GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Volume knob broken / pushed in

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-15, 09:10 AM
scarru
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volume **** broken / pushed in

So I just got a used 2013 GS and upon taking delivery from Carmax the volume **** was broken. It essentially looks like it got pushed in all the way. Carmax said they are going to fix it but since I am still under warranty (only 37K miles) can I just take it to Lexus and have it done?
Old 03-22-15, 09:41 AM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by scarru
So I just got a used 2013 GS and upon taking delivery from Carmax the volume **** was broken. It essentially looks like it got pushed in all the way. Carmax said they are going to fix it but since I am still under warranty (only 37K miles) can I just take it to Lexus and have it done?
Doesn't sound like an issue the dealer is going to correct under warranty. Carmax is probably the way to go.
Old 03-22-15, 11:06 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

The previous owner got pissed and punched the radio ? lol not sure how else that could have happen.

You should try Carmax first, you can always go to Lexus.
Old 03-22-15, 11:09 AM
scarru
Driver School Candidate

thanks...was hoping Lexus would fix it under warranty since I don't completely trust the carmax repair guys as much
Old 03-22-15, 11:38 AM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Honestly doesn't seem like an issue that the dealer would cover. Unless they do it under good will coverage.
Old 03-22-15, 12:00 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

thanks...was hoping Lexus would fix it under warranty since I don't completely trust the carmax repair guys as much
They would fix it, things like these don't fall under tear and wear, like the scratches..ect Just play dumb and say that it got stuck or something.
Old 03-22-15, 12:03 PM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
They would fix it, things like these don't fall under tear and wear, like the scratches..ect Just play dumb and say that it got stuck or something.
If you are going to try the dealer route definitely don't go in saying the previous owner punched it.
Old 03-22-15, 12:48 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,415 Posts

If the volume **** was forcibly pushed or jammed in I suspect the volume control inside the unit is physically damaged, and that's not something that is easily repaired...at least not by a Lexus dealership's service department, or a Carmax fix-it, hide-it, cover-it-up employee. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to learn that a new (or different) head unit will be the only choice.

It will be very interesting to see what Carmax does or says about this.

I also do not think Lexus will cover this under warranty anymore than Lexus would repair/replace a scratched instrument cluster display or GPS screen. It didn't fail - it was damaged.
Old 03-22-15, 04:07 PM
XFactor7
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Its still under factory warranty. You should take it to a lexus dealership first. The worst they could say is no and thn you take it to carmax..no one here will be able to give you a definitive answer. Heck, 2 different dealers might say different things..
Old 03-22-15, 04:16 PM
rijc99
Lead Lap

It up to the dealer, they need to come up with a reasonable justification to the manufacturer to replace under warranty. Otherwise they will have to foot the bill.

So if one dealer won't do it you can try another dealer to see if they have a better relationship with the manufacturer that allows them some leeway when it comes to making warranty claims.

You can also contact the manufacturer directly and see if they will do a good will repair.
Old 03-22-15, 04:23 PM
rijc99
Lead Lap

At the same time, don't discount Carmaxs ability to fix this. They deal with a lot of cars. They may be able to source a replacement stereo internally or through companies like LKQ.
Old 03-22-15, 04:25 PM
ohface
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would not have taken delivery until it was fixed because now it will be like pulling teeth to get fixed. Lexus probably will not cover it. Good luck
Old 03-22-15, 05:02 PM
scarru
Driver School Candidate

I will give Lexus a call tomorrow. At least the **** in no way looks like it was hit or damaged. It is in perfect condition but just pushed in all the way. It could be a faulty button for all I know and not abuse. Not sure since I wasn't there when it happened.

My dealership has been pretty good with me in the past w/ warranty claims that they didn't need to cover so hopefully that trend will continue. Also, carmax already let me know they would fix it in writing that was part of my purchase so I don't think I will have issues w/ them fixing it....just would rather have Lexus do it to know they are doing it right.
Old 03-24-15, 06:31 PM
scarru
Driver School Candidate

update since first post: Lexus agreed to replace the volume **** / head unit! Didn't even need to convince them.
Old 03-24-15, 06:43 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,415 Posts

update since first post: Lexus agreed to replace the volume **** / head unit! Didn't even need to convince them.
Wonderful! But that decision surprises me... I'm guessing the Lexus dealer thinks the unit has a defect and failed...in-lieu of being damaged. Maybe it does have a defect.

Quick Reply: Volume knob broken / pushed in