GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Very Disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-15, 06:35 AM
wiredup
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Folks--the problem is when you go to sell a car the FIRST question asked: "any body repair to the vehicle?" It AUTOMATICALLY reduces the value of the car. Thus, rather than a "car swap," maybe in lieu of they can offer the repair AND services/etc.

Depreciation pulling off the lot is bad enough, why eat repairs...
Old 06-26-15, 07:33 AM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with OP. Had I seen this on my GS I would not take the same car no matter what the dealer has to go through.
Straight up and down dealer has to eat that, cant put that on the customer

MEAHT
Old 06-26-15, 07:55 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Better to swap a bumper cover with another car than repainting ur old one. U will be able to tell difference no matter what, aftermarket paint will never be 100% match factory paint.

I would ask for a new car if that happens to me. When u try to sell the car later or trade it in they're going to be asking questions on why is the bumper paint different from the rest of the car. They'll think the car has been in an accident and not reported. Better take a real brand new car than a repaired brand new car. U are paying for a brand new car right?
Old 06-26-15, 08:42 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

I'd be pissed too. I would have them fix it but compensate you for your trouble. Maybe a free service. It's real easy to say it happens all the time etc, but it's still a big hassle to take care of these things. Like I tell people, that's why I don't buy used cars .
Old 06-26-15, 08:49 AM
dajael
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SW15LS
This kind of thing is more common than you think. Dealers bump up new cars and repair them all the time.

I think you should reconsider your position about wanting a new car. They should repaint the bumper for you, and assuming that you are happy with the outcome from that I would just accept it and move on. My new $80,000 LS had a curb scuff on the front bumper and the dealer repainted the bumper and its perfect. The truth is, this likely has happened to cars you've bought before and you just didn't know. If it was something other than a bumper, I might feel differently but a bumper is easy to repaint. Very similar situation, my car was a dealer exchange too that my dealer had just gotten.

Its a HUGE deal for the dealer to swap you into another car. That car has been titled now, and they would have to sell it as a used car which would be a huge loss. Lexus won't bear that loss, because the simple remedy is to repair the car, the dealer will have to. You've sated that it isn;t your selling dealer's fault...so why stick them with a multi-thousand dollar loss without giving them the opportunity to fix the car?
I agree 100% with this person!!! Fantastic response and "dead on" with regards to the car business!

Peace,

Jason
Old 06-26-15, 09:10 AM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Pwrov1
I used to work at a dealership and I have seen tons of cars damaged from transport trucks. One time a transporter showed up with a Chevy Trailblazer convertible edition A repainted front bumper isn't a big deal really. I can certainly see your frustration though. If I just bought a new car I would want to be enjoying it. Not taking care of an issue that soon! But you'll be back in the driver seat soon enough. Just don't rush them because you want to make sure they do it right this time!
i worked at one too, when i was a young lad...
i was the lot guy, and we would bring NEW cars to the body shop ALL the time....
they get damaged on the transport truck(like you said), and they get damaged in the parking lot.

hope you get it all straightened out OP
Old 06-26-15, 09:47 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by wiredup
Folks--the problem is when you go to sell a car the FIRST question asked: "any body repair to the vehicle?" It AUTOMATICALLY reduces the value of the car. Thus, rather than a "car swap," maybe in lieu of they can offer the repair AND services/etc.

Depreciation pulling off the lot is bad enough, why eat repairs...

I would ask for some type of compensation. Replacing the whole car might be a long shot.
Old 06-26-15, 10:08 AM
ModInJapan
Lexus Enthusiasts

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts

I feel your pain.. It must suck having a two week old car, finding out it was repaired, and then not having it for another week. Now it makes me wonder if my car was ever repaired without my knowledge..

I believe that getting a new bumper that is perfectly paint matched should be a good enough solution.

-Josh
Old 06-26-15, 10:09 AM
r4nd0
Rookie

Shady! ... though I've long suspected this happens more often than new car buyers realize. If you haven't yet filled out your customer satisfaction survey for the new car purchase, you may be able to use that as leverage to gain satisfaction.
Old 06-26-15, 10:19 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by MEAHT
I agree with OP. Had I seen this on my GS I would not take the same car no matter what the dealer has to go through.
Straight up and down dealer has to eat that, cant put that on the customer
Its just not going to happen. The dealer isn't going to give him a new car. So, you can expect that and set yourself up to be disappointed or you can have realistic expectations of a positive outcome and be satisfied.

