GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Operation replace the 4GS...or don't...the search begins

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-15, 12:02 PM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Whoever suggested the Ghibli probably never drove the car and is just going off of lease specials. This car is terrible, absolutely horendous, a flat out sht bucket !! dont be fooled by the Masarati name. Take one for a spin if you dont believe, the GS is 1000 times better than the Ghibli.
Old 03-22-15, 12:53 PM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PirelliGS
Whoever suggested the Ghibli probably never drove the car and is just going off of lease specials. This car is terrible, absolutely horendous, a flat out sht bucket !! dont be fooled by the Masarati name. Take one for a spin if you dont believe, the GS is 1000 times better than the Ghibli.
So it seems.

Originally Posted by SlangBlade
Maybe another wild card... but what about a Ghibli? I sat in one and really liked it, though in my defense I don't know much about it.
Old 03-22-15, 06:37 PM
2014GS350F
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
I think I can give you the perfect example of why leasing makes sense. I purchased my '13 GS F Sport with the intention of keeping it for a long time. It was a great car, and I did keep it for 3 years (which is long for me), but after paying almost $61k new and trading it in for $34k I basically just poured money into a depreciating asset. You could say that I "rented it", since the bank owned it.

Had I kept it for another year and paid it off, then kept it for several more years and enjoyed no payments, it would have made sense. I didn't, so it would have made more sense to just lease for 3 years without putting so much money down and trading for another car.

I am now leasing my S5 for 2 years, and unless there is a car that can keep my interest for at least 5 years I will lease again.

Of course, the other side of the coin is that if you trade so often (I've traded ever year in the past) a lease won't work because they are typically for 2 years or longer and there would be huge cost to terminating the lease early.

Just my .02.
Or just buy a nice one or two year old car like I did and many people in this form, and let guys like you eat the biggest chunk of the depreciation. Let us know when you're done with the S5.
Old 03-22-15, 07:28 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Crispy
There aren't any fees to "terminate" a lease, you simply pay the payoff amount. If the residual is good, you can often walk away from the lease early without paying anything out of pocket.

I traded in my leased GS to Jag when I got the new car, and they offered me an excellent trade-in price for my GS, within $1500 of the payoff amount. This was with exactly 12 months left on a 27 month lease as well, which is typically the worst time in a lease to buy it out.

Perhaps the biggest reason to lease, as I believe OP mentioned, is the write-off. If it is a business lease you can write-off a portion of the lease payment depending on usage. You can also write-off a portion of any maintenance and gas.
I didn't say there were fees. The costs associated are the difference in what you owe and what you've paid. In most cases, terminating the lease early means you have to apply the balance to whatever car you trade for. That can be costly. If I wait the 2 years until my lease ends I might break even and can walk away from it with no costs.
Old 03-22-15, 07:32 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 2014GS350F
Or just buy a nice one or two year old car like I did and many people in this form, and let guys like you eat the biggest chunk of the depreciation. Let us know when you're done with the S5.
January '17. I'll let you know when it's on the lot. My motto is, "if I can afford it, I'm gonna do it."
Old 03-22-15, 07:48 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Crispy

While the Hyundai is a very tempting package, they have had serious issues with subframe rust. This issue has plagued many models, and I have a friend that had a 2012 Genesis front suspension collapse on the freeway due to this subframe rust after 1.5 years of ownership (and this was in CA). She has since moved back to BMW/Mercedes. Hyundai is saving money somewhere, and it isn't in the parts you see/touch, as they are clearly very competitive in materials and fit/finish. Just something to consider.

Good luck with the search!
I would like to confirm this statement.
My brother owned a 2011 Hyundai Sonata and his car had two leaking shocks and while they did repairs to the shock found a large amount of rust under the car that is usually only seen on cars 10 years older with 3 times the milage. My brother took the mechanics advice and traded it in for a lexus 2014 ES 350.

I remember back in 2006 I took my dad to test drive some brand new Hyundais. The car we took on a testdrive was a 2006 Hyundai Azera. During the test drive the car overheated and we were stranded on the side of the highway with me, my father and the Hyundai salesman. We opened the hood and found a blown engine with motor oil all over the engine compartment and leaking oil all over the road. That car was brand new with only like 20miles on the odometer needless to say we never bought a hyundai that year and will forever be traumatized by the brands name.

