GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Operation replace the 4GS...or don't...the search begins

Old 03-20-15, 09:58 AM
Crispy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just read through the thread, a lot of great suggestions on here. I thought I would add my $.02 as well.

The new 2016 Jaguar XF is set to debut at the NY Auto Show in April, but I don't think it goes on sale in the U.S. until early 2016 so the timing may not work for you. This may mean some excellent deals on the outgoing 2015 model later this year however. FWIW, I would highly recommend Jaguar. The buying experience was stellar, and the lease deals are extremely competitive.

While the Hyundai is a very tempting package, they have had serious issues with subframe rust. This issue has plagued many models, and I have a friend that had a 2012 Genesis front suspension collapse on the freeway due to this subframe rust after 1.5 years of ownership (and this was in CA). She has since moved back to BMW/Mercedes. Hyundai is saving money somewhere, and it isn't in the parts you see/touch, as they are clearly very competitive in materials and fit/finish. Just something to consider.

Good luck with the search!
Old 03-20-15, 10:41 AM
Atomic350F
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Mine's a luxury not an F Sport but this is true. Issue is how long I would keep it though. If I were going to keep it 10 years it would make sense, but ti buy it, keep it 2-3 more years and then trade it doesn't really make economic sense vs just leasing a new one.
I would think if you purchase it then you would own it one day, and then car payments would cease at last! But if you keep leasing and leasing you always have ongoing car payments and never "own" a car..

I dont mean to contradict however this is just my thought, can you please elaborate on why it doent make sense to purchase such a fine machine with decent resale value and (projected) long term reliability?

How long do you think you should own it before it starts to make sense to keep, and why?

I am curious since I do plan to keep my GS at this point!!
Old 03-20-15, 03:15 PM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

Some will like to make his first love his wife while others like to keep changing every now and then. Lol Seriously though if one likes to have newest and latest leasing is almost certain the way to go esp. if he can partially claim for business.
Old 03-20-15, 03:45 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Rexus300
I would never consider the BMW 5 as its a sloppy handling piece of turd I have ever owned. Period. I Don't care if the 5 has sports package, its not willing to deal with me and is very reluctant to be in the game like the F-sport.

BUT, the GS F-Sport will go down as one of my most FAV car I have ever owned since driving 17 years ago. I would never forget this GS. I will miss her alot but will return for the future GS-F. The Audi A7 is coming this week loaded and I am looking forward to trying something new.
I have had my 2013 535i for over 2yrs and 25k miles.
Zero issues - 2 free trips to dealer for maint.....def best car I ever had.
Seems you had a first model year 2011 5series which had issues, but i can assure you the F10 is a GREAT platform and has been very reliable.

My car is RWD and optioned with the "704 Msport Susp" which was first avail for the 2013 model year in the US. Lots of reviews of it on the BMW forums and how it transforms the car to "true" BMW dynamics.

I have less than a year on my current lease and unfortunately new 5 will not be out yet.
2016 GS is my top choice but im hoping they update the engine.
Old 03-20-15, 03:59 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

It was at least a Luxury Line car which is what I would want. As before, I love the style of the car, and the look of the interior from a design perspective. Material quality inside is all very good, except for one BMW trait I hate...the cheap vinyl sun visors. Why they do that I will never know. Dakota leather is definitely a step down from the semi-aniline leather in my GS, but I know the Nappa leather is not. It was also cream inside, I'm sure I would have been happier in a nice warm brown nappa/multi-contour seat car.

New BMW nav is excellent, improvement over the GS. Overall the iDrive infotainment has gotten very good. Very functional, very intuitive, lots of features and capabilities. Can use it when you're driving which is a huge plus.

Ride is notably firmer than the GS, which is likely due in large part to the 19" wheels and runflat tires. Overall smooth and quiet, but bumps and ruts were definitely more discernible. No adaptive suspension unless one ops for the $3,500 system. I did not feel that the car was any more sure footed than the GS, in fact likely still a little less so...which makes any tradeoff in ride totally a non-starter.

Back seat is smaller than the GS, which is a big downside in my situation.

Overall...a little more impressed with the car than I was in 2012, but after getting back into my GS afterwards and driving up the same road, I wouldn't select it over the GS. I intend to try a car appointed more like what I would buy before I cross it off the list though. Hopefully next time I will have more time and I can check tire pressures, etc.
I would only get 5 with the Msport pack - the M steering wheel alone is worth it!
On the Xi models, the Msport comes with adaptive suspension.
Old 03-20-15, 07:41 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic350F
I would think if you purchase it then you would own it one day, and then car payments would cease at last! But if you keep leasing and leasing you always have ongoing car payments and never "own" a car..

I dont mean to contradict however this is just my thought, can you please elaborate on why it doent make sense to purchase such a fine machine with decent resale value and (projected) long term reliability?

How long do you think you should own it before it starts to make sense to keep, and why?

I think I can give you the perfect example of why leasing makes sense. I purchased my '13 GS F Sport with the intention of keeping it for a long time. It was a great car, and I did keep it for 3 years (which is long for me), but after paying almost $61k new and trading it in for $34k I basically just poured money into a depreciating asset. You could say that I "rented it", since the bank owned it.

Had I kept it for another year and paid it off, then kept it for several more years and enjoyed no payments, it would have made sense. I didn't, so it would have made more sense to just lease for 3 years without putting so much money down and trading for another car.

I am now leasing my S5 for 2 years, and unless there is a car that can keep my interest for at least 5 years I will lease again.

Of course, the other side of the coin is that if you trade so often (I've traded ever year in the past) a lease won't work because they are typically for 2 years or longer and there would be huge cost to terminating the lease early.

