GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Questions about smart key system

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-15, 05:11 PM
fuddyduddy
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Questions about smart key system

Couple of questions about the smart key.

1) If I exit the vehicle with the smart key in my pocket, the car beeps at me. How long before the car turns off or shuts the engine down?

2) Is there a way I can lock the smart key inside the car so that I can go running without the bulky smart key (such as with the mechanical key) or have the dealer (or auto repair place) leave the car for me to come pick up with the other smart key, or mechanical key?
Old 05-31-15, 05:40 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

1) Beeping when exiting car occurs when you open the door before turning off car. Not sure why it does that (could be indicating that steering wheel isn't locked), but the car is off.

2) The car doesn't allow you to lock the key inside the car. Never a good idea anyways; making it too easy for your car to be stolen. Key isn't even that big or heavy compared to other manufacturers' smart key.
Old 05-31-15, 07:08 PM
fuddyduddy
Pit Crew

In this case I am wondering about exiting the car when it is running, not when it is off.

Originally Posted by dchar
1) Beeping when exiting car occurs when you open the door before turning off car. Not sure why it does that (could be indicating that steering wheel isn't locked), but the car is off.
It's still not as light as a mechanical key, so I would like to know if it's possible.

2) The car doesn't allow you to lock the key inside the car. Never a good idea anyways; making it too easy for your car to be stolen. Key isn't even that big or heavy compared to other manufacturers' smart key.
Old 05-31-15, 07:08 PM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

1.1 If the engine is on when you exit, it will stay on and give the "no key detected" message but it will stay on. One can actually continue to drive without the key until s/he shuts it off.
1.2 If the engine is off, sometimes it does give you fault beep/chime. It will shut off when you lock the car
1.3 If the engine is off and things are left on, ac for example, the car will shut off when the battery gets low.

2. They do make smartcard but yes, the fob is not that bad in my opinion. We run with Apple products all the time and we seem fine
Old 06-01-15, 04:09 PM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

You can place the smart key in the car and use the mechanical portion to lock the door. However the alarm will not be set.

Someone that breaks into your car may be able to start it depending on how you set the system. I believe you can set the system to allow vehicle start only if the key is in the driver's seat vs the key being in the vehicle in general.

Set it to allow start only if the key is in the driver's seat and then hide the key somewhere else. Then manually lock the car with the mechanical key.

**I don't recommend it but ultimately it's your decision.
Old 06-01-15, 08:32 PM
fuddyduddy
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 1101GS

2. They do make smartcard but yes, the fob is not that bad in my opinion. We run with Apple products all the time and we seem fine
I hate having anything in my hands or strapped onto my arm or waist. I have an iPod shuffle that I keep clipped onto my headset so I do not know it's there.
Old 06-01-15, 08:33 PM
fuddyduddy
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by rijc99
You can place the smart key in the car and use the mechanical portion to lock the door. However the alarm will not be set.

Someone that breaks into your car may be able to start it depending on how you set the system. I believe you can set the system to allow vehicle start only if the key is in the driver's seat vs the key being in the vehicle in general.

Set it to allow start only if the key is in the driver's seat and then hide the key somewhere else. Then manually lock the car with the mechanical key.

**I don't recommend it but ultimately it's your decision.
Thanks, this is the only thing that I found actually works. How about locking the key in the glove compartment or hiding it somewhere else inside the car?
Old 06-01-15, 10:45 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by fuddyduddy
Thanks, this is the only thing that I found actually works. How about locking the key in the glove compartment or hiding it somewhere else inside the car?
If the keys are anywhere in the car (even the trunk) the car can still be started. Your best solution might be...buy a metal box, put key inside, hide and lock inside glovebox, lock car manually with metal key OR take battery out of fob, lock it in glovebox, and lock manually.

Sounds like too much work and risk for getting out of carrying a key fob that is barely larger than an iPod shuffle. Just buy a lanyard and wear it around your neck. Such a 1st world problem...
Old 06-01-15, 11:04 PM
rijc99
Lead Lap

If the keys are anywhere in the car (even the trunk) the car can still be started. Your best solution might be...buy a metal box, put key inside, hide and lock inside glovebox, lock car manually with metal key OR take battery out of fob, lock it in glovebox, and lock manually.

Sounds like too much work and risk for getting out of carrying a key fob that is barely larger than an iPod shuffle. Just buy a lanyard and wear it around your neck. Such a 1st world problem...
You can personalize the car to allow starting ONLY if the key is detected in the driver's seat. It's in the vehicle settings.
Old 06-01-15, 11:07 PM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by fuddyduddy
I would avoid the glove box as it will likely be a place that will be broken into should you get the unfortunate unwanted visit. (Knocking on wood).

Somewhere less obvious would be best. Once you find a stash spot, test starting your car to make sure it is far enough from the driver's seat.

Good luck.
Old 06-02-15, 03:34 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I would need to do some digging to find out how again but you can actually shut the key off. Once the key is off you can toss it in the car and lock the car with the mechanical key with no problem.
Old 06-11-15, 09:05 AM
hziemba
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Fuddyduddy: The metal box idea should work.
Something even simpler would be to get a sheet of aluminum foil and wrap the key in it. Make sure you fold over the edges so that there are no gaps.
Old 06-11-15, 09:33 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

On another note...have you seen how big the new BMW keys are?! It's like carrying around a small phone.

Here is the 2016 7 series key:

Old 06-11-15, 11:18 AM
jamodeo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You could take the battery out of the fob then leave the fob in the armrest. This would allow you to leave the fob in the car and lock manually with the cut key. When its time to start the car, put your foot on the brake, grab the fob, then use the actual fob to push the engine start stop button and the car will turn on. You do not need a battery in the fob to start the car, but when you don't have one the fob has to be right next to the button to start.

-Joe
Old 06-11-15, 05:04 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Questions about smart key system

Or, ORRR you can press and hold the lock button then press the unlock button twice while still hiding the lock button (finally found the link...) You'll see the indicator flash four times and that tells you the key is off. It's called a "battery saver function". Just tried it and it works. Link to Manual

Quick Reply: Questions about smart key system