GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Does Variable Suspension feature really do anything when engaged via S+ mode?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-15, 11:00 AM
Kane007
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Does Variable Suspension feature really do anything when engaged via S+ mode?

Hi Guys, I have a 2013 GS350 with Luxury Package. I love the sport mode but I dont seem to notice anything when I go into Sport + mode regarding the Variable Suspension feature. I know that its supposed to firm up the suspension and steering a little bit but is it noticeable to you guys? What do you guys actually notice when you are in S+? When the feature is engaged, what physically happens to the suspension?
Old 06-21-15, 11:07 AM
xRYD3Rx
Lead Lap

Your car does not have S+
Only F sports have that.
Old 06-21-15, 11:28 AM
faifai83
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by xRYD3Rx
Only F sports have that.
Are you sure?
Old 06-21-15, 11:46 AM
Kane007
Driver

Only F sports have that.

you are 100% wrong. .. that comment literally just made me laugh.
Old 06-21-15, 11:47 AM
99alta
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kane007
Hi Guys, I have a 2013 GS350 with Luxury Package. I love the sport mode but I dont seem to notice anything when I go into Sport + mode regarding the Variable Suspension feature. I know that its supposed to firm up the suspension and steering a little bit but is it noticeable to you guys? What do you guys actually notice when you are in S+? When the feature is engaged, what physically happens to the suspension?
Yes I find it quite noticeable !

The steering seems a lot stiffer and on a couple of occasions when I forgot I was in + mode scared myself because the extra effort required.

The suspension does stiffen up as well and is noticeable, I mostly notice it on roads with large bumps in them.
Haven't driven it through the mountains yet to see how it differs when cornering at speed though.
Old 06-21-15, 11:53 AM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts

Luxury and Fsport have the S+ setting. I have owned both.
Old 06-21-15, 12:11 PM
BlueAc215
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only F sports have that.
Wrong...
Old 06-21-15, 12:15 PM
Kane007
Driver

Originally Posted by BlueAc215
Wrong...
lol he seemed so sure that he was right too lol
Old 06-21-15, 12:37 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

I only drive in Sport S+. I notice a huge difference in the steering weight which makes it feel more sporty. The suspension is also a bit stiffer, but it's not a night and day difference. I also feel like the car doesn't lean as much and takes dips better at low speeds.
Old 06-21-15, 12:55 PM
orca15
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can definitely tell by the amount of lean in the turns. S+ keeps the car much more level on a hard turn.

Physically, as I understand it, electromagnets (seriously) turn on that resist motion. Here's a generic explanation: http://www.autoserviceprofessional.c...control?Page=2

If you look in the engine bay you will see the power cord to the shocks.

Last edited by orca15; 06-21-15 at 12:59 PM.
Old 06-21-15, 02:33 PM
Kane007
Driver

Originally Posted by orca15
You can definitely tell by the amount of lean in the turns. S+ keeps the car much more level on a hard turn.

Physically, as I understand it, electromagnets (seriously) turn on that resist motion. Here's a generic explanation: http://www.autoserviceprofessional.c...control?Page=2

If you look in the engine bay you will see the power cord to the shocks.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.. also for this awesome article, this is what I was most curious in knowing. I am going to pay more attention when in S+ mode to see if I can take notice of everything you guys mentioned.
Old 06-21-15, 05:52 PM
puffdaddy
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I ONLY drive in Sport + mode (wouldn't own a GS if it didn't have it), and the biggest difference, to me at least, is the rebound damping. After you go over a dip or bump, the stock suspension floats or bobs a bit after the initial impact. In a luxury car, this is to be expected. It is taking the "sharp edges" off the bump. In S+ mode, the shocks resist the bounce AFTER the bump. The + setting is also noticable in corners too, as the compression damping is more firm as well. A truely active suspension (like on my past car, an e60 BMW 535i Sport) will "prop up" the outside shocks in a turn making the car stay very nearly flat in turns. This doesn't do that, but the damping properties do help.
Old 06-21-15, 06:07 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
I only drive in Sport S+. I notice a huge difference in the steering weight which makes it feel more sporty. The suspension is also a bit stiffer, but it's not a night and day difference. I also feel like the car doesn't lean as much and takes dips better at low speeds.
■Vehicles without AVS (No Sport+ Mode)

• Sport mode
An acceleration response suitable for sports driving is provided by controlling steering response and transmission. Suitable for when precise handling is desirable, for example when driving on mountain roads.
When the driving mode select switch is turned right, the “SPORT” indicator comes on in the instrument cluster.

Note: If the car has AVS, then no change is made to the steering until the Sport+ mode is chosen (as indicated below).

■Vehicles with AVS (Sport Mode & Sport+ Mode)

• SPORT S mode
Improves acceleration response by controlling the transmission. Suitable for when precise handling is desirable, for example when driving on mountain roads.
When the driving mode select switch is turned right while a made other than SPORT S mode is selected, the “SPORT S” indicator comes on in the instrument cluster.

• SPORT S+ mode
Improves steering performance and driving stability by simultaneously controlling the steering and suspension in addition to the transmission. Suitable for sporty driving.
When the driving mode select switch is turned right while SPORT S mode is selected,
the “SPORT S+” indicator comes on in the instrument cluster.

Note: As noted above, vehicles in with Sport & Sport+ modes the steering response does not change until Sport+ mode is selected.
Old 06-21-15, 08:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Only F sports have that.
As others have said, F Sports and Luxury models have AVS and Sport + mode.
Old 06-22-15, 06:36 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Yes I do feel a difference although I have coilovers that work with the avs, if left in sport mode there is more body roll and sport + way less.

Quick Reply: Does Variable Suspension feature really do anything when engaged via S+ mode?