GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

The ridiculous diabolical Remote Start

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-15, 09:20 AM
Petrolhead
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool The ridiculous diabolical Remote Start

I know this is an old and repeated complaint, but it needs to be fixed.

Toyota / Lexus states that this is a safety issue to shut off the car when the car is unlocked/door opened. I find this curious, that most if not ALL other car makers with remote start do not find this as a safety issue. If someone has a fob, they should be able to open the door and hit the start button without having to restart the vehicle.

I chatted with a Lexus rep yesterday and they stated that it is a safety issue that the vehicle could be stolen. I am going to test to see if the car can be moved out of gear if my wife remote starts the car while I am sitting inside the car. If I can't move the car out of park, or the engine stops when I hit the brake pedal to move the gear out of park, this would kill that excuse.

This could be a simple fix for Lexus owners. ECU update, and if you choose to have remote start that does not shut off at unlock/door open you go to the dealer, sign off on a "safety liabiltiy" form, and they run the update on your vehicle, and problem solved.

I will update the thread later with my test results.
Old 07-09-15, 10:48 AM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts

I think you will find most on here would support that. Good luck getting overly conservative Lexus to budge.
Old 07-09-15, 11:00 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Lexus won't budge.

I hate that about the remote start too.

On my Jeep, the vehicle simply would not shift out of gear until the start button was pushed again with the key fob in the vehicle. The gauge info display read "Remote Start Active Press Start Button to Start"
Old 07-09-15, 11:39 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

no matter how they spin it, this has to be one of the stupidest features ever. it just doesn't make any sense at all.
Old 07-09-15, 12:28 PM
rparton
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just picked up a 2015 F-Sport and was saddened by this error in functionality. Like previously stated, if I have the key fob on me why should there be any issue with hopping in and driving?

Last edited by rparton; 07-09-15 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-09-15, 12:56 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

So the remote start is pretty much useless then?
Old 07-09-15, 01:01 PM
rparton
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO

It does help if you live in hot climates and want to have the ac cool down the car before you get in, but having to restart the car once you unlock the doors bugs me too much to utilize it in this way.
Old 07-09-15, 01:54 PM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

I know it's a pain in the *** to restart your car but I don't see remote start as useless. You can use it to heat/cool your car. Get in the car and it's still warm/cool, you just have to restart it. Aggravation? Yes. Useless? No.
Old 07-09-15, 03:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i wouldn't say say it's useless either. in hot or cold climate, it will still work to cool or warm the car / seats before you gets in.

but still, fact that it shuts down and you have to start it again? extremely stupid
Old 07-09-15, 06:29 PM
Kane007
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

its not useless... its definitely annoying.. but the functionally is still the same as any remote start..
Old 07-09-15, 07:07 PM
vinnier6
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, how does it work
Old 07-09-15, 07:07 PM
KJD3
Driver

Default The ridiculous diabolical Remote Start

I don't like the remote start in our cars either. My previous car, a Crown Vic I used as a daily when I had a modified G37S, had remote start that I installed shortly after I bought it. It had a 20 min shut off, and the key fob remote start worked up to 2500 feet away.

Ours is too restrictive. You can only start it for 10 minutes twice then it locks you out (so I've been told) for 10 minutes before being able to restart the car.

Heck even with my Infiniti I could pull up to the grocery leave my car running get out and lock the doors, as long as I had the key fob on me, and run inside come back out and unlock the car hop in and take off. With Lexus/Toyota it just has that prolonged beep and won't lock the doors.

Is it true we have to have the subscription active to use our key fob remote start function?
Old 07-09-15, 07:40 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by KJD3

Ours is too restrictive. You can only start it for 10 minutes twice then it locks you out (so I've been told) for 10 minutes before being able to restart the car.

Is it true we have to have the subscription active to use our key fob remote start function?
You can restart it after 10 mins. Not sure how many times, but I've done one after the other. It might be limited to 3.

Yes, you'll need an active Safety Connect subscription to use key fob remote start function. This will require you to pay $219.99/ year for the subscription after your complimentary 1 year is up. Wish Lexus would make it complimentary 3 years, which is the usual lease term. They could do what BMW does with their free maintenance program and roll it into the price of the car...

Last edited by dchar; 07-09-15 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-10-15, 07:23 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Originally Posted by KJD3
Heck even with my Infiniti I could pull up to the grocery leave my car running get out and lock the doors, as long as I had the key fob on me, and run inside come back out and unlock the car hop in and take off. With Lexus/Toyota it just has that prolonged beep and won't lock the doors.
This I don't have an issue with. In many jurisdictions its actually illegal to leave a car running and drivable without it being attended to. The car could get hit and knocked off the parking pawl, lots of things can happen.

No, you have to have the subscription to use the enform remote app, but not the key fob remote. App works much better.
Old 07-10-15, 06:14 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

dchar is correct, App and fob work when subscripted, both end when the trial ends.

Quick Reply: The ridiculous diabolical Remote Start