GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Very Disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-15, 05:28 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

Just making sure you all realize that both dealerships may have no clue if the bumper was resprayed...

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Cars get damaged during transport more than you think....

The repair could have been done even during port transit, prior to dealership taking possession..

Dealerships may have not even known it was fixed

Usually if a repair happens at the Logisitics level, it's normally 100% not noticeable..

Joe Z
Old 06-26-15, 05:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

No! Every new car that gets a scratch on it should just be scrapped entirely!
Old 06-26-15, 07:05 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,996 Likes on 1,418 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Bumpers are repaired and replaced every day, its not on the Carfax (I have never had a bumper replacement show up on a carfax) and as far as resale, most Lexus dealers repaint bumpers as a part of CPO. Theres no diminished value from a repainted bumper.

They're replacing and repainting his bumper and he's getting a $700 value clear bra out of the deal.
Repainting a new or almost new car's bumper most definitely diminishes the car's value. What if it was the hood? How about the driver's door?

The dealer may be replacing and repainting the bumper, and giving the owner a ~$700 value clear bra, but $700 that may not be enough in the view of the owner.

My first-hand experience - My new BMW M3 was hit with a thrown egg on Halloween night in which the egg shell pitted and scratched the hood near the rear cowl area. It was bad enough that I wanted it fixed because I knew it would always bug the hell out of me. Anyway, the police caught the three boys that night and they admitted to throwing the egg that hit my car. I received a written statement from my local BMW dealership that repainting the hood would diminish the value of my car by $3,750. Repainting the hood by my expert (show car quality) was $2,100. Each of the three boy's parents paid $1,950 to cover the cost of repainting the hood and the diminished value of my car at that time. That was better than their sons answering for what they did in court, considering there was a police report and police witness to their confession. Bottom line - I would have MUCH preferred that my car had not been damaged...

Last edited by bclexus; 06-26-15 at 07:57 PM.
Old 06-26-15, 07:47 PM
dougm213
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The OP's perspective should not be dismissed. This would bother me if this happened to a 20K car or a more expensive one. It bothers me if the potential exists that someone/some organization took advantage of/duped me. In today's world we are conditioned to suspect this at every turn. The right thing for the offending dealer to do was to disclose it, yes they would have lost money or broke even, but instead the potential exists that the OP is now stuck with loss of value. At least the buyer would have known what he was getting.

OP, your feelings are understandable. To me my perception is that factory painted is better than non-factory. I have had 2 paint repairs (different places) on past vehicles and on each had issues down the road(albeit years). Otherwise, this would be a non-issue as long as it would not hit your car history. Something does not sell for what it is worth but instead for its perceived worth and negatives on car fax impact perception.

Since the business does not take into account emotion, you should attempt to get the best deal you believe you can and for what is fair. My understanding is if I had a bumper repaired and it went thru insurance then yes it would be reported, with out insurance, I don't know if it does. If not, I would get some service appointments in the future thrown in and take the offer.

Good Luck, and put this behind you so you can enjoy the car. You will find out why we are all are such fans.

Last edited by dougm213; 06-26-15 at 08:29 PM.
Old 06-26-15, 07:57 PM
dougm213
Intermediate

No! Every new car that gets a scratch on it should just be scrapped entirely!
I haven't read anyone say scrap it. I believe the point of many is compensation and remediation for the situation. Have you ever bought something new and found out it was refurbished? I have. It bothered me to know it is no longer new from the factory. Those of us who buy new are buying new because it doesn't come with problems or issues and it is new. When it has been damaged it is no longer the case. Since the paint was not applied at the factory under the best conditions, there is a higher likelihood it can fail down the road, even years.

If a TV is returned because of a problem, it must be sold as refurbished.
Old 06-26-15, 08:28 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,220 Likes on 635 Posts

Because every time somebody scuffs a wheel it damages the alignment or suspension? Come on...quit trying to invent problems guys.
In this situation you have no foundation to go to that extreme. You have no clue what happened to the car, neither does the owner. It could be nothing, it could be something. By the time he would know for sure if there were a problem (without checking), his tires would have premature wear and he would incur yet another expense. An alignment is an inexpensive procedure, the dealership could check it easily.
Old 06-26-15, 08:32 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

I believe u do get a one time free alignment within 1 year of purchase.
Old 06-26-15, 09:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bclexus
Repainting a new or almost new car's bumper most definitely diminishes the car's value. What if it was the hood? How about the driver's door?
Theres a difference between a bumper and a hood or a door. Ask your insurance company if they will pay a diminished value claim for a new bumper. I've traded in plenty of cars with repainted bumpers...it never even came up. I traded in two cars with $3000+ in repaired hail damage...never even came up nor was it on a carfax.

Bumpers being repainted get a pass when it comes to diminished value. Lexus actually excludes bumpers when it comes to how many panels they'll allow repainted for a car to be CPO. They don't count them.