Just my .02.
Old 03-20-15, 08:45 PM
Crispy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dseag2
and there would be huge cost to terminating the lease early.
There aren't any fees to "terminate" a lease, you simply pay the payoff amount. If the residual is good, you can often walk away from the lease early without paying anything out of pocket.

I traded in my leased GS to Jag when I got the new car, and they offered me an excellent trade-in price for my GS, within $1500 of the payoff amount. This was with exactly 12 months left on a 27 month lease as well, which is typically the worst time in a lease to buy it out.

Perhaps the biggest reason to lease, as I believe OP mentioned, is the write-off. If it is a business lease you can write-off a portion of the lease payment depending on usage. You can also write-off a portion of any maintenance and gas.

Last edited by Crispy; 03-20-15 at 08:48 PM.
Old 03-21-15, 06:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,799 Posts

Originally Posted by Willcbooth
First impressions are everything especially when you already have that question in the back of your mind.
Thats silly. A car is a product, and products get damaged in stock. If you first look at one thats damaged you don;t write off the whole product.

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
LS460 and Equus FTW... i would be tempted with the Equus... 20K less and you get more. i almost pulled the trigger a few months ago... if you go for the Equus, get the ultimate instead of the signature.
Hey syd! So what were your impressions of the Equus compared to your LS?

Originally Posted by Atomic350F

Its a different set of goals. If I wanted to "own" the car, I would have just bought it from the get go. I don't lease because I couldn't afford to buy it originally, I have no interest in "owning" a car or driving a car for a long time.

The reasons I lease are as follows:

1. I write a vehicle off for business. Leasing makes this easier and saves me a little more money vs buying.
2. I'm the sort of person that always wants something new after 3-4 years. If I bought my GS I'm sure I'd be happy with it for another year or two, but after that I would be shocked if I didn't want something with more current technology, etc. I've done the math many times and when you want to trade out of a luxury car every 3-5 years its at best cheaper, and at worse no more expensive to lease vs purchase and trade. So essentially if I purchased, unless I paid cash it would never be paid for anyways, and I would never tie up that much cash.

Its not that it doesn't make sense to purchase the car in theory, it does its a great car, it just doesn't make sense for me or my goals and situation. I could drive a new GS for the same money it would cost me to keep driving this GS, or less, and I would never own this GS to the point where I would own it outright, or own it long enough to make it worthwhile for me to buy it.
Old 03-21-15, 11:10 AM
Willcbooth
Driver School Candidate

Thats silly. A car is a product, and products get damaged in stock. If you first look at one thats damaged you don;t write off the whole product.
No different than someone getting a bad first impression at a restaurant or a store and not going back. But with the car, I have to live with it everyday for the next couple years and pay for it each month. And again, i thought of driving another, but I couldn't deal with the salesmans ignorance during the test drive. But, agree to disagree.

Last edited by Willcbooth; 03-21-15 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Add
Old 03-21-15, 11:40 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I actually think OP (Steve, is it?) would like the E class.

Edit: Yep this is my vote. Check one out!
Attached Thumbnails Operation replace the 4GS...or don't...the search begins-image-3092477045.jpg  
Old 03-21-15, 11:46 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...lass/Interior/

^A decent read about the E class. Surprisingly the GS is rated #2 while the E is #3. Personally don't like the Caddy which they claim is #1.
Old 03-21-15, 05:57 PM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots of good suggestions in this thread. I think if nothing really grabs you, I would extend the lease and see what the next E class brings. If you don't like it and you want to keep the GS, your buyout is even less, or you go get a MY16. Personally I didn't find the seats in the MB or the BMW as comfortable as the GS, but it could have been a poorly-optioned car, and this may also be rectified in the next gen? I love the German cars as much as the next guy, but I feel very few cars do so well, in so many facets, as the GS (especially at that price point).

Maybe another wild card... but what about a Ghibli? I sat in one and really liked it, though in my defense I don't know much about it.

Either way, good luck with your search!
Old 03-21-15, 08:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,799 Posts

The current E I don't care for especially the refresh model. The new model is what I would want to see.

I love the Ghibli, but it's a little too austentacious for my business.
Old 03-22-15, 11:49 AM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Crispy
Just read through the thread, a lot of great suggestions on here. I thought I would add my $.02 as well.

The new 2016 Jaguar XF is set to debut at the NY Auto Show in April, but I don't think it goes on sale in the U.S. until early 2016 so the timing may not work for you. This may mean some excellent deals on the outgoing 2015 model later this year however. FWIW, I would highly recommend Jaguar. The buying experience was stellar, and the lease deals are extremely competitive.

While the Hyundai is a very tempting package, they have had serious issues with subframe rust. This issue has plagued many models, and I have a friend that had a 2012 Genesis front suspension collapse on the freeway due to this subframe rust after 1.5 years of ownership (and this was in CA). She has since moved back to BMW/Mercedes. Hyundai is saving money somewhere, and it isn't in the parts you see/touch, as they are clearly very competitive in materials and fit/finish. Just something to consider.

Good luck with the search!
Saw a black F Type few days ago. It looks really nice. So tempted but I too need space.
Not a big fan of the current E either. Test drove before and recently checked it out again... Same impression. Plus there are already two on my 100 ft street. I'd like to see the new one as well.
Contacted local Hyundai and they said I could keep the Equus for a few days. But like you and the post from the above I cant seem to get past the badge and its reliability history. Wife is not so welcome when I mentioned the word Hyundai either. I may still try to find sometime this week to go get the Equus to check out.

Last edited by 1111GS; 03-22-15 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-22-15, 11:55 AM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The current E I don't care for especially the refresh model. The new model is what I would want to see.

I love the Ghibli, but it's a little too austentacious for my business.
I hear you, a subtle car it is not.

And for what it's worth, I'm not sure I could get past the badge on the Genesis either - but it is impressive.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Operation replace the 4GS...or don't...the search begins