Last edited by AL13NV8D3R; 03-22-15 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-22-15, 08:07 PM
Crispy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't say there were fees. The costs associated are the difference in what you owe and what you've paid. In most cases, terminating the lease early means you have to apply the balance to whatever car you trade for. That can be costly. If I wait the 2 years until my lease ends I might break even and can walk away from it with no costs.
I was clarifying for everyone that your statement in your previous post;

a lease won't work because they are typically for 2 years or longer and there would be huge cost to terminating the lease early.
is not always the case. I'm proof of that, as I got out of a 27 month lease at 15 months without incurring huge costs. I have even made money back selling a leased vehicle instead of turning it in (my 2011 IS). Lexus has excellent residuals on their leases, and are therefore often very easy to buy out without incurring huge, or any, costs.
Old 03-22-15, 08:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

It really depends on the situation for instance, at 7 months to go my GS lease is very underwater. My 2010 ES netted me $1k at the same time in the lease in 2012 (traded it on the GS with 7 months remaining)
Old 03-23-15, 02:01 AM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I think you should visit a major airport and see if they have any Genesis's available to rent. Driving a rental for 50+ miles will tell you whether or not the car genuinely offers almost as much comfort and refinement as an LS or is way behind. I could never determine much from test drives at dealerships; e.g. a 2014 Avalon I test drove seemed to ride comfortably and was comfortable to sit in, but when I rented two of them I soon found out their seats started to feel hard and fatiguing after driving 15+ miles and their suspensions transmitted every little road imperfection and the road/tire noise was rather high.
Old 03-23-15, 09:29 AM
Atomic350F
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
The reasons I lease are as follows:

1. I write a vehicle off for business. Leasing makes this easier and saves me a little more money vs buying.
2. I'm the sort of person that always wants something new after 3-4 years. If I bought my GS I'm sure I'd be happy with it for another year or two, but after that I would be shocked if I didn't want something with more current technology, etc. I've done the math many times and when you want to trade out of a luxury car every 3-5 years its at best cheaper, and at worse no more expensive to lease vs purchase and trade. So essentially if I purchased, unless I paid cash it would never be paid for anyways, and I would never tie up that much cash.

Its not that it doesn't make sense to purchase the car in theory, it does its a great car, it just doesn't make sense for me or my goals and situation. I could drive a new GS for the same money it would cost me to keep driving this GS, or less, and I would never own this GS to the point where I would own it outright, or own it long enough to make it worthwhile for me to buy it.
Ahhh since you can write off the lease and you like trading very often I can see why the lease is so attractive to you!

You did start off the post though stating the GS is easily your favorite car you have ever owned, and were not really looking forward to trading out like any car you have ever owned... To me it sounded like you may be in LOVE, and that you may want to follow your heart and hang on to that beauty!

I am indeed hopeful you are able to find something you can love even more, best of luck on your next one my friend!! And if you find something better than your 4GS, please let us know.
Old 03-24-15, 11:01 PM
flippd
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well 2 new options just came out:

A6, just a mild refresh:
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...-and-info-news

XF, looks good outside, hope they're right about the massively improved nav
http://blog.caranddriver.com/out-of-...r-xf-revealed/
Old 03-26-15, 08:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The new XF still looks a little too austere inside for me.

Haven't driven anything else new, but just an update. Helped a friend lease a 2015 GS F Sport and was talking to my guy who sold it to him, he ran some numbers for me. He would have been able to get me out of my GS into a 2015 Luxury for the same payment. That rolls a lot of negative equity from mine into the new one though, and obviously if I simply wait until I'm close to the end of mine that wouldn't be an issue.

He quoted me on an LS, and it looks like I just might be able to get one MSRP's around $80k for between $850-900 a month. Again I'd have to wait until mine is closer to the end. Gives hope that might be an option.

Search goes on!
Old 03-26-15, 09:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
The new XF still looks a little too austere inside for me.

Haven't driven anything else new, but just an update. Helped a friend lease a 2015 GS F Sport and was talking to my guy who sold it to him, he ran some numbers for me. He would have been able to get me out of my GS into a 2015 Luxury for the same payment. That rolls a lot of negative equity from mine into the new one though, and obviously if I simply wait until I'm close to the end of mine that wouldn't be an issue.

He quoted me on an LS, and it looks like I just might be able to get one MSRP's around $80k for between $850-900 a month. Again I'd have to wait until mine is closer to the end. Gives hope that might be an option.

Search goes on!
850-900 for a 80k LS? that sounds low but if that's true, i think that's a winner

i don't know how much you paying for your gs now, but i don't think it's as aggressive as what the ongoing deals (apple to apple). so with that said, i don't think it makes sense to pay that much money to move to another same car
Old 03-26-15, 09:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
850-900 for a 80k LS? that sounds low but if that's true, i think that's a winner
Incredible deals off MSRP, and not terrible residuals and MFs.

i don't know how much you paying for your gs now, but i don't think it's as aggressive as what the ongoing deals (apple to apple). so with that said, i don't think it makes sense to pay that much money to move to another same car
mines $700 which was a good deal when I got it, but not today. I agree, I wouldn't swap out now for the same payment. Better to wait.

That shows you...they can do the same payment on the same MSRP car with $7k negative equity out of mine. Shows you how much better the leases are now.
Old 03-26-15, 10:03 PM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

If possible def go for the LS especially at that payment.

Quick Reply: Operation replace the 4GS...or don't...the search begins