GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2015 problem from the beginning!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-15, 02:43 PM
blueagave0
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2015 problem from the beginning!?

Planned on joining here and introducing myself after I had a few days to enjoy the new ride. Well, I'm here anyway, but the ride is not.

Yesterday I picked up a 2015 gs350 f sport in atomic silver / black. As anyone would be, I'm excited to pull out of the parking lot and get on the road! Yeah, not so much. The dealership was closing up and as I take a turn onto the road I notice it's very sluggish, like starting off in third gear sluggish. I eventually get up to speed and wander if the floor mat is stuck under the pedal or something, whatever. anything but the car is broken. I eventually get up to speed. Everything is fine. I don't accelerate hard because the the car only has 12 miles on it. Otherwise it drives like it should.
Off the freeway and at a stoplight with an incline. Start to go, same thing. I pull over, turn the ignition off and back on. Car is fine. Accelerates like a champ and I head on home. I have to go back to the dealership the next day anyway to drop off some paperwork. I figure I 'll mention it then.
So later that night (43 miles on the ODO) CEL and Trac off lights up. Car will not get up over third gear. Make it another 2 miles home and park it. I'm pretty distraught.
Take it to the dealership, don't know what they are but 2 fault codes came up. One for a shift solenoid and another having to do with the torque converter. Under 100 miles on the ODO!

So I'm sitting here with a red ES loaner car. They've never seen it on a brand new car. Figured I'd pop in and introduce myself.
Old 05-14-15, 03:06 PM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Welcome and congrats on the new ride. You are the first post I've read on here about a major problem right out of the gate. Now if this was bimmerfest and you new 5 series have issues I wouldn't be surprised.
Old 05-14-15, 03:46 PM
GSTONY
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just bring it in lexus will help you no question asked
Old 05-14-15, 04:05 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Maybe ur case is one in a million. One bad apple doesn't mean the whole basket is rotten, Bimmers maybe. Just let the dealer fix it.
Old 05-14-15, 05:43 PM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I would demand another car. I think i would second guess this car everytime I drive it.
Old 05-14-15, 05:58 PM
xRYD3Rx
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seems like it was a bad build. I would definitely demand for another car. If possible.

My 15 GS so far has no problems even though I only have 3500 on the ODO.
Old 05-14-15, 07:23 PM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with DaSyce, I dont want this car. Get a new one, even if it takes a couple weeks....
Old 05-14-15, 07:24 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Some of you are acting like the problem is major and the results of the problem will remain with the car forever, making it a certain lemon. Come on guys - think! Whatever the problem is, it is not like the engine has a bent rod or cracked piston, or some other major internal problem. It's not like the dash caught on fire. I feel sure it is something simple like a defective/unhooked knock sensor or throttle body sensor. I'm guessing whatever the problem is, it will throw a couple of codes and a highly trained Lexus technician will know exactly what the problem is right away...and he'll fix it by doing something like plugging-in an unhooked sensor or replace it with a new one and all will be just fine.
Old 05-14-15, 08:59 PM
ITDude
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with bclexus. Most likely something is unplugged. I took my Acura in for service once and it threw a few codes when I left. One of the sensors wasn't plugged in, and they figured it out in a few minutes from the codes.

I wouldn't get excited about it unless they tell you they all drive that way! I'm sure you are doubting your purchase, but you picked a great car. Give them a chance to make it right before you panic.
Old 05-15-15, 03:57 AM
sarcoptic
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

My guess is something was missed like a fuse during PDS. I know some cars are shipped with certain fuses missing (Highlander) that must be put in place during PDS for the car to run right. In the end I hope it is something minor!
Old 05-15-15, 04:16 AM
hube
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Good luck. Maybe it is something simple. Let us know.
Old 05-15-15, 09:11 AM
r4nd0
Rookie

Did you test drive this exact unit before you signed and drove off the lot?
Old 05-15-15, 07:36 PM
blueagave0
Driver School Candidate

Default Update

Update. Hopefully all better now. I definitely voiced my concern about second guessing the car. I let the dealer know that although I'm sure they would fix it, I didn't want to second guess the car later on down the road.

When I picked it up today, I asked to speak to the mechanic/tech, (which I'm not, so forgive me if I remember this incorrectly) that worked on it for an explanation. He said was that there was air trapped in the transmission lines somewhere. He explained to me how they have to measure the fluid levels and bleed the overflow. He thinks an air pocket/bubble or whatever made the system hiccup and caused the problem.

He stated that he felt 100% confident that it just wasn't filled properly originally and I should have no more issues with it. He said he wouldn't have given me the car back that soon if he felt like it was anything else. They are a good dealership and have been excellent to me and everyone I know, so I hope he's right. Drove it all day and has been perfect.
Old 05-15-15, 07:41 PM
blueagave0
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by r4nd0
Did you test drive this exact unit before you signed and drove off the lot?

I did not, and hindsight's 20/20 I know. I drove two others with the exact same options just different color. The color combo I wanted was not lot ready at the time. They did pull it up front for me to look at it, but it still had all of the wrapping and tags on it. They cleaned it up while we were negotiating and while I did look it over again before I signed the paperwork when it was ready, I didn't bother driving it. I know that's my fault, but hey it was a Lexus, brand new fresh off the truck. No one else had been inside it except the guy that drove to the front of the building.
Old 05-15-15, 08:49 PM
r4nd0
Rookie

Good that they got it worked out without having to swap in rebuilt tranny.

Quick Reply: 2015 problem from the beginning!?