GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Text Message Display Question - New Member as well

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-15, 12:53 PM
SlyPig
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Text Message Display Question - New Member as well

Thought I would ask since this group seems pretty skilled with Lexus...just found this forum and have to say that there is a ton of great info here, so thanks for all the great advice.

Just purchased a 2015 GS F-Sport - Black/Black with every option - car is awesome and I couldnt be happier moving from a 5 Series BMW to Lexus.

Quick question - I used to get text messages to display on the center screen which I could read while driving without having to pick up the phone...now that has vanished. Any idea how to get that to re-pop on the screen when a text comes through? I've gone through settings and cant seem to locate where to go...

Any help would be great.

Thanks.
Old 06-23-15, 01:06 PM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Congrats on the new ride. IOS or Android phone?
Old 06-23-15, 01:38 PM
SlyPig
Driver School Candidate

Android - Samsung GS4
Old 06-23-15, 01:54 PM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Sorry brother, can't help with android. Someone will chime in for you.
Old 06-23-15, 04:26 PM
Mr. Klean
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

How do you do it with an iPhone? That seems pretty cool.
Old 06-23-15, 05:32 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Android phones ask during the pairing if you want contact list and message history to be shared with
the car. Since you describe that it once worked but now doesn't you likely have the "dreaded" KitKat
upgrade bottleneck...too many messages rushing at the car and it rejects them all.

Sound too basic but, when did you last turn off the phone? Not mute/airplane mode...off/cold/dark off?
Gotta boot a computer, clear the cache, once a week ought to do it.

Simplest attempt is to just unpair the phone, deleting both the car entry from the phone and also deleting
the phone entry from the car. Repair and check off, "Don't Ask Again" both times it asks. After making a
regular phone call, shut off the car. Once you have restarted the car go to Menu/Phone/Messages and see
if your back in business. If not you are going to have to clear out your messages by deleting them all from
the phone...all of them...forever...
Old 06-24-15, 11:30 AM
jamodeo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Klean
How do you do it with an iPhone? That seems pretty cool.
Go into settings on the iPhone, click bluetooth, click the "i" next to the CAR MULTIMEDIA or whatever your cars bluetooth is called, flip on the toggle that says "Show Notifications."

-Joe
Old 06-24-15, 01:34 PM
99alta
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=jamodeo;9088440]Go into settings on the iPhone, click bluetooth, click the "i" next to the CAR MULTIMEDIA or whatever your cars bluetooth is called, flip on the toggle that says "Show Notifications."

-Joe[/QUOTE

Thanks Joe, an iPhone update must have turned this feature off. So I was wondering why I wasn't getting texts in the car as well. All good now!
Old 06-24-15, 04:16 PM
ITDude
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I wished the iPhone would allow the canned responses from the car like the Android does. I do like getting the message notifications on the nav screen. Neat feature!
Old 06-25-15, 02:18 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

The Android only allows the 15 canned (but editable while parked) responses, with Siri you
can press the "off hook" button and Siri will trill, say "text" or "text John Jones". She will respond
with "What do you want to text (to John Jones)". Compose any verbage you like and she will
read it back. "Ready to send it?" ...Yes...swoosh it's gone!
Siri Hands Free started in 2014. Works at the speed of Siri so you gotta be patient.
Old 06-25-15, 06:17 PM
ITDude
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mcomer
The Android only allows the 15 canned (but editable while parked) responses, with Siri you
can press the "off hook" button and Siri will trill, say "text" or "text John Jones". She will respond
with "What do you want to text (to John Jones)". Compose any verbage you like and she will
Siri Hands Free started in 2014. Works at the speed of Siri so you gotta be patient.
I know I really should read the manual from cover to cover. I will look at the manuals for something specific, but I know I am missing a lot of "jewels" like this. Thank you for the tip!
Old 06-25-15, 08:26 PM
RLtoGS350
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Android does the same but only if you're in the mode to be listening to the phone not AUX or SAT etc.
Old 06-25-15, 09:24 PM
Riverpilot
Driver School Candidate

Ya know, I've tried to get my iphone to do this but it doesn't work. I get the "text received" or whatever it says on the big navigation screen, but hitting the steering wheel button doesnt do a thing.

I know I'm missing something easy. lol... Help?
Old 06-30-15, 10:07 PM
99alta
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ITDude
I wished the iPhone would allow the canned responses from the car like the Android does. I do like getting the message notifications on the nav screen. Neat feature!
It does have canned responses, I was viewing them on my Navi screen tonight. Don't recall how many there are, but you can edit them as well. Don't even know how to use them yet, but I saw them

Plus I find that Siri does an Excellent job of voice recognition so totally hands free meets my meager needs.

Last edited by 99alta; 06-30-15 at 10:11 PM.
Old 07-01-15, 08:31 AM
Riverpilot
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 99alta
It does have canned responses, I was viewing them on my Navi screen tonight. Don't recall how many there are, but you can edit them as well. Don't even know how to use them yet, but I saw them

Plus I find that Siri does an Excellent job of voice recognition so totally hands free meets my meager needs.
How in the world do you guys get totally hands free? Anytime a text message shows up, it shows on the big screen, but I have to use the track control to click on "read text"...

Pressing the hang up button on the steering wheel, etc.. does not do a thing for me. This is with a iphone 6+.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Text Message Display Question - New Member as well