GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Huge gap between tire and fender

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-15, 08:55 PM
realchimer
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Huge gap between tire and fender

I saw most bmw and mercedes cars all have a very small gap between tire and fender. My last two cars are Lexus, one 2011 IS and the other one is 2015 GS F sport.

The gap between is tire and fender for my 2011 IS is huge, which makes the car super ugly. Anyway, IS is a terrible car, so I sold the car even before the factory warranty expires. Then I thought the gap should be smaller and the car should sit lower if I have the F sport package. After I received the new GS F sport, I realize the gap is still huge, at least the gap size is way bigger than what's shown in Lexus' ad brochure.

Anyone have any idea why Lexus don't make its suspension as short as bmw or mercedes? Or even Audi. I had a Audi before two Lexus cars when I was still in graduate school. I dont remember I was bothered by the ugly looking of the tires.
Old 06-04-15, 09:03 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Japanese cars have huge fender gaps compared to the Germans and I don't know why. Lexus cars aren't that bad compared to the Toyota counterparts. My Camry had like 2 fists gap all around and it looks so bad that I had to lower it to make it look a little better.

While I do like the look better if my GS is lowered but I don't like having to angle every driveway and speed bumps. Right now my GS can go at it with ease.
Old 06-04-15, 09:04 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

Why don't you just lower it?
Old 06-04-15, 09:12 PM
realchimer
9th Gear

Originally Posted by LexRuger
Why don't you just lower it?
How? Just take it to a body shop? I don't know much about cars and I'm not sure if it is a good idea to do that. It may be more difficult to the car in the future.
Old 06-04-15, 09:56 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by realchimer
How? Just take it to a body shop? I don't know much about cars and I'm not sure if it is a good idea to do that. It may be more difficult to the car in the future.
http://www.redline360.com/tanabe-nf210-lowering-springs-lexus-gs350-TNF170

Lots of people here have lowering springs. Probably take a custom shop a few hours and it's completely reversible.
Old 06-05-15, 03:19 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

I agree they have a big gap, but I'm not messing with my spring rates and suspension travel to lower it.
Old 06-05-15, 04:53 AM
RyanC
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have an AWD model or RWD model? The AWD model is raised 1.5" more than the RWD model supposedly to help with clearance when it snows.

The RWD model honestly doesn't look that bad, especially compared to the AWD one!
Old 06-05-15, 04:55 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanC
Do you have an AWD model or RWD model? The AWD model is raised 1.5" more than the RWD model supposedly to help with clearance when it snows.

The RWD model honestly doesn't look that bad, especially compared to the AWD one!
Mine is rear drive and it looks to high. But like many of us, I'm pretty picky. But it's my wife's car and my A7 sits very nicely.
Old 06-05-15, 07:47 AM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 142 Posts

Mods should move this topic into the Suspension subforum. You'll get a lot more detailed responses and you could even ask those guys the estimated cost of having this done at a reputable shop. It's a fairly common mod.

There are also a company called RS-R who makes springs & even coilovers. Since you don't know much about cars, here is a basic guide with the differences: http://www.autoanything.com/suspensi...s-vs-coilovers

The fellas who mod their cars will best be able to answer your questions.

Hope this helps,

~ Im2bz2p345
Old 06-05-15, 09:38 AM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The general consensus before all this stupid VIP stuff started catching on, was that a pleasing look for wheel gap was, at the least, sidewall to rim = gap. So, if you had 17's and a 3" sidewall with a 3" wheel gap, it looked balanced and therefore good (just making up numbers). Some preferred to go smaller of course, with varying degrees of trade off between looks and comfort.

I have noticed that most japanese sports cars tend to break this rule which is why everyone and their brother makes shock/spring kits for every car. They do tend to be on the high side, which is probably more a recognition of the US and Europe having bad roads and steep driveways than anything else, so it's a practical consideration for a global market.

>Edit, noticed you're in Mass, which makes me think you get AWD cars, which by their definition, are higher due to extra suspension and drivetrain components. Compare a RWD model side by side if you can google it.
Old 06-05-15, 09:55 AM
realchimer
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
The general consensus before all this stupid VIP stuff started catching on, was that a pleasing look for wheel gap was, at the least, sidewall to rim = gap. So, if you had 17's and a 3" sidewall with a 3" wheel gap, it looked balanced and therefore good (just making up numbers). Some preferred to go smaller of course, with varying degrees of trade off between looks and comfort.

I have noticed that most japanese sports cars tend to break this rule which is why everyone and their brother makes shock/spring kits for every car. They do tend to be on the high side, which is probably more a recognition of the US and Europe having bad roads and steep driveways than anything else, so it's a practical consideration for a global market.

>Edit, noticed you're in Mass, which makes me think you get AWD cars, which by their definition, are higher due to extra suspension and drivetrain components. Compare a RWD model side by side if you can google it.
Yea, you are right. It might have something to do with RWD or AWD. Both my IS and GS are AWD. Maybe in the future I need to take a look at the cars with exactly the same specs first before I buy them. This time I only demoed a craft-line GS F sport, the body of which sits low and nice.
Old 06-05-15, 11:25 AM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by realchimer
Yea, you are right. It might have something to do with RWD or AWD. Both my IS and GS are AWD. Maybe in the future I need to take a look at the cars with exactly the same specs first before I buy them. This time I only demoed a craft-line GS F sport, the body of which sits low and nice.
Yeah you should. It's a big chunk of change. Lol. The gap could be better but IMO the potential issues are not worth the trouble for me. If you park the car next to the curb, you'll see how close it is. Lowering an inch or two will scrape if you park head in. Lexus was planning to introduce F Sport springs shortly after the intro but they never got introduced. Maybe there's something about this car that caused the springs to never get released. BTW, congrats, welcome to the club and post a picture of two when you get a chance.
Old 06-05-15, 05:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

FYI, theres no difference between how a crafted line F Sport and an ordinary F Sport sit. The Crafted line is just an appearance package.
Old 06-05-15, 05:24 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

I just saw the new S550 Coupe Benz and man that wheel gap is nasty. It sits higher than my GS what happened to the Germans now?
Old 06-05-15, 06:44 PM
RyanC
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
Mine is rear drive and it looks to high. But like many of us, I'm pretty picky. But it's my wife's car and my A7 sits very nicely.
The RWD model is still better than most of the Acuras that I know you and I have previously owned (recognize your name from AcuraZine)

I would have lowered my GS but it is leased and I don't feel like installing them and have to uninstall them later.

Quick Reply: Huge gap between tire and fender