s when the 15s hit the lot last time.
Old 07-28-15, 08:14 PM
metrathon
Pole Position

I'm already unhappy with the options the SoCal dealers have. For example I want ML on a Luxury and it's impossible to find. I also want Flaxen, and it's very hard to find, and it only comes with black or white exterior. GS variety is non-existent, almost like a model T. I can't imagine I'll find something I like in December, when my BMW lease is up.

Not sure what to do.

What if I order a '15, exactly how I want it? It will take 2 to 3 months to bring it here, which would work out perfectly. And I would still get some incentives, obviously not as much as for a car on stock. Would that make sense?

Quick Reply: Question about lease payment timing