GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

How is a GS in stop and go traffic for long periods?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-15, 11:43 AM
scarru
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How is a GS in stop and go traffic for long periods?

So debating buying a 13 GS and I have about a 1.5 hr commute home after work (30 minutes goign in)...does anyone who owns a GS have a similar drive and do you find the car comfortable in stop and go traffic? Do you have any complaints/praises?
Old 03-18-15, 11:45 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Oh it's comfortable, very comfy actually but the gas isn't.
Old 03-18-15, 11:48 AM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

No issues. Seats are comfortable. Could use better MPG but that's a trade off that you'll have to decide.

The gas pedal is easier to modulate compared to BMW so it doesn't feel as jerky on stop and go traffic.
Old 03-18-15, 11:50 AM
Mcb345
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the main reason I chose the GS was because how comfortable the seats and ergonomics are for sitting in it during my stop and go commute. The f sport package was the icing on the cake for when I'm NOT commuting. If you can handle the mediocre fuel economy I don't think you will find a better car for the price, I didnt.
Old 03-18-15, 11:51 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

It is very comfortable in traffic. Especially when you have the heated/cooled seats going and pumping your music through the Mark Levinson. Seats are very comfy and the throttle is smooth. Apps (Slacker and Pandora) can keep you entertained as you poke through traffic. Unfortunately the '13 have XM traffic and requires a subscription unlike the '15 which uses HD traffic.

Consider asking the dealer if you can have an extended test drive with one of their GS loaners. Try it out and see for yourself.
Old 03-18-15, 12:11 PM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

When i'm sitting in stop n go i usually change the setting to ECO to make the take-offs smoother, or else i feather it.
Old 03-18-15, 12:26 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,415 Posts

The GS 350 cabin is very comfortable...for stop-and-go driving or long open stretches of highway driving.
Old 03-18-15, 12:41 PM
scarru
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! Very helpful. I'm coming from an 06 IS350 so I am sure that the MPG won't bother me (and may even improve)
Old 03-18-15, 12:46 PM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

ECO sucks in the summer time as it limits the AC. Other than that, the seats are very comfortable.

I once got stuck in stop and go traffic in the summer for 3+ hours. Bad accident where a police officer was killed and two other cars were flipped over from a drunk hit and run driver. Besides being frustrated, I was quite comfortable.
Old 03-18-15, 12:56 PM
FishBike
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 3 Posts

I had several 3-4 hour commutes in the past couple of months, total distance about 50 miles each time. I was still pretty comfortable at the end of each of those, and it's an easy car to drive in very slow traffic.
Old 03-18-15, 01:22 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Do u wear out the brake pads more during stop n go traffic? I use the M mode and shift manually and hold the gears in 1-3 to help the car not roll too freely in traffic and reducing my brakes usage.
Old 03-18-15, 01:45 PM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Do u wear out the brake pads more during stop n go traffic? I use the M mode and shift manually and hold the gears in 1-3 to help the car not roll too freely in traffic and reducing my brakes usage.
Relatively it will wear out more. But shifting manually and holding gears would put more wear on the transmission, torque converter and engine. In addition, decrease MPG. If leasing, engine and trans wear probably won't be noticeable. If purchasing for the long haul, brakes would be cheaper.

Truthfully I think both ways are fairly nominal in terms of wear. Holding gears is probably more fun and involved.
Old 03-18-15, 03:25 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rijc99
Relatively it will wear out more. But shifting manually and holding gears would put more wear on the transmission, torque converter and engine. In addition, decrease MPG. If leasing, engine and trans wear probably won't be noticeable. If purchasing for the long haul, brakes would be cheaper.

Truthfully I think both ways are fairly nominal in terms of wear. Holding gears is probably more fun and involved.
It feels like I have more control of the car too than just relying on the brakes and plus it sounds good.
Old 03-18-15, 03:53 PM
djkidd
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with just about everyone in here. I have an 1.5 commute each way and I drive a ton on weekends (weekends in so cal are still filled with traffic). I went from having a 328i coupe to the 4GS and it was the best decision I made, especially when it came to sitting in traffic all day long. The interior is great, the seats have so many settings so you can get the position of it exactly how you want it. As long as you're not in Sport or Sport+ the acceleration is smooth. I still keep mine in ECO to make sure I don't pick up too much speed and then have to wear our my brakes sooner. The MPG could definitely use some help. I'm averaging about 21-21mpg per week at around 550-700 miles per week (vast majority is freeway traffic). I will admit, I do have a slightly heavy foot so I know my MPGs suffer because of that.
Old 03-18-15, 04:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

my comparison is probably extreme.

i used to daily nsx 50 miles a day and most of the time in traffic. i didn't feel much but over time i did start to realize the drive was a bit stressful. nothing to do with the manual tranny of the stiff ride but more to do with visibility and other irresponsible drivers.

so got the gs as my daily and so far i have zero complaint. car is quite quiet and very comfortable. i feel like i don't really have to think much when i drive the car. visibility is good, decent power, good stopping. i am completely fine with the gas mileage, i get around 24

Quick Reply: How is a GS in stop and go traffic for long periods?