GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Brake hold duration adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-15, 05:09 PM
WolfSnap
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake hold duration adjustment

One of the features on the Mercedes is the ability to step hard on the brake, and the car will maintain braking power for an unlimited amount of time without having to actually keep the brake pushed -- until you step on the gas.

The Lexus GS does something similar, but it will only hold the brake for 3-4 seconds. Can I change this to unlimited until the gas is pushed? It's really too bad I can't just have the brakes work by themselves...
Old 03-27-15, 07:39 PM
sgmstr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not that i know of, but it'll be nice.
Old 03-27-15, 08:12 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

I don't see it in the Carista app either.
Old 03-27-15, 09:35 PM
monst3r
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the hold (hill assist) function when stuck at unusually long intersections. But it wouldn't be as convenient as how you described the Mercedes brake pedal works.
Old 03-28-15, 08:58 AM
GlenK
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The new NX has the Hold button feature and it's great. Haven't tested how long it will hold but use it in traffic and red lights all the time. Never stops working.
Old 03-28-15, 12:22 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,417 Posts

I enabled the brake Hill Assist feature only a couple of times just to make sure that it worked, but that was a long time ago. My only test was to engage the HA feature by pushing hard on the brake pedal, and when I took my foot completely off the brake pedal the HA feature disabled in a few seconds...or it was disabled as soon as the accelerator pedal was pushed.

However, (I did not test it but) I was under the impression that you could engage the HA feature by pushing hard on the brake pedal and as long as your foot remained on the brake pedal applying some [minimal] amount of pressure the HA feature remained engaged...until you took your foot completely off the brake pedal, and then the HA feature disabled in a few seconds.
Yes? No? Maybe so!
Old 03-29-15, 02:40 PM
Voogru
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

I just put the car in neutral, so long as you're on a flat surface the car won't move.
Old 03-29-15, 04:56 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bclexus
I enabled the brake Hill Assist feature only a couple of times just to make sure that it worked, but that was a long time ago. My only test was to engage the HA feature by pushing hard on the brake pedal, and when I took my foot completely off the brake pedal the HA feature disabled in a few seconds...or it was disabled as soon as the accelerator pedal was pushed.

However, (I did not test it but) I was under the impression that you could engage the HA feature by pushing hard on the brake pedal and as long as your foot remained on the brake pedal applying some [minimal] amount of pressure the HA feature remained engaged...until you took your foot completely off the brake pedal, and then the HA feature disabled in a few seconds.
Yes? No? Maybe so!
Originally Posted by Voogru
I just put the car in neutral, so long as you're on a flat surface the car won't move.
I really have no idea why they even put a Hill Assist feature on the car. I might could see where some people may want it for a straight-drive transmission so they don't roll backward, but not for an automatic. I just don't see the need for it...
Old 03-29-15, 07:16 PM
Shinedown
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with bclexus, no need for this.
Old 03-29-15, 08:25 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

I use this feature all the time when stuck at a long red light, waiting for train at crossings, and drive-thru. It seems like more brake pedal effort is needed to keep the car from creeping than I remembered in the Audi I use to drive. I press the pedal all the way to activate it, and just tap and hold it enough to activate brake lights. This keeps it activated until I'm ready to go.

I do wish we had the Hold button like in the GS450h, LS, and NX.
Old 03-30-15, 07:47 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I was playing with this on the weekend, and when the car is in neutral, if you set the hill start assist, it will hold it indefinitely.
Old 03-30-15, 02:03 PM
tompass
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Is this feature standard in the '13?
Old 03-30-15, 02:07 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tompass
Is this feature standard in the '13?
Yes... I don't know why, but it is...
Old 03-30-15, 04:26 PM
tompass
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Does not seem to work on my '13 GS
Old 03-30-15, 04:47 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tompass
Does not seem to work on my '13 GS
Come to a full stop, and press VERY hard (literally) on the brake pedal until you see the Hill Assist icon appear in the instrument display.

Removing your foot completely off the brake pedal will disable the Hill Assist feature within a few seconds, or pressing on the gas pedal will disable the feature also. Continuing to apply a moderate amount of pressure on the brake pedal will retain the Hill Assist feature.

Quick Reply: Brake hold duration adjustment