GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Very Disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-15, 07:20 PM
KJD3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very Disappointed

I picked up my new GS two weeks ago tomorrow. About a week into ownership I was washing my car and noticed that the paint was very rough on the front bumper, about where the fog lights would be. I figured that it was probably over spray. I took my car back to my dealership and spoke with the general manager about it. He asked me if I would leave my GS to have their body shop confirm if it was over spray or not. I got a call a couple of hours later and was informed that my GS front bumper had been repainted. My dealership did a dealer trade with the Lexus dealership in Akron, OH, but my GS had also been inventoried at the Naperville, IL Lexus dealership prior to being inventoried at the Akron dealership. I picked up my GS with 84 miles on the odometer and it was literally 2 hours off the transport trailer, so I know there was no way that my dealership would have had time to repaint the bumper. In addition to this I had curb rash on two of my wheels, which my dealership has already repaired. My dealer is willing to replace the front bumper completely and repaint it at no cost to me. But I don't want a brand new $60K car that is less than 2 weeks old to have a body panel repainted. I've contacted Lexus corporate office and let them know the situation and told them that I didn't want this car anymore because of the front bumper and they're suppose to investigate and get back to me. I also pointed out to the general manager that some of the body panel gaps were inconsistent around the front bumper and hood. I honestly think that my car had been hit in the front in a minor accident and whatever dealership did it tried to hide it which is why I want my car replaced, not repaired. Any suddggestions or comments on how to handle this with Lexus corporate would be appreciated.
Old 06-25-15, 07:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

This kind of thing is more common than you think. Dealers bump up new cars and repair them all the time.

I think you should reconsider your position about wanting a new car. They should repaint the bumper for you, and assuming that you are happy with the outcome from that I would just accept it and move on. My new $80,000 LS had a curb scuff on the front bumper and the dealer repainted the bumper and its perfect. The truth is, this likely has happened to cars you've bought before and you just didn't know. If it was something other than a bumper, I might feel differently but a bumper is easy to repaint. Very similar situation, my car was a dealer exchange too that my dealer had just gotten.

Its a HUGE deal for the dealer to swap you into another car. That car has been titled now, and they would have to sell it as a used car which would be a huge loss. Lexus won't bear that loss, because the simple remedy is to repair the car, the dealer will have to. You've sated that it isn;t your selling dealer's fault...so why stick them with a multi-thousand dollar loss without giving them the opportunity to fix the car?
Old 06-25-15, 07:37 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't have a problem with them selling a car with a minor incident. I do have a problem with it not being repaired well enough. If they had done it right the first this situation would exist.
Old 06-25-15, 07:45 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Any repairs (wheel scuffs, touch-ups, repaints, etc.) should be recorded in car's history (new or used) while under the control of a dealership....just like any regular service work (e.g. oil & filter change, alignment, etc.). The owner has a right to know if the dealership has performed service of any kind on the car they are selling; new or used.

I do not blame you for being disappointed...
Old 06-25-15, 07:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bclexus
Any repairs (wheel scuffs, touch-ups, repaints, etc.) should be recorded in car's history (new or used) while under the control of a dealership....just like any regular service work (e.g. oil & filter change, alignment, etc.). The owner has a right to know if the dealership has performed service of any kind on the car they are selling; new or used.
They sometimes are. I have on more than one occasion read stories on here when somebody finds out after delivery a repair was done when they pull up the service history on lexusdrivers.com

My bumper repair is in the service history.
Old 06-25-15, 08:27 PM
fuddyduddy
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Have the bumper repaired, and keep the car that you bought and like. This is a minor thing, it's not like you have a lemon.
Old 06-25-15, 09:36 PM
KJD3
Driver

It would have been one thing if it was disclosed when I purchased the vehicle, but it wasn't and it's not even recorded in Lexus's internal service records. I'm not trying to stick it to my dealer. They're going above and beyond to take care of the situation, however I do want the dealership that repainted the bumper to pay for repair or replacement, whatever corporate ends up deciding.
Old 06-25-15, 09:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If your dealer is willing to pay for it, don't get in the mire of trying to say which dealer pays. Let them work that out, just get your car fixed.
Old 06-25-15, 09:57 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Cars get damaged during transport more than you think....

The repair could have been done even during port transit, prior to dealership taking possession..

Dealership may have not even known it was fixed

Usually if a repair happens at the Logisitics level, it's normally 100% not noticeable..

Joe Z
Old 06-26-15, 01:02 AM
KJD3
Driver

Thanks for the replies. I feel a little bit better about the situation. It's just frustrating that I've owned the car for two weeks and it's been at the dealership for a week.
Old 06-26-15, 01:11 AM
Pwrov1
Rookie

I used to work at a dealership and I have seen tons of cars damaged from transport trucks. One time a transporter showed up with a Chevy Trailblazer convertible edition A repainted front bumper isn't a big deal really. I can certainly see your frustration though. If I just bought a new car I would want to be enjoying it. Not taking care of an issue that soon! But you'll be back in the driver seat soon enough. Just don't rush them because you want to make sure they do it right this time!
Old 06-26-15, 05:07 AM
vinnier6
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would take the new bumper cover, have them paint it off the car, then ask them to compensate you with some clear bra
Old 06-26-15, 05:20 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,209 Likes on 956 Posts

I'd be disappointed too. Just like when I found out that women commonly fake an orgasm. It was a perfect ride until I found out the truth Then I realized it was still a good ride, no matter.
Old 06-26-15, 05:44 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would be very unhappy if a brand new car was delivered to me with damage like a poorly repainted front bumper and possible collision damage. A rock chip is one thing, a poorly repainted bumper is another thing. I would ask for a new car.
Old 06-26-15, 05:55 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Did you check the vehicle service history on Lexus.com? Create an account, if you don't already have one and add that vehicle's VIN to your account. You'll be able see everything that has been recorded for the vehicle. See if it mentions anything about repairing the front bumper.

I'd be pissed too though...

Quick Reply: Very Disappointed