GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Air Conditioning Problem? Anyone else with the same?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-15, 04:11 PM
Rufio808
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Air Conditioning Problem? Anyone else with the same?

I have a 2013 GS350 F-Sport in riviera red. With about 26,xxx miles

The issue is after the car has been sitting for several hours or overnight. I turn the car on and the A/C is off and all my temp settings are back to 75° and the fan is off, non of the previous settings were remembered from the previous use. This issue doesn't happen all the time. But enough to cause concern.

Any help is greatly appreciate.
Old 06-25-15, 04:47 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Has anyone replaced the Cabin Air Filter (or removed the door that holds the filter) just prior to experiencing this problem?
Old 06-25-15, 05:49 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Has anyone replaced the Cabin Air Filter (or removed the door that holds the filter) just prior to experiencing this problem?
I've removed my cabin filter and my AC works like normal.
Old 06-25-15, 06:02 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Well, you took off on me after I asked whether the Cabin Air Filter had been replaced, or removed the filter tray door that holds the filter.

You likely:
(1) Have the Cabin Air Filter upside down
(2) Removed the Cabin Air Filter door without selecting the 'Recirculate' button first.

If (1) above, then you may be okay and can re-install the filter correctly and nothing is damaged, and everything will be okay.
However, if (2) above, then you may have broken either the blend door and/or the servo motor.

Do you hear any clicking noise from the dash area, like a damaged plastic gear is slipping on gear cogs?

Sometimes the blend door can be put back into position and everything is okay. However, if you have damaged the servo motor gear then the repair cost can be upwards to $2,000 to fix.

PS - That is why it's a good idea to allow Lexus to replace [even] the Cabin Air Filter unless of course you really (REALLY) know what you are doing. Because your local Jiffy Lube or Joe's Auto Service just might not know to push that little 'Recirculate' button first before opening the Cabin Air Filter tray door. And it will be doubtful that your Lexus dealership will replace this under warranty!
Old 06-25-15, 06:08 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
I've removed my cabin filter and my AC works like normal.
Just a warning - Be Careful! Be VERY Careful.

Look HERE

And HERE

And HERE

The above threads are for the LS, but applies to most all recent Lexus models.

HERE is one for the 3GS.

Last edited by bclexus; 06-25-15 at 06:52 PM.
Old 06-25-15, 06:22 PM
mattah
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh that's good to know.
Old 06-25-15, 06:39 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mattah
Oh that's good to know.
Something that most don't know! And it could be very, very costly...
Old 06-25-15, 07:07 PM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, I've spent serious time looking through the 4GS forum over the years and never heard of this! Thanks so much for the heads up, I could easily see myself making this mistake.
Old 06-25-15, 07:22 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sivikvtec
Wow, I've spent serious time looking through the 4GS forum over the years and never heard of this! Thanks so much for the heads up, I could easily see myself making this mistake.
You are welcome. Most people think that replacing the Cabin Air Filter is a simple procedure, which it is IF you know what MUST be done. Otherwise, it could cost you upwards of $2,000 to fix it. Just another reason why it is not a good idea to have even simple service done at your local Dirty ****'s Lube Hut & Car Wash.
Old 06-25-15, 08:51 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Just a warning - Be Careful! Be VERY Careful.

Look HERE

And HERE

And HERE

The above threads are for the LS, but applies to most all recent Lexus models.

HERE is one for the 3GS.
Dammit!!! I didn't know about that!! Good thing mine didn't get messed up. Thanks man!!!
Old 06-26-15, 06:10 AM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Rufio808

The issue is after the car has been sitting for several hours or overnight. I turn the car on and the A/C is off and all my temp settings are back to 75° and the fan is off, non of the previous settings were remembered from the previous use. This issue doesn't happen all the time. But enough to cause concern.

Did you pair one of key fobs with a seat memory? Easy to test, lock the car walk away, come back unlock the car and get in. See what the ac setting is then repeat again with the other key fob to see if the seat memory-ac-radio has the same settings. One of my key fobs was paired with the stereo off, the other was not. The fobs when paired to a seat memory button remember a lot of settings. Climate control mirrors stereo seat heaters/coolers.
Old 06-26-15, 07:32 AM
faifai83
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Rufio808

Did you have your ECU reflashed as part of the TSB?
Old 06-26-15, 05:04 PM
Rufio808
Pit Crew

Lexus does all of my servicing, is there a way to check if it's upside down?

Also, no clicking noises....... When I turn on the car, the only thing that lights up is the "AUTO" button next tot the recirculate. And on the display at the top, it says Fan off.
Old 06-26-15, 05:05 PM
Rufio808
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by faifai83
Did you have your ECU reflashed as part of the TSB?
? I don't quite understand....... What's a TSB? And why would Lexus need to re flash my ecu?
Old 06-26-15, 05:07 PM
Rufio808
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jkeller
Did you pair one of key fobs with a seat memory? Easy to test, lock the car walk away, come back unlock the car and get in. See what the ac setting is then repeat again with the other key fob to see if the seat memory-ac-radio has the same settings. One of my key fobs was paired with the stereo off, the other was not. The fobs when paired to a seat memory button remember a lot of settings. Climate control mirrors stereo seat heaters/coolers.
There's only one key fob programmed, the seats and radio memories stay the same.... Just the climate control

Quick Reply: Air Conditioning Problem? Anyone else with the same?