GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Do only cars with S+ rev match downshift?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-15, 03:44 PM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Do only cars with S+ rev match downshift?

I've seen videos of the 4GS rev match downshifting. Mine doesn't do it, but it's not a Luxury or Fsport, so maybe that's why?
Old 06-27-15, 05:39 PM
slickhoosi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen dealer education materials and they indicated that the cars only rev match when S+ is activated. I'll use the paddles to downshift often and I don't notice much of a difference of which mode I'm in.
Old 06-27-15, 05:44 PM
slickhoosi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://assets.cobaltnitra.com/teams/...146efa6b30.pdf

Dealer training materials I mentioned.
Old 06-27-15, 06:34 PM
kmm
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The training materials say the shifter must be in the manual mode. Will give it a time next time I go for a drive.

"Blipping downshift control is activated when downshifts are selected with the shift paddle switch or the shift lever. This only occurs in the SPORT modes with the shift lever in M position."
Old 06-27-15, 06:45 PM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

I tried that today, no luck....
Old 06-27-15, 06:46 PM
kmm
Pole Position

You moved the shifter to M mode?
Old 06-27-15, 06:51 PM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Yes and the car was in Sport mode.
Old 06-27-15, 07:15 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Mine does a nice job of smoothly engaging the lower gear with an increased RPM. Have you tried manually downshifting at various RPM ranges?

If you will manually downshift one gear at say 2,800 RPMs the engine should increase RPM to smoothly engage the next lower gear sending the RPMs to say 3,500 RPMs...and when engine braking takes the RPMs down to 2,800 RPMs again, then downshift once again to the next lower gear, and so on. Each time you downshift the engine speed should blip up to engage the lower gear smoothly just like if you blipped the throttle with your foot in a manual transmission car to purposely match the RPMs of the lower gear you were going into. This engine speed increase 'blipping' happens with the GS 350 not because the lower gear causes the engine's RPMs to rise, but instead because the transmission communicates with the engine in a split-second to increase the engine speed 'as' the downshift happens, thus 'matching' the engine speed necessary for a smooth transition into the lower gear.

Last edited by bclexus; 07-01-15 at 01:38 PM.
Old 06-28-15, 08:28 AM
Mr. Klean
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Thats funny because mine ('15 F-Sport) rev-matches in any mode (well, I dont know about ECO because i've never used that one) as long as i'm in manual mode....weird.
Old 06-29-15, 05:51 PM
kmm
Pole Position

Played with the paddles today, with and without the shifter in "M" mode and couldn't tell a difference.

-UNLESS-

I kept my foot on the accelerator while downshifting with the shifter in the "M" mode.

The car shifted smoother-but defeats the purpose of downshifting as the car didn't slow down the steep hill I was driving on.

For now, I will leave the shifter in drive when using the paddles.

The slight transmission jolt when the car downshifts seems normal to me.
Old 06-29-15, 07:25 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 183 Likes on 130 Posts

One would think they'd update all the transmission tunes. Our IS350 AWD Luxury revmatches in any mode if you downshift with the paddles.
Old 06-30-15, 01:31 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Kmm: What are you trying to do, use engine braking by downshifting? Rev matching cancels that out by keeping the engine rpm's matched up to the gear so it won't jerk.

Keep your foot off the gas and downshift and it'll engine brake as you expect. I do this when I just need to shave a few mph off in traffic but don't need to drop enough speed to use the brakes.

At the end of the day though, I'll never forget what my dad used to say. "Brake pads are cheaper than transmissions".
Old 06-30-15, 01:47 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Mine rev match downshift when I'm downshifting in M shifting mode and even in Eco mode. U don't have to be in Sport or S+ mode, just in M shifting mode.

Sometimes it doesn't rev match, especially when ur not going that fast. Try going from 50 to 0 and downshift all the way to 1st gear to near a stop. One by one of course and watch the RPM dance. Don't worry u can't over-rev ur motor, it's protected. The sound is addicting, it goes Bwaahhh... Bwaaahhh.. Bwaaaaahhh!!!

Last edited by ItzFilyO; 06-30-15 at 01:50 PM.
Old 07-01-15, 10:38 AM
99alta
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sivikvtec
I've seen videos of the 4GS rev match downshifting. Mine doesn't do it, but it's not a Luxury or Fsport, so maybe that's why?
Been reading this thread,reading and trying to figure out what the heck rev matching is?

Remember I'm old school, so if you downshift, the tranny drops a gear and the RPM goes up. What am I missing here guys? Every car I've ever owned does that and so does my Lexus, so I'm confused, what you guys are talking about The only post that makes sense to me is bclexus's as that's just how downshifting should work, period (in my world lol)

e.g. I drive into a school zone on a daily basis, doesn't matter what mode I'm in ECO, etc. hit the -paddle shifter a few times the RPM come up and the car slows down. Is this now something new called rev matching ?
What happens to those of you saying your car does not rev match, when do as the example above?
Old 07-01-15, 10:51 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

The car blips the throttle for u like a real manual except that u have to do it urserlf in a manual car.

U can see him downshifts at 1:30. See how he goes from 5th gear to 2nd? That's rev matching and the sound is addicting. Only works in M mode not when downshifting in D.

Last edited by ItzFilyO; 07-01-15 at 10:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Do only cars with S+ rev match downshift?