GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Brand new 2015 Lexus GS 350 gets rear ended at 265mi. Minor damage, huge headaches.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-15, 08:37 PM
WolfSnap
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand new 2015 Lexus GS 350 gets rear ended at 265mi. Minor damage, huge headaches.

I bought myself a new car in February 2015. It was a really gorgeous 2015 Lexus GS 350. It's fast, looks nice, drives great, and most importantly the fit-and-finish of Lexus was absolutely amazing.

I was driving it back home from getting tint and invisible bra installed, when I came to stop at a red light. About 10 seconds later, I was hit from behind by someone who wasn't paying any attention.

The damages were, at first glance, pretty minor. You can see the original damage here: https://i.imgur.com/cpMEPi4.jpg

Since the car was brand new (and I pay extra on my insurance for OEM part coverage), I insisted on (and received) a brand new bumper. I didn't want the bumper fixed with bondo, etc.. Anyways, the bumper was replaced, and I received my car back with poorly sanded holes where the parking sensors go, and with the bumper so poorly fitted to the body that the rear light lens ended up rubbing off the paint from the top of the bumper. Photos here: https://i.imgur.com/q33kyWM.jpg and https://i.imgur.com/5iVi9Ye.jpg

I brought the car back. They were supposed to fix it. While the car was there, I told them that my window had been accidentally opened by one of their staff (proof: https://i.imgur.com/UqoJKKP.jpg ). They assured me that they'd close it. They didn't. Until a few days later as they were washing the car. Yay.

Upon receiving my car back from the 2nd try at fixing a rear bumper, I noticed that they had rounded the edges of the parking sensor holes, where before it was rough. But, the paint seemed like it was good -- so, I ignored it. Also, the fitment was slightly off, but, again, I doubted that another go would improve things that much.... I was settling. But, it had been in the shop for longer than I had had it in my possession. I wanted it back.

About a week later, I was waxing my car (paying close attention to NOT wax the bumper, as I was told to wait a month before doing that), and found a huge scratch on the side that matched where the bumper had been removed/installed. (Pic https://i.imgur.com/QpMNUTX.jpg ) They fixed it with some color sanding. Looked fine.

Since I was told to not wax for at least a month, I waited. And waited. Finally, today, I went to wax the bumper. I started buffing the bumper and suddenly heard something that sounded like a zipper being opened very quickly. I removed the cloth and noticed, to my horror, that the paint had literally split open! Pic: https://i.imgur.com/vBeCgjk.jpg ). Upon further inspection, there's another HUGE bubble that's just waiting to crack a few inches away: https://i.imgur.com/gnbxaAc.jpg ).

I'm going there tomorrow to get them to fix it AGAIN. However, this is beyond ridiculous. They claim to be Lexus Certified, and were recommended by the dealer. Obviously, they can't seem to fix a damn thing properly. I'm so frustrated, I don't know what to do.

My brand new, expensive car, has been nothing but headaches since this accident. It's such a horrible thing that I can't even enjoy my new car....

This is in Southern California BTW. I'll leave out the name of the auto body shop pending tomorrow's meeting....

Does anyone have any insight? Can I force them to buy the car and pay me back for all the money I've put into it? Do I need to keep trying to get them to fix it? I feel like I've been making payments on a car that I can't even drive...payments on a car that I can't even drive...

Last edited by WolfSnap; 04-21-15 at 08:56 PM.
Old 04-20-15, 08:43 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Suggest you start with talking to whomever recommended them to you at the dealer to make sure they're aware of the concern. Let them know what you plan to do, and tell them you might come back to ask for the dealerships help if things don't get fixed to your satisfaction. "No action needed right now, but..."

Dealer will have a lot more leverage over the bodyshop than one customer.
Old 04-21-15, 03:01 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Wow this really sucks, I'm surprised they are certified. I would def get the dealership involved as DaveGS4 stated, hopefully you get this resolved.
Old 04-21-15, 10:38 AM
neilattack
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a nightmare. Hopefully you get it all sorted out soon.
Old 04-21-15, 11:04 AM
allgoodman
Rookie

What a nightmare. Really sucks to be spending so much money on a car that you can't even drive. Sorry man.
Old 04-21-15, 11:29 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,050 Likes on 664 Posts

Accident = Headaches, always. No matter who's at fault, ur car is damaged and will never be the same again.

