GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

AWD vs RWD advantages/disadvantages

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-15, 07:57 PM
krava
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AWD vs RWD advantages/disadvantages

I typed in Lexus GS350 AWD vs RWD and found no topics on this. Currently I have a AWD 3GS and because of this engine issue I am kind of scared of the AWD's all together. I am not a car tech and can't even change a tire. I am the type of person that wants to learn everything they can about whatever is they want to get before they buy.

From what I have seen the AWD will give me better tracking in bad weather such as snow, rain and maybe give me better tracking if I turn faster. The RWD will be more fun to drive and you can even "drift" the car if you are one of those racers. Is the AWD version still fun to drive though? I know the AWD version gets worse gas mileage and I am not sure why that is. If you live in a climate where it doesn't snow much at all if ever, would you even consider a AWD? I do know with the AWD you can't have a staggered wheel set so you can't make it look pretty aggressive.
Any downside? The AWD kills the tires faster? Kills the engine faster? Any comments would be appreciated.
Old 04-15-15, 08:17 PM
kerplunk38
Rookie

Just a suggestion but why don't you start ONE thread and ask your list of questions? You keep creating new threads asking similar questions about whether you should buy a 4GS, etc. I gave my answers below ...

Originally Posted by krava
I typed in Lexus GS350 AWD vs RWD and found no topics on this. Currently I have a AWD 3GS and because of this engine issue I am kind of scared of the AWD's all together. I am not a car tech and can't even change a tire. I am the type of person that wants to learn everything they can about whatever is they want to get before they buy.

From what I have seen the AWD will give me better tracking in bad weather such as snow, rain and maybe give me better tracking if I turn faster. The RWD will be more fun to drive and you can even "drift" the car if you are one of those racers.
- Do you drift? The point of AWD is to help keep the car in control in all situations. I think you are form Louisiana. If so you probably will have a tough time even finding an AWD down there.

Is the AWD version still fun to drive though?
- Yes

I know the AWD version gets worse gas mileage and I am not sure why that is. If you live in a climate where it doesn't snow much at all if ever, would you even consider a AWD?
- No. Also, do you realize the newer 4GS's with RWD have 8-speeds and the AWD's have 6-speeds? This will obviously make a difference in MPG's.

I do know with the AWD you can't have a staggered wheel set so you can't make it look pretty aggressive.
- Not true at all. My 2014 IS350 AWD F-Sport came with a staggered set brand new from Lexus. Width can be different from front to back but the diameter of all the tires needs to be very similar.

Any downside?
- A small bit of weight is added for AWD.

The AWD kills the tires faster?
- Not in my experience.

Kills the engine faster?
- Absolutely not.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Last edited by kerplunk38; 04-15-15 at 08:20 PM.
Old 04-15-15, 08:31 PM
krava
Lead Lap

Ok thanks for the input. I was trying to make different threads with different ideas. If I did one thread I would have tons of questions and people might say forget this, too many questions to deal with. But I Learned a lot from your post. I didn't know AWD was heavier so that means it is a little slower but not by much. The 2013's all had 6 speeds I believe and then 2014 they went to 8.
Old 04-15-15, 08:33 PM
kerplunk38
Rookie

Yes, in 2013 all of them had 6 speeds. Now the RWD's all have 8-speeds and the AWD's all have 6-speeds.

Originally Posted by krava
Ok thanks for the input. I was trying to make different threads with different ideas. If I did one thread I would have tons of questions and people might say forget this, too many questions to deal with. But I Learned a lot from your post. I didn't know AWD was heavier so that means it is a little slower but not by much. The 2013's all had 6 speeds I believe and then 2014 they went to 8.
Old 04-15-15, 08:34 PM
Kayman
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my AWD because it corners like it's on rails so long as I have performance summer and winter tire sets. Snow is a breeze in an AWD but I have found it drives better in heavy rains which may be a factor down in Louisiana... If you can find an AWD they are fun and fast to drive.
Old 04-15-15, 08:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

The only reason to get the AWD is if you need to drive it in the snow. Otherwise I would get the RWD.