Originally Posted by dougm213
Have you ever bought something new and found out it was refurbished? I have. It bothered me to know it is no longer new from the factory. Those of us who buy new are buying new because it doesn't come with problems or issues and it is new. When it has been damaged it is no longer the case. Since the paint was not applied at the factory under the best conditions, there is a higher likelihood it can fail down the road, even years.
Those of us who buy new? I've never bought a car that wasn't new. I bought an LS460 last month that this exact same thing happened to, including the bit about the other dealer. My bumper is repainted and its perfect. Who cares?

If the bumper is painted properly, it will not fail early, and the work should carry a lifetime warranty as work from any good body shop should.

Of course nobody wants something like this to happen, but it does happen. Like I said, the dealer will NOT give you a new car. Its not going to happen, so you can either choose to be satisfied with the car or you can choose to get rid of it and take the loss yourself and buy one that you feel is "more new".

If a TV is returned because of a problem, it must be sold as refurbished.
This is a completely different situation. If your TV has an issue, and they fix it...they won't give you a new one. If they can't fix it, they'll give you a new one and refurbish the old one. His car hasn't been "returned", he identified a problem, they're going to fix it. Thats their prerogative.

Originally Posted by 95bat
In this situation you have no foundation to go to that extreme. You have no clue what happened to the car, neither does the owner. It could be nothing, it could be something. By the time he would know for sure if there were a problem (without checking), his tires would have premature wear and he would incur yet another expense. An alignment is an inexpensive procedure, the dealership could check it easily.
And I'm sure if you asked the dealer to check the alignment, they would.

Should we all always require the dealer to present us with alignment specs when we buy a new car? Because...we never know what may have happened to the car.

See how this gets absurd?
Old 06-27-15, 08:18 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,220 Likes on 635 Posts

Should we all always require the dealer to present us with alignment specs when we buy a new car? Because...we never know what may have happened to the car.

See how this gets absurd?
Anything can seem absurd when taken to the extreme. Every buyer should get alignment specs because one person with curb rash on two wheels should get an alignment? That's not what anybody is saying here. I actually mostly agree with you here. I'd repair the car and be happy, but the repairs I want would be a fixed bumper and an alignment.

My previous car, which I purchased new, had a dented bumper when I bought it. The dealership fixed it before I took delivery of the car and I enjoyed it for 3 1/2 years before getting the GS. I could never tell the bumper had been worked on. I'm sure they can be done in this situation too.
Old 06-27-15, 10:29 AM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Obviously you know a lot more about car buying and car body repair process than most of us , still doesnt change the fact that paying for a new car only to receive a car with a "fixed" bumper is outrageous.

My initial reaction is what anyone spending a large amount of money on a should feel when told that theyre just going to repaint the bumper on their new purchase. No one likes repainted bumpers. And no matter what you say about depreciation, it is a situation that every single seller/trader has to deal with when they get rid of the car, one way or the other.

For example, we have a camry here that we didnt notice had the front and rear bumper repainted. When we trade it in we will have to take a loss since the mismatched color will definitely be noticed. What do you think hell say when I mention that my forum buddy SW15LS told me bumpers shouldnt be taken into account when deducting for damages?
Sure, you bought your 80k car and accepted the repainted bumper, doesnt mean we cant post here to detail our dissatisfaction with the whole process.

In a perfect world a new car means new everything, not repainted or repaired, I don't care who's fault it was. I mean, doesnt that apply to EVERY-SINGLE-THING we buy on this planet? Everything except cars...and that my friend ... is BS.

MEAHT
Old 06-27-15, 11:21 AM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

One of the reasons that same dealer in Lexington KY low balled me on the trade value of my 99 GS4 was because of a repainted bumper, which I believe was repainted as part of the CPO process years ago. The carfax was perfect. I'm glad I decided not to do business with them.
Old 06-27-15, 11:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MEAHT
Obviously you know a lot more about car buying and car body repair process than most of us , still doesnt change the fact that paying for a new car only to receive a car with a "fixed" bumper is outrageous.
It is what it is. He took delivery of the car, they're not going to take it back and give him a new car. Its not like a store where they can just return the defective merchandise to the manufacturer. The car has been titled now, by law its a USED car.

For example, we have a camry here that we didnt notice had the front and rear bumper repainted. When we trade it in we will have to take a loss since the mismatched color will definitely be noticed. What do you think hell say when I mention that my forum buddy SW15LS told me bumpers shouldnt be taken into account when deducting for damages?
I didn't say POORLY repainted bumpers don't detract from a car's value. A properly painted bumper will not have a color mismatch. I have no color mismatch...the OP wasn't complaining about a color mismatch.

FWIW though, there was an IMHO pretty noticeable color mismatch on my 2010 ES front bumper when I traded it in. Never came up. Lexus (two dealers) didn't care, Carmax didn't care.