Did u take it to a Lexus Certified Collision shop?

https://www.lccc-online.com/owners/c...on_centers.php
Old 04-21-15, 04:08 PM
WolfSnap
Rookie

I spoke to the dealer, who spoke to the body shop. Then I spoke to the body shops' owner. I'm guessing there was a lot of very stern words said by the dealer, because when I went to the body shop, he offered me a deal I couldn't refuse. They're going to take the bumper and all related parts off of a brand new GS 350, and put it on my car. So, I'll end up with an absolutely perfect, Japanese factory painted, original Lexus bumper.

They're doing the swap Monday.

This is by far the best outcome I could have hoped for... Other than just swapping the car itself.
Old 04-21-15, 04:20 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Excellent resolution!
Old 04-21-15, 05:00 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,276 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfSnap
I spoke to the dealer, who spoke to the body shop. Then I spoke to the body shops' owner. I'm guessing there was a lot of very stern words said by the dealer, because when I went to the body shop, he offered me a deal I couldn't refuse. They're going to take the bumper and all related parts off of a brand new GS 350, and put it on my car. So, I'll end up with an absolutely perfect, Japanese factory painted, original Lexus bumper.

This is by far the best outcome I could have hoped for... Other than just swapping the car itself.
Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Excellent resolution!
And...who will be the poor soul that buys a brand new $50,000+ Lexus with a...(wait for it)...replaced and repainted bumper? Mind saying who this dealership is? I personally would never deal with that dealership - because they cannot be trusted. Can they now? It may be you [next] that buys a brand new car from this dealership that comes with a replaced and repainted bumper... How would that make you feel? Personally, I would be very, very pissed - and some people I suspect would be [make a scene] livid! And, I wouldn't blame them.

Last edited by bclexus; 04-22-15 at 07:53 AM.
Old 04-21-15, 08:39 PM
WolfSnap
Rookie

Originally Posted by bclexus
And...who will be the poor soul that buys a brand new $50,000+ Lexus with a...(wait for it)...replaced and repainted bumper? Mind saying who this dealership is? I personally would never deal with that dealership - because they cannot be trusted. Can they now? It may be you [next] that buys a brand new car from this dealership that comes with a replaced and repainted bumper... How would that make you feel? Personally, I would be very, very pissed - and some people I suspect would be [make a scene] livid! And, I wouldn't blame them.
I believe it's actually coming off a new service loaner. It'll be sold as used once it's done being a loaner.
Old 04-21-15, 09:47 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 230 Likes on 181 Posts

I believe it's actually coming off a new service loaner. It'll be sold as used once it's done being a loaner.
I think that's what my dealer is doing for me too after they tried repairing my rim they damaged and I wasn't satisfied with the work. I remember a salesman telling me that the new F-sport in the showroom was bought to become a demonstrator anyways.
Old 04-21-15, 10:30 PM
WolfSnap
Rookie

Originally Posted by dchar
I think that's what my dealer is doing for me too after they tried repairing my rim they damaged and I wasn't satisfied with the work. I remember a salesman telling me that the new F-sport in the showroom was bought to become a demonstrator anyways.
I suspect they have ways of writing off the cars with lexus. I'm sure they're not selling a car as brand new which has had a bumper replaced... Or a rim. Heck, a car parted out is much more valuable than a car put together... even if they use the car as nothing but for parts, I'm sure they'll be fine.
Old 04-21-15, 10:38 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,050 Likes on 664 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Damn I better check my car inside and out the next time I pick up my brand new car. I'm not going to be the poor soul with the frankensteined GS!!!
Old 04-22-15, 03:42 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Good to hear it got resolved, in the best way.
Old 04-28-15, 07:57 PM
WolfSnap
Rookie

OMG.. So, brand new bumper installed. Fits perfect. Looked perfect. EXCEPT for one small problem... When they removed the bolt covers (behind the trunk lid), they didn't protect the paint, and ended up ruining the paint with the screwdriver they used to remove the bolt cover.

They're fixing it.

Meanwhile, my loaner car is a Ford F-150 truck. I'm not sure if it's more painful to have to drive a truck, or to have my baby still at the body shop for another day.. <sigh>

Quick Reply: Brand new 2015 Lexus GS 350 gets rear ended at 265mi. Minor damage, huge headaches.