GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Does Variable Suspension feature really do anything when engaged via S+ mode?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-15, 07:25 AM
sarmyth
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

The comment about luxury models not having s+ wasn't completely wrong... There is a difference in what the system does in a luxury model vs a fsport model.

Do a search through my previous posts for a link to the press release video and some charts about how the performance differs.

That unfortunate find was the reason I didn't grab the luxury model.
Old 06-22-15, 07:31 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,417 Posts

Originally Posted by sarmyth
The comment about luxury models not having s+ wasn't completely wrong... There is a difference in what the system does in a luxury model vs a fsport model.

Do a search through my previous posts for a link to the press release video and some charts about how the performance differs.

That unfortunate find was the reason I didn't grab the luxury model.
I am unaware of any difference for Sport+ Mode in the Luxury model versus the F-Sport model.
Old 06-22-15, 09:12 AM
dougm213
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
I am unaware of any difference for Sport+ Mode in the Luxury model versus the F-Sport model.
I agree. From a performance stand-point I've believe the only difference between Luxury and F-Sport are brakes and a more dynamic steering control. (And I seem to recall a little more aggressive shift points but not sure). Obviously, from a styling and options perspective, there are many more differences.
Old 06-22-15, 09:29 AM
XFactor7
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dougm213
I agree. From a performance stand-point I've believe the only difference between Luxury and F-Sport are brakes and a more dynamic steering control. (And I seem to recall a little more aggressive shift points but not sure). Obviously, from a styling and options perspective, there are many more differences.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ml#post8670478

Here's the link to Sarmyth's post with the press introduction video. Take from it what you will. I don't know if it means that the actual AVS systems are different or the differences are from the supposedly stiffer f-sport suspension compared to the luxury model.
Old 06-22-15, 10:04 AM
xRYD3Rx
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I read somewhere that F sports only had S+. Sorry for misleading as I have no facts.
Old 06-22-15, 01:23 PM
Mr. Klean
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a '15 F-sport. I test drove a '13 Limited edition luxury that had more bells and whistles as a "demo car" and the dealer wanted an arm and a leg for it pre-owned...but it really was fully-loaded.

I went with the '15 even though the '13 felt stronger in S+ mode. I thought it was just me but when I mentioned it after the test drive, the salesman (who is a good friend of mine, long time sales guy and has been on CL for 10 years now) said he felt it pull harder than the '15 too. I opted for the '15 because it only had 3 miles on it, it was an F-Sport and it was black...the luxury was silver and I really wanted black.

So answer your question tho, OP, I definitely feel the difference in S+ as compared to S or obviously Normal or Eco mode.
Old 06-22-15, 01:25 PM
Mr. Klean
Advanced

BigBlack06,

What's your review of the J5 Coilovers? I believe these are the only units, currently manufactured, that allow the utilization of the AVS from our cars, correct?
Old 06-22-15, 02:16 PM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Klean
I have a '15 F-sport. I test drove a '13 Limited edition luxury that had more bells and whistles as a "demo car" and the dealer wanted an arm and a leg for it pre-owned...but it really was fully-loaded.

I went with the '15 even though the '13 felt stronger in S+ mode. I thought it was just me but when I mentioned it after the test drive, the salesman (who is a good friend of mine, long time sales guy and has been on CL for 10 years now) said he felt it pull harder than the '15 too. I opted for the '15 because it only had 3 miles on it, it was an F-Sport and it was black...the luxury was silver and I really wanted black.

So answer your question tho, OP, I definitely feel the difference in S+ as compared to S or obviously Normal or Eco mode.
I wonder if the feel ('13 vs '15) is due to 6 vs 8 gears.

OP: if you keep the same driving, it's most likely unnoticeable. Some may feel the ride is a bit less smooth. I asked my passengers and they tod me they could feel it.
Couple of situations where you really see the difference:
1. From a stop, turn down the music and keep your foot on the pedal
2. Press hard when merging onto freeway
3. Cornering or going into curve
4. Suddenly step on the brake while you're on the freeway at high speed
Old 06-22-15, 02:19 PM
Mr. Klean
Advanced

I attributed the quick acceleration to the 6 vs 8 initially too, but after driving another F-sport ('13), I didn't feel the same pull. it could be due to the mileage. Who knows. Maybe when the car breaks in better I will feel a difference.
Old 06-22-15, 07:32 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

There is a very noticeable difference in suspension firmness and steering feel in sport + mode on our car with luxury package.
Old 06-22-15, 07:59 PM
99alta
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd like to see how this suspension system actual works! I know there are a few way's of changing the damping of the shocks, but can't find anything on the 2013/2014 GS's.

Anyone?
Old 06-22-15, 09:49 PM
fuddyduddy
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 99alta
I'd like to see how this suspension system actual works! I know there are a few way's of changing the damping of the shocks, but can't find anything on the 2013/2014 GS's.

Anyone?
http://www.autoserviceprofessional.c...control?Page=2
Old 06-23-15, 03:04 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Klean
BigBlack06,

What's your review of the J5 Coilovers? I believe these are the only units, currently manufactured, that allow the utilization of the AVS from our cars, correct?
Yes these are the only ones that work with the AVS and I love them they feel perfect and I haven't had an issue with them.
Old 06-23-15, 07:16 AM
Willcbooth
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I notice a slight difference in the ride being stiffer In Sport+, especially at night when the headlights seem to bounce a little more. Is there a noticeable difference of ride quality in Sport+ mode with lowering springs over stock?
Old 06-27-15, 05:29 PM
slickhoosi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too notice a difference in Econ-Normal-Sport-Sport +. The graphic on the nav display only shows one change to the power curves between Sport and +, but I tend to think there is another level of throttle sharpening and transmission speed/shift firmness in S+. I have read some dealer training material that indicated that the suspension is not completely static while in any particular setting. Meaning, if you are hustling the car in normal mode, the sensors and computers will recognize this and firm things up a bit.

Quick Reply: Does Variable Suspension feature really do anything when engaged via S+ mode?