GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Jump Ship? Dirty Thoughts.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-15, 12:36 PM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sick21
^^All very solid points. And I've never looked at a GX, I'll check it out.

Edit: Definitely do not like the GX.
lmfao...quick google search just crushed that dream!
Old 07-20-15, 12:43 PM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

In defense of the GX, I saw a white GX sitting on gun metal F Sport wheels and it did look pretty good. It's definitely a car that needs to be looked at in person rather than in pictures.
Old 07-20-15, 01:40 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by islandbeef
LOL. I've been giving the X6 M Sport a long look, also. But I've owned two BMW's in the past and I'm weary of the maintenance issues. Time (in the shop) is money.
Is the 7 Series really a money pit?
Old 07-20-15, 01:45 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MEAHT
lmfao...quick google search just crushed that dream!
Hahahahahaha.. yea the GX looks big and weird.

If u do get the NX, get the FSport one cause normal NX looks ugly AF. I couldn't wait to return that car and get my GS back cause it's so ugly.

The normal NX looks better in pictures but in real life it's ugly but the FSport looks good in both pics and in real life. That wider front bumper does make a huge difference in styling.
Old 07-20-15, 01:59 PM
flippd
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my GS (no problems) but I'm starting to get bored. Still have a year left on my lease but I've been looking at the C-class and the F type.
Old 07-20-15, 02:07 PM
metrathon
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to stay within the same payment and retain the quality, you don't have a lot of choice. MBenz C300, Infiniti Q50, BMW 528i or Hyundai Genesis 3.8i. That's about it. Anything else is either stepping down in quality or bumping up the monthly.
Old 07-20-15, 02:09 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

I think with German cars u'll be paying more, both monthly and maintenance. With Lexus ur paying for a cheap Camry maintenance.
Old 07-20-15, 02:23 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Is the 7 Series really a money pit?
LOL. That's what I called my 7 Sport before I sold it, "The Money Pit". The car is outstanding when it's running, but when something goes wrong, be ready to open your wallet....WIDE.

The old hooptie:

Name:  74side2.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  35.3 KB

When I saw the new LS F-Sport, I thought this was the anti-7 series Sport: The spacious, sporty, luxo cruiser without the expensive maintenance headaches.

Last edited by islandbeef; 07-20-15 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-20-15, 02:27 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by rijc99
I lease so I'm counting on alot of time in their loaners.
Yup. They usually give you a low end 3 Series or 5 Series (if you complain hard enough).
Old 07-20-15, 02:35 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Plus u can't beat Lexus after purchase treatment, their service is just unbeatable. I got a loaner for an alignment and it was free too!
Old 07-20-15, 02:49 PM
metrathon
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
I think with German cars u'll be paying more, both monthly and maintenance. With Lexus ur paying for a cheap Camry maintenance.
On the maintenance, it depends. BMW has free maintenance for 4 yrs which can be a nice saving of a few thousands bucks. I think Audi started to do the same, but the A6 lease rates are horrendous and the new A4 is not out for another year or so.
Old 07-20-15, 03:58 PM
Nobeanspls
Driver

Originally Posted by metrathon
On the maintenance, it depends. BMW has free maintenance for 4 yrs which can be a nice saving of a few thousands bucks. I think Audi started to do the same, but the A6 lease rates are horrendous and the new A4 is not out for another year or so.
Ah the old BMW "free maintenance". It consists of..... 4 total oil changes in 4 years. That is all the free maintenance you are likely to get out of them. Because BMW is smart enough to make sure the brake pads are just thick enough to make it past 4 years (for most drivers), the rotor just strong enough to last 4 years, most of the fluids just good enought to last past 4 years.... see a pattern here? Oh and they got that money back from you with the higher starting prices already. You are not saving anything.

As a bonus the multiple warranty stops for little stuff that stops working is also free the first 4 years. Your time wasted is not covered.

Leasing one would be the best bet but the good leases may be hard to find. German cars generally are wonderful driving cars and when they work right some of the BMWs can live up to their slogan. The engine power delivery is sublim on their new turbo motors and they often perform better than their numbers may suggest. I enjoyed mine for the 4 years I owned it...the day after warranty expired the radio stopped working. Pads were coming up, brake fluid needed change, rotors need to be changed... I am sure there was something other stuff coming up too that I did not care for which is why it was traded in.

As far as wanting to jump ship I totally understand. When a car is just not working right and has problems it makes you want to get rid of it.
Old 07-20-15, 04:05 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by metrathon
Funny you say that.. I originally wanted an A6 3.0T w/ black optic pkg before I got my GS. I couldn't justify the $250 more a month for a lesser car so didn't get an A6.

FilyO, my brother, you always speak the truth. Two most awesome things about Lexus: Maintanance costs are far/few/in between, relatively cheap. Second thing is the Lexus experience. For them being near entry luxury, the customer experience has been stellar. I have been to 3 dealerships. All 10s/5 Stars. That's why I was thinking maybe IS or NX. But after starting this thread I have realized... I want an SUV/crossover. A midsize to large midsize (not large like a suburban lol).

Right now a 2015 X5 has my heart. Thinking X5 35i XDrive M Sport. Looks to be around $73k, which is perfect because I'm wanting to keep it under $75k. One bad thing. Lease deals on the X5 suck. They are in high demand and BMW is milking it like no tomorrow.

I'm not really concerned about maintenance costs because I never have had a car out of warranty in my life and I'm not gonna start now. I will be leasing again. And BMW has a standard maintenance plan. So pretty covered there.

Definitely do not like the Merc GL. It's too big and the interior feels long in the tooth. Don't like the ML either. I'd rather have a SRT Jeep, but my wife drives a GC so don't really want two of the same thing. Any other suggestions? Sorry I can't make myself like the GX. Not gonna happen lol it's too... Too everything!! Very different.

I agree, the X5 interior can be crappy. IMO it's a BMW trend. But at least they 'look' better these days than they did a few years ago. I had an 09 335i M Sport sedan that was awesome. Of course I didn't have it very long but it was a cool car... Except for the interior. It was ugly haha. But I find the newer ones more attractive. Not really concerned if the door doesn't have as much padding as my GS or stitching everywhere.

When I said the GS dash is ugly, that was harsh and maybe the wrong choice of words (thanks for not grilling me!). I just mean, it looks old compared to the NX and IS. And I'm so young maybe I don't appreciate its elegance. I might be admitting my shortcomings, I can be rather ignorant sometimes.
Old 07-20-15, 04:06 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This thread really blew up! Sorry I didn't get the chance to respond to each of you. I appreciate the input guys! Keep it coming lol
Old 07-20-15, 04:15 PM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sick21
Any other suggestions?
Maybe look at the GLE when it comes out. It refines some of the current ML's lines. Or the F Pace.

Quick Reply: Jump Ship? Dirty Thoughts.