GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

How to change the Follow-me-home lights on your GS if you don’t have a nav system

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-15, 03:44 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default How to change the Follow-me-home lights on your GS if you don’t have a nav system

How to change the Follow-me-home lights on your GS if you don’t have a navigation system. Follow these steps to save yourself a trip to the dealer!

Easily increase or decrease the duration of your Follow-me-home lights using Carista, a mobile app that lets you personalize your Lexus and perform advanced diagnostics. It is available for Android and has just been released for iOS users!

All you need is a smartphone and an ELM327-compatible Bluetooth OBD adapter (for Android) or an ELM327-compatible WiFi adapter (for iOS). These adapters are available for about $10-$30 on websites like Amazon.com

Android Users:

1. Plug the Bluetooth OBD2 adapter into your vehicle.
2. Turn on the ignition (to the point where all the dash lights light up), but don't start the engine.
3. Open Carista on your Android device and click on “CUSTOMIZE” on the main screen. Carista will automatically connect to your OBD2 adapter via Bluetooth.
4. If this is the first time you're connecting to this Bluetooth device, it may ask you for a PIN (try 1234 or 0000) or for a confirmation that you want to connect.
5. Give Carista a second to determine which settings are available for your vehicle. Once you see the available categories, select "Lights"
6. Select “Coming-home lights duration”
7. Select OFF, 30 SECONDS, 60 SECONDS, or 90 SECONDS then press SAVE.
8. If this is the first time you're changing a setting, the app will launch the Google Play in-app billing screens and will guide you to purchasing the Pro Package (which is required for changing settings; it's a one-time purchase and then you can change as many settings as you like, as many times as you like). The Pro Package also gives you access to advanced diagnostics of all Lexus ECUs, not just the basic engine diagnostics.
9. The new setting is now applied to your vehicle! You can change this setting at any time.

iOS users:
1. Plug in the WiFi OBD2 adapter and connect your iOS device to the adapter’s WiFi.
2. Turn on the ignition (to the point where all the dash lights light up), but don't start the engine.
3. Open Carista on your iOS device and click “CUSTOMIZE” on the main screen.
4. Give Carista a second to determine which settings are available for your vehicle. Once you see the available categories, select "Lights"
5. Select “Coming-home lights duration”
6. Select OFF, 30 SECONDS, 60 SECONDS, or 90 SECONDS then press SAVE.
7. If this is the first time you're changing a setting, the app will launch the App Store in-app billing screens which will guide you to purchasing the Pro Package (which is required for changing settings; it's a one-time purchase and then you can change as many settings as you like, as many times as you like). The Pro Package also gives you access to advanced diagnostics of all Lexus ECUs, not just the basic engine diagnostics.
8. Simply disconnect from the adapter’s WiFi to purchase the Pro Package, if you do not already have it. Once you have purchased it, reconnect to the adapter’s WiFi. Click SAVE again.
9. The new setting is now applied to your vehicle! You can change this setting at any time.

For more info about Carista or for support, visit us at www.caristaapp.com
Old 04-30-15, 12:01 PM
djkidd
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just to get clarification, are you talking about the coming-home-light? Basically the duration of how long the headlights stay on after turning off the engine?

I have no idea what Follow-me-home lights are.
Old 04-30-15, 01:14 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by djkidd
Just to get clarification, are you talking about the coming-home-light? Basically the duration of how long the headlights stay on after turning off the engine?

Me either. Sounds like something the car behind you should be adjusting.
Old 04-30-15, 01:58 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Idk how many people have a GS without nav...but it must be a really small number, especially in the US.
Old 04-30-15, 03:49 PM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by djkidd

"Coming-home lights", "Follow-me-home lights", "Home shine", "Lights stay on"... There are many names by which this functionality is called, but yes, it's the same thing.

The idea here was to point out that if you don't have a nav or if you want to change any "dealer-only" settings, you can do that with Carista. The app also offers tens of other settings besides the follow-me-home lights. Okay, coming-home lights . We actually call them coming-home lights in the app, but I thought I had seen Lexus refer to them as follow-me-home lights. Now that I think about it, that sounds pretty creepy. LOL
Old 05-01-15, 12:16 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

It seems odd that Navigation is required to change settings, but good for Carista for making it an option.
Old 05-03-15, 11:06 PM
fuddyduddy
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

How much does the Carista Pro package cost?
Old 05-04-15, 03:30 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by fuddyduddy
How much does the Carista Pro package cost?
It's $19.99 USD (or equivalent + tax in other countries)
Old 11-25-16, 06:29 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Hi guys, just wanted to let you know that we have a Black Friday / Cyber Monday deal on the Carista OBD2 adapter - get 25% off today through Monday! https://goo.gl/PhRpZV

Old 11-26-16, 03:06 AM
Infamous3
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

This is super neat I just ordered it for this feature alone! Hate that they stay on for no reason, I always have to manually turn them off before I exit the car. Can you guys possibly make it so lexus cars operate like BMW and other when you turn it off? Make it so the headlights and radio/music turn off after a door is opened, thats how a car should be imo
Old 11-26-16, 07:46 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,417 Posts

Originally Posted by Infamous3
This is super neat I just ordered it for this feature alone! Hate that they stay on for no reason, I always have to manually turn them off before I exit the car. Can you guys possibly make it so lexus cars operate like BMW and other when you turn it off? Make it so the headlights and radio/music turn off after a door is opened, thats how a car should be imo
For those with a Navigation system see Personalized Setting #11 ► http://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/GS_with_nav_LPS.pdf

Last edited by bclexus; 11-26-16 at 08:27 AM.
Old 11-26-16, 12:03 PM
DP03
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Infamous3
A lot of people want the lights to stay on for more lighting inside the garage (more than the garage light itself) or especially if they park outside their houses.