Theres no reason not to get the AWD, AWD Lexus vehicles have been out for years now, reliability isn't an issue.
Old 04-15-15, 09:10 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Engine issues has nothing to do with whether a car is AWD or RWD. RWD is definitely more fun to drive and handles better in the dry than AWD. It should be expected that AWD gets worse mileage than RWD due to extra weight (more hardware adds a couple hundred pounds) and moving more wheels. Haven't seen any gas cars where AWD gets better mileage than 2WD counterpart. If you go for the F-sport, you also lose the bigger brakes on the RWD and option to get rear steering. RWD handles the rain just fine, so if you don't get snow then you don't need AWD.
Old 04-15-15, 09:10 PM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

With AWD you have to still be cautious in extreme conditions, because it helps steering a bit, acceleration alot, however it does not help braking. Good tires are key.
If it rains alot, and you like to take off from a stop around a corner (merging onto busy streets) you will appreciate AWD. My GS and my old 4runner had AWD, but when i drive my tacoma, it tends to smoke the tires in the wet... A scary feeling when merging - though I'm sure a RWD GS has much better wet traction.
You can still get the rear end to come out on an AWD, I've done it a few times, but id rather not wreck the new car. You know thats when you are really pushing it.

I got AWD because it's a DD, and I've never owned a non AWD/4wd up here. Many do, but they are usually the people i spot in the ditch from december to march. I deal with the 2mpg penalty, it is worth it. One day i'll pick up a RWD run car, but the AWD GS is more than fun enough for now
The following users liked this post:
ChicagoGSf (09-10-21)
Old 04-16-15, 06:57 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Bigger brakes, staggered tires & wheels, summer tires and 8 speed transmission on the RWD. I cared about each of those things so my F Sport is RWD.

I feel like I have answered this question before, recently. Hmm.
Old 04-16-15, 06:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GregCanada
My GS and my old 4runner had AWD, but when i drive my tacoma, it tends to smoke the tires in the wet... A scary feeling when merging - though I'm sure a RWD GS has much better wet traction.
Your Tacoma is an entirely different animal. RWD pickups are very difficult in situations like that because there is no weight over the rear wheels. A RWD Lexus sedan with TRAC and VSC won't behave that way in the rain.
Old 04-16-15, 07:15 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Snow, ice, rain, mud, gravel are all good reasons to get AWD. Gas mileage, ride height, no rear wheel stering, and the lack of fun factor of drfiting a RWD car are the downsides.
Old 04-16-15, 07:28 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by praetor
Snow, ice, rain, mud, gravel are all good reasons to get AWD. Gas mileage, ride height, no rear wheel stering, and the lack of fun factor of drfiting a RWD car are the downsides.
Ice and snow are the only real reason for AWD. I lived down a dirt road and never had an issue with the mud or the gravel.

I also forgot the ride height is a little higher on the AWD like mentioned above.
Old 04-16-15, 07:36 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

What about copious amounts of rain? At least give me that. LOL
Old 04-16-15, 10:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I've not had a RWD GS but I have had two RWD LS's. They were hilariously bad in the snow, but in any other situation they were 100% fine. I had those LS's on gravel roads and driving up hills with 2 foot tall grass in WV with 5 passengers, no problem.

The only reason I would get AWD is if I had rot drive it in the snow.
Old 04-16-15, 10:20 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Your Tacoma is an entirely different animal. RWD pickups are very difficult in situations like that because there is no weight over the rear wheels. A RWD Lexus sedan with TRAC and VSC won't behave that way in the rain.
Hence why i wrote "though I'm sure a RWD GS has much better wet traction"

the taco has TRAC and VSC as well. VSC only kicks in when you are sliding.

Quick Reply: AWD vs RWD advantages/disadvantages