GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Why is the GS so unpopular?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-15, 08:54 AM
zicogold
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Canadian perspective on this, really is what Lexus Canada markets and that is the Canadian built RX. There is a driver behind that, it is our climate. While summers in the Toronto area can average daytime highs of 90-95 F, the winters are still snowy and slushy. So there is an appetite for reliable luxury SUVs. Also, the 2-3 year lease means the Germans have a wider spectrum of price options for their sedans and arguably less reliable product.
Old 04-20-15, 09:06 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

The RX is the #1 seller for Lexus period regardless of market. The GS is more of an enthusiast car. It's not the sporty one, or the grocery getter or the luxurious one. It's the in-between car. People either opt for the IS, ES or LS where the GS is the red headed step child.

As for the Lexus brand, it still doesn't have the notoriety of the Germans. People still see it as a pricey Toyota or the good but boring car.
Old 04-20-15, 10:36 AM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Come to OC, you'll see plently of L10 FSport/Premium/Luxury here.
Old 04-20-15, 10:38 AM
Mike246
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

In the UK, BMW and Mercedes are seen as making a statement as soon as the car arrives in the car park. It is the grille and the badge that does it. Audi a bit less so.

Maybe apart from the LS, Lexus is dumbed down and not in your face. The GS is perceived as a step above the new Passat and perhaps on par with an A6.

In the meantime, the German cars spend a part of their lives in the workshop being fixed and the Lexus performs faultlessly between services. British Lexus owners have the highest brand loyalty which is just as well for the dealers as they keep their cars for far longer!
Old 04-20-15, 12:11 PM
allgoodman
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been almost always Toyota/Lexus my entire life. I've driven friends' European cars, and while I admire the styling and handling, it seems like these cars are always in the shop or there are transmission issues that I am spared from with my GS.

Every time I get a call that goes something along the lines of "hey buddy, can you pick me up from the body shop?" My feelings for the GS get more steadfast.

I'm not 100% sold on the center dash, but still worth it.
Old 04-20-15, 01:00 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

My wife drives a Benz while I drive my "Glorified Toyota". I go to the MBWorld forums and all I see are are folks *****ing about stuff breaking down, issues, etc. Then they bash folks like us who drive Asian Luxury.

Different strokes.
Old 04-20-15, 03:56 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by jmoney6
You don;t like the inside? I think the dash is the best part of the entire car.
The huge screen and the conservative simple but elegant dash is what sold me on the GS. I wish the rims were nicer thought and the car needs more power, way more power; i mean like 100hp power.

I test drove the E-Class, A6, and 5 series; and the interiors felt all very cheesy compared to the GS.
I currently have a GS and A7, and I just got rid of a current generation 550. I am not sure how you can call the 5 series cheesy. I rate it a least as wll as the GS, and we owned both of the cars at the same time The Audis are very austere in some respects and I agree it's behind the others, although I think cheesy is the wrong description.
Old 04-20-15, 04:59 PM
Willcbooth
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find better words to describe the interiors of BMW's and Merc's like...ugly, uncomfortable, and dated. I remember when my buddy bought a new 550, first ride in it and I thought I was in a 6 year old car.
Old 04-20-15, 05:47 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
I see more F Sport GS's around here all the time. It used to be a big deal to spot another one on the highway or around my neighborhood but now I pull up to a light and there's another GS. I think they are selling well here but from what I've been told, North Texas is a big market for Lexus anyway. Still, it's not like the 1 out of 5 cars around here are the new IS, but the GS is significant.

While I lost the special factor of being one of the few owners initially in 2013, I think it's good that more people are experiencing it now. It's a shame Lexus doesn't push it harder because it really is excellent but for most, the IS and ES are good enough.
Yes, North Texas is a big Lexus market. I see both GS's and GS F Sports frequently. It doesn't hurt that Sewell Lexus is well-established in the Dallas community and Park Place Lexus in Plano just keeps expanding because the "nuvo riche" with families in Plano and Frisco see Lexus as an aspirational brand.
Old 04-20-15, 07:50 PM
metrathon
Pole Position

This is a great question. Like others said, I think it comes down to the badge and perception.

IMO, the biggest downside of a GS (vs 5/A7) is the outdated user interface: decrepit navi, cumbersome controller, inexplicable lack of attention to some details, etc. Nothing I cannot handle tho: I'm gonna trade the 328i for a 2016 GS in a few months. It is what it is, you win some, you lose some, there's no having it all.
Old 04-20-15, 08:08 PM
tknx
Pole Position

People don't like the spindle grill across the line-up. Then Toyota cheapened it further by putting it on the Camry and their other models. And the ES and GS look too similar (although the ES looks a bit more bloated).

I think BMWs look like Pontiacs nowadays though. And their interiors are crap.

The interior is fairly conservative and also the aluminum on the F-sport looks like cheap plastic.

And frankly, Toyota's sporting attempts are good, but not great - they always f something up. The GS drives better than a 5 series. But the GS-F vs M5? The GS-F is more like a tweener model between the 5 and M, but that wasn't good enough. The LFA was probably 3-4x the cost it needed to be at. The FR-S has a mediocre engine in a great chassis and really needs more power, etc.

If I was in the market today, I would probably go with a new E-class. But the GS would still be a contender.
Old 04-20-15, 08:28 PM
metrathon
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tknx
People don't like the spindle grill across the line-up. Then Toyota cheapened it further by putting it on the Camry and their other models. And the ES and GS look too similar (although the ES looks a bit more bloated).

I think BMWs look like Pontiacs nowadays though. And their interiors are crap.

The interior is fairly conservative and also the aluminum on the F-sport looks like cheap plastic.

And frankly, Toyota's sporting attempts are good, but not great - they always f something up. The GS drives better than a 5 series. But the GS-F vs M5? The GS-F is more like a tweener model between the 5 and M, but that wasn't good enough. The LFA was probably 3-4x the cost it needed to be at. The FR-S has a mediocre engine in a great chassis and really needs more power, etc.

If I was in the market today, I would probably go with a new E-class. But the GS would still be a contender.
What new E-class is that? The current model is 5 year old.
Old 04-20-15, 08:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Yeah I can't imagine choosing the ancient E Class over the GS. Talk about decrepit navi and user interface.
Old 04-20-15, 08:58 PM
tknx
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Yeah I can't imagine choosing the ancient E Class over the GS. Talk about decrepit navi and user interface.
Oopos, sorry I meant C-class. which is a smaller car, but has gotten much nicer since the CLA takes the low end for MB.
Old 04-20-15, 09:23 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i actually see A LOT of 4GS driving around. I also see a lot of E, 5, A6 around too. I don't think anyone can go wrong with any of these choices. all beautiful cars.

Quick Reply: Why is the GS so unpopular?