Its not a question of "taking" the car. He has the car, he took delivery, the deal is done. The dealer doesn't legally owe him anything. Going in there and making unreasonable demands is just going to get him shown the door.
Old 06-26-15, 10:38 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,415 Posts

If the damage was $1,000 or greater and the prior damage was not disclosed in writing to the purchaser of the vehicle, then the Kentucky dealership has broken Kentucky's state law that became effective in 2009 - reference KRS 186A.540.

If the dealership failed to satisfy KRS 186A.540 the owner can force the dealership to 'take back the vehicle' under Kentucky's state law, and if necessary Kentucky's Attorney General's Consumer's Protection Office will get involved.

The question is - was the prior damage $1,000 or greater? Probably not...

Last edited by bclexus; 06-26-15 at 12:13 PM.
Old 06-26-15, 11:07 AM
KJD3
Driver

Default Very Disappointed

What my dealership is willing to do was replace the bumper and repaint it. For my troubles they're going to clear bra the front bumper (after 45 days and the paint cures), the hood to the top of the wheel well, the fenders also to the top of the wheel well, and the mirrors.

Originally Posted by bclexus
If the damage was $1,000 or greater and the prior damage was not disclosed in writing to the purchaser of the vehicle, then the Kentucky dealership has broken Kentucky's state law that became effective in 2009 - reference KRS 186A.540.

If the dealership failed to satisfy KRS 186A.540 the owner can force the dealership to 'take back the vehicle' under Kentucky's state law, and if necessary Kentucky's Attorney General's Consumer's Protection Office will get involved.

The question is - was the prior damage $1,000 or greater? Probably not...
Interesting... But I wonder how it's handled if the vehicle was dealer traded from an out of state dealership and the dealership taking the trade didn't know about the damage.

And for those who say I should be more reasonable about wanting the dealership to take my car back and give me a new one, I haven't asked my dealership to take it back. When I called corporate they asked me what I would like to do, I told them it would be nice to have my car replaced because I am essentially buying a $60,000 car with body work. I wasn't being an *** about it, I mentioned it once and moved on. They're currently investing it and if they come back and agree too replace my car then great, if not then that's fine, I'll just expect my car to be perfect when is done. It never hurts to ask.

Last edited by KJD3; 06-26-15 at 11:16 AM.
Old 06-26-15, 11:31 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KJD3
What my dealership is willing to do was replace the bumper and repaint it. For my troubles they're going to clear bra the front bumper (after 45 days and the paint cures), the hood to the top of the wheel well, the fenders also to the top of the wheel well, and the mirrors.

Interesting... But I wonder how it's handled if the vehicle was dealer traded from an out of state dealership and the dealership taking the trade didn't know about the damage.

And for those who say I should be more reasonable about wanting the dealership to take my car back and give me a new one, I haven't asked my dealership to take it back. When I called corporate they asked me what I would like to do, I told them it would be nice to have my car replaced because I am essentially buying a $60,000 car with body work. I wasn't being an *** about it, I mentioned it once and moved on. They're currently investing it and if they come back and agree too replace my car then great, if not then that's fine, I'll just expect my car to be perfect when is done. It never hurts to ask.
It is not your problem to wonder how it will be handled since the vehicle was traded dealer to dealer. In fact, just the contrary. It was your dealer's duty to disclose the damage to you the buyer - if the damage was $1,000 or greater. If there was a failure of one dealer to disclose to another dealer the damage, that is not for you to figure out why...or to be concerned with in justifying your legal recourse. Your issue is - you are claiming to have received a new vehicle that had damage of $1,000 or more, which was not disclosed to you in writing prior to purchase...and this fails to meet the duty of the dealer and Kentucky Statute KRS 186A.540. If you purchased a new vehicle that had prior damage totaling $1,000 or greater that was not disclosed to you in writing by the seller, then your state allows you to make claim and have the vehicle taken back and your outlay of expenses to purchase said vehicle returned back to you. If you wish to have the damaged vehicle replaced with another one, then that is up to you.

Last edited by bclexus; 06-26-15 at 12:14 PM.
Old 06-26-15, 12:17 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

A Kentucky Car Dealer’s Duty to Disclose Prior Damage to a Motor Vehicle

The above Q&A is provided by an attorney practicing in the state of Kentucky that specializes in Lemon Law and Consumer Protection.

Hope this helps...
Old 06-26-15, 12:23 PM
KJD3
Driver

Default Very Disappointed

Definitely a very interesting read. Thank you! I had no idea about any of that.

Quick Reply: Very Disappointed