GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Style vs comfort

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-15, 06:42 PM
metrathon
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Style vs comfort

Most of the GSs I see on the lot are F-Sports. However, that's not what I want. The 19" wheels and the sport suspension will downgrade the ride, if even so slightly. I think for a car of that size, 18" is enough, and I'm not gonna track it to feel the difference between 18" and 19".

Maybe it's the age, but lately I'm looking for less flash and more substance. I can forgive a lesser look if the quality and refinement is top notch. I have a friend with an A6 and it has the 20" package. It looks amazing, but I can feel every crack in the pavement rattling my teeth, and the constant tire humming is awful.

What do you guys think about the F-Sport vs regular, how big is the difference in ride?
Old 07-22-15, 06:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

The F Sport rides more similarly to the Luxury than I thought it would. The 19s do make it firmer of course, but if you prefer ride over handling like me just get a model with the 18s.
Old 07-22-15, 07:51 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

I have a luxury with the new silver finished 19"; it rides very smoothly & quietly - more smoothly & quietly than the charcoal 19" on the F Sport. The F Sport tires are too noisy for me.

The 18" on the base model GS looks a touch plain, but it has a very "plush" soft ride.

Last edited by peteharvey; 07-22-15 at 07:55 PM.
Old 07-23-15, 12:25 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

It's not a night and day difference but if the ride bothers you that much, the GS may not be the car for you. An ES or LS might be what you're looking for.
Old 07-23-15, 01:23 PM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
I have a luxury with the new silver finished 19"; it rides very smoothly & quietly - more smoothly & quietly than the charcoal 19" on the F Sport. The F Sport tires are too noisy for me.
What tire brand is yours and the F Sports? If they are the same, I wonder if it's due to the wider rears. In that case one can get an AWD F Sports to get both more aggressive look and the comfortable ride.
Old 07-23-15, 02:05 PM
SSTG
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1101GS
What tire brand is yours and the F Sports? If they are the same, I wonder if it's due to the wider rears. In that case one can get an AWD F Sports to get both more aggressive look and the comfortable ride.
Could you expand on this? I'm realitivly new here.

Thanks!
Old 07-23-15, 03:21 PM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SSTG
Could you expand on this? I'm realitivly new here.

Thanks!
The RWD FSport models come with staggered summer tires (wider tire on the rear). The AWD FSport models come with non staggered all season tires (tires are the same size front and rear). Same wheel design.
Old 07-23-15, 04:01 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by 1101GS
My luxury silver 19" tires are Dunlop something.
I notice that the charcoal 19" tires on the F Sport are Bridgestone Potenza something, and the F Sport's rear wheels have wider rims...
Old 07-23-15, 04:07 PM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts

I have an AWD fsport with Michelin mxm4's
Old 07-23-15, 04:36 PM
SSTG
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rijc99
The RWD FSport models come with staggered summer tires (wider tire on the rear). The AWD FSport models come with non staggered all season tires (tires are the same size front and rear). Same wheel design.
Thank you. But that sounds like RWD would be more aggressive?

Are the wheel offsets the same on both models?
Old 07-23-15, 11:56 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

May be pretty hard to find an AWD car in Missouri, and for the drivetrain losses and mechanical complexity I'd say stick with RWD. Just get the Luxury model, it will ride better, or get the ES which is FWD so it's better in winter, since you get an actual winter up there. However, regardless of which you choose, the GS is a driver's car and none of the combinations are soft in my opinion. Well sprung and responsive but never soft.

You could get a RWD F Sport and change the tires right away. I have Pilot Sports on mine now and ride quality has gone up and noise has gone down. Potenzas are cheap noisy OEM tires that really start howling around the 10k mark after the soft outer shell has worn off; I've had them on two different cars and both times, same story. Only two things I don't like about the Michelin Pilot Sports. First, they smell funny (especially after you heat them up), and second, I don't see them lasting a long time since they are an aggressive summer formula. In fact, a staggered fitment wrecks the tire mileage warranty because they can't be rotated.

It'll cost more and you may be able to talk your dealer into doing it for you, but it's a happy compromise.
Old 07-24-15, 07:01 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Like I said, my buddy's 2015 F Sport has the Michelin Primacy MXM4 and I am surprised by how well and quietly it rides. Tires make a HUGE difference.
Old 07-25-15, 12:55 PM
ITDude
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 2015 Luxury with the Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires and find it to be a very comfortable and quiet ride. I came from an Acura TL, and find the ride comfort of the Luxury infinitely better. I wanted comfort more than performance, so the Luxury was my choice.
Old 07-25-15, 04:46 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 2013 GS 350 F-Sport road so smooth with michelin mxm4 tires compared to the original crappy bridges stone turanaza el400-02 which made me feel every crack and bumps in the roads. You will be very happy with the ride and handling combo of the GS F-sport compared to the A6 with the 20 inch sports package. I have the 2016 A7 with the 20 inch sports package and they made some adjustment to the suspensions and its alot smoother and comfortable now and very close to the GS f-sport in ride with slight drop in handling. My brother's 2014 A6 with the 20 inch feels quite firm on the other hand.
Old 07-28-15, 11:08 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a 2014 GS 350 Rwd fully loaded with Luxury package and Cold weather package on 18" michelin primacy MXM tires.

I just swapped the OEM wheels for RCF's 19" seven spoke staggered wheels with Michelin pilot super sports.

To be honest if your GS has AVS suspention regaurdless of Luxury trim or fsport trim they will ride the same. To me my oem 18s ride only slightly softer than the 19s staggered. The big difference is the the 19" were much better handling than the 18s but still very comfortable daily driver. Just buy fsports and tell your dealer to swap with the 18s you see on the lot.

If it were me i would just buy the fsport if i cant find a luxury package and just install michelin tires on the 19" fsport rims.

Quick Reply: Style vs comfort