GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

K&N intake ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-15, 09:39 PM
jiggabears
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by marjenmill
Simple logic - if it is allowing more air in, then it is allowing more dirt in too which will eventually hurt your engine. I wouldn't do it.
wrong, it wont do any damage once you change the oil during scheduled maintenance. Also, you will gain hp, maybe not as much as 13 but enough to warrant the upgrade. Thats what dynos are for and im willing to bet good money on it too.
Old 05-31-15, 04:50 AM
marjenmill
Intermediate

Received 143 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by jiggabears
wrong, it wont do any damage once you change the oil during scheduled maintenance. Also, you will gain hp, maybe not as much as 13 but enough to warrant the upgrade. Thats what dynos are for and im willing to bet good money on it too.
LOL...you have no idea what you're talking about. Changing your oil won't help once the dirt is inside your engine. The damage will already be done. You also need to understand how an engine works. You won't get the horsepower gain they promise unless you can increase the exhaust size as well. Think about it, if you enlarge an opening to allow more air in, it will not be able to go anywhere unless the exhaust is enlarged as well. Your exhaust on the GS is tuned for the input.

I've rebuilt engines and I have worked in the aftermarket automotive industry for over 20 years. Having talked with filter manufacturers about K&N - they all say the same thing - you won't get horsepower gains and you're only letting dirt inside your engine.

Don't waste your money and ruin your $50k car. If you really want more horsepower, buy the RC F 350.
Old 06-13-15, 11:26 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Vroooooom! Vroooooom!
Old 06-15-15, 06:43 AM
jiggabears
Rookie

Rubbish! Please stop spreading misinformation, I have spent the better part of my life building performance cars, mostly tubocharged hondas some with upgraded pistons and rods and others with stock high compression pistons each having cold air intake or no intake at all. Fine dirt particles that happen to make it through your air filter causes absolutely NO damage to piston rings or cylinder walls. Again once you change your oil frequently enough it will get rid of any impurity that might degrade your oils viscosity. Dont listen to this guy claiming that you got no power gains, I have put intakes on each and every vehicle ive owned and gained varying amounts of hp allll dyno tested and proven, i lived on the dyno. yes you get more power with exhaust and intake combo. This guy is a fraud, all engines accumulate dirt, thats what makes your oil get darker over time, if aftermarket intakes only provided dirt, destroyed engines and provided no hp then what the hell are they in business for!!
Old 06-16-15, 06:54 AM
marjenmill
Intermediate

Received 143 Likes on 63 Posts

Take it easy Mr Know-it-all.
If you want to ruin your own car, go ahead, but please don't suggest others do so.
Old 06-16-15, 12:03 PM
Nobeanspls
Driver

How many documented engine failures attributed to K&N filters has there been? I would assume something like this would have been well documented by now considering how many they sell.
Old 06-16-15, 09:17 PM
GSTONY
Lead Lap

Engine failure from a intake that's unheard of, Only thing can make an engine fail is if you had a cold air intake and you submerge it in a large puddle and cause it to hydro lock. Also putting a intake on this motors makes no power so don't even waste your money and time on that. Just get a drop in and call it a day. Lots of cars these day their intake system is so well designed that putting a intake will gain little to nothing. Putting a better drop in filter on some cars has gain more power then some after market intake systems out there. Then again if the ecu was tunable that be a diffrent story.

Last edited by GSTONY; 06-16-15 at 09:21 PM.
Old 06-16-15, 10:00 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

The stock system is already a cold air intake, it draws cold air straight from the grille.
Old 06-18-15, 03:16 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Is this the right K&N air intake for the 2015 Lexus GS350?
It claims to increase HP, but won't increase HP, but will reduce the engine noise right?

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...prod=69-8704TP

Does anyone know if the K&N air intake @ $453 is cheaper, or a 3GS350 air intake [without the noise generator] from Sewell Lexus is cheaper?

Last edited by peteharvey; 06-18-15 at 03:25 AM.
Old 06-18-15, 02:30 PM
Nobeanspls
Driver

That is the one in the link. It is the noise reducing one.

I doubt the K&N is more expensive than the F-sport.
Old 06-19-15, 11:50 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

http://www.knfilters.com/video/69-8618TS_install.html

The video above shows installation on a Camry 3.5L V6; it looks quite complicated.
We'll hardly know the difference with an extra 7 hp at 6,000 rpm.
GS350 supposed to get 12 extra horses at 5,500 rpm on top of some 306 horses already, so a 3.9% improvement is hardly noticeable.

More importantly, the video at 00:01:08" shows how it will sound before and after; does GS350 sort of sound like this after K&N Typhoon Intake System?
_

Last edited by peteharvey; 06-20-15 at 02:26 AM.
Old 06-19-15, 02:11 PM
Nobeanspls
Driver

Ok that video's intake is nothing like the one for the GS350. Do not confuse the two. The GS 350's intake is nothing more than a pipe and a panel filter. That is it.

The Camry is getting a full short ram with cone filter. These two may share a common name but is not comparable in any way. Oh and the sound for the GS is nothing like the Camry open element cone filter sound either.

Last edited by Nobeanspls; 06-19-15 at 02:22 PM.
Old 06-19-15, 02:21 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

I had that same one on my old V6 Camry and it was louder with the K&N because the stock intake does not have a sound generator like the GS. The GS will be more quiet cause u will lose the sound generator and the K&N for the 4GS is a closed filter style, not open filter like the Camry or 3GS kits. No power gains, at least not that I can feel.
Old 06-20-15, 02:11 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Does anyone know where abouts the sound generator is located in the air intake pipe below between the two white arrows?

Old 06-20-15, 08:26 AM
GSTONY
Lead Lap

It's the one in the middle with that pipe looking thing attached on the right side of the intake

Quick Reply: K&N intake ?