Sure, you bought your 80k car and accepted the repainted bumper, doesnt mean we cant post here to detail our dissatisfaction with the whole process.
Sure you can, but I'm actually trying to help the OP. Rating and raving that they should give him a new car isn't helping him, because thats NOT going to happen. Helping him determine a fair outcome and helping him be happy with his car helps him. A new bumper and a $700 clear bra IMHO is very fair.

In a perfect world a new car means new everything, not repainted or repaired, I don't care who's fault it was. I mean, doesnt that apply to EVERY-SINGLE-THING we buy on this planet? Everything except cars...and that my friend ... is BS.
Thats your opinion but its not reality. A new car with a repainted bumper is absolutely still a new car, the law spells out what a "new car" is.

I didn't make the rules so don't whine to me about them.
Old 06-27-15, 11:28 AM
dougm213
Intermediate

Who is to know if was only the bumper, could there have been damage underneath.

SW15LS, it was your choice to accept the repainted bumper as is your right, but you had the choice. The OP was not given that consideration. That is the point. Buying something that is damaged takes something away from the special feeling of buying a new car.

And your point of the painting being of the same standard as factory, your can't be sure. And no there is no lifetime warranty, the OP gets the warranty that comes with the car, I think 5 years. I keep my cars a long time, I don't want an issue 7 years down the road. It is only after years that many paint jobs show a difference and usually quite obvious.

Given all that, the OP has little recourse which is why I suggest take the offer and get the 15K and 20K service thrown in. As you said, it costs the dealer their cost, not what the public pays.

Last edited by dougm213; 06-27-15 at 11:36 AM.
Old 06-27-15, 11:35 AM
dougm213
Intermediate

SW15LS you are not coming across as helping, I've read all your posts here and it more sounds like you are being critical that someone shows disappointment and is upset at the feeling of getting something less than new (by their definition, not the law).

You are right it is what is it. There is a limit to what the dealer/Lexus will do. It is up to the OP to deem what is acceptable.

It is what it is. He took delivery of the car, they're not going to take it back and give him a new car. Its not like a store where they can just return the defective merchandise to the manufacturer. The car has been titled now, by law its a USED car.

I didn't say POORLY repainted bumpers don't detract from a car's value. A properly painted bumper will not have a color mismatch. I have no color mismatch...the OP wasn't complaining about a color mismatch.

FWIW though, there was an IMHO pretty noticeable color mismatch on my 2010 ES front bumper when I traded it in. Never came up. Lexus (two dealers) didn't care, Carmax didn't care.

Sure you can, but I'm actually trying to help the OP. Rating and raving that they should give him a new car isn't helping him, because thats NOT going to happen. Helping him determine a fair outcome and helping him be happy with his car helps him. A new bumper and a $700 clear bra IMHO is very fair.

Thats your opinion but its not reality. A new car with a repainted bumper is absolutely still a new car, the law spells out what a "new car" is.

I didn't make the rules so don't whine to me about them.
Old 06-27-15, 11:36 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dougm213
Who is to know if was only the bumper, could there have been damage underneath.
Again...you're looking for problems. The overwhelming likelihood is that it was just the bumper, and it was a minor cosmetic thing. Just like in all likelihood the scuffed wheel has not damaged the suspension.

SW15LS, it was your choice to accept the repainted bumper as is your right, but you had the choice. The OP was not given that consideration. That is the point. Buying something that is damaged takes something away from the special feeling of buying a new car.
I don't disagree, but what is he to do about it? Nothing...so why rant and rave about it? In all likelihood you've bought new cars that have had cosmetic repairs too...you just don't know.

And your point of the painting being the as the same standard, your can't be sure. And no there is no lifetime warranty, the OP gets the warranty that comes with the car, I think 5 years. I keep my cars along time, I don't want an issue 7 years down the road. It is only after years that many paint jobs show a difference and usually quite obvious.
Any good body shop should warrant their body and paint work FOR LIFE. Make sure the dealer's shop does so, and keep the paperwork. We had the bumper repainted by the Lexus dealer on the 98 LS not long after we got it. 5 years later the paint peeled. Guess what? They repainted it for free under their lifetime warranty.

That was an entirely different dealer than the one I use today, guess what I got with my repainted bumper? A lifetime warranty on the paint. The non dealer shop that painted the bumper on my 2010 ES and 2003 ES? Lifetime warranty on the paint.

BTW, the 2003 ES is still in the family, that repair is at this point 10 years old and it looks perfect, you would never know it was different paint from the rest of the car.

So much of being satisfied is choosing to be satisfied. The OP is going to have to live with a repainted bumper. Yes it sucks...but he can CHOOSE to be satisfied or he can let it ruin ownership of his new car right now.

I've read all your posts here and it more sounds like you are being critical that someone shows disappointment and is upset at the feeling of getting something less than new (by their definition, not the law).
I'm not being critical of him at all, he is justified in being upset and he seems to have reasonable expectations of an outcome. Its you guys I'm being critical of. How is it helping him to egg him on to demand a new car when thats not a possible outcome, or to try and convince him his car will never be the same? It isn't...at all.

Quick Reply: Very Disappointed