GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Operation replace the 4GS...or don't...the search begins

Old 03-18-15, 09:39 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Willcbooth
Drove an A6 before getting my FSport...excellent drivers car, but I felt like I was sitting in the Volkswagen CC I was getting out of. Audi does not do a good job distinguishing their interiors from VW and that was my turn off. Never have been a fan of BMW's so I've completely dropped owning German (unless an R8 works it's way into the garage). My M37 is very comfortable and smooth, but the overall feel is much looser than the GS. A 60k mile difference probably has a lot to do with that, but I still don't remember it feeling as tight as the GS.
I came from a CC too! And thought the same thing about the A6. The poor lease deal wasn't worth it... The interior was a deal breaker for me. The dash is not attractive...
Old 03-18-15, 10:06 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What about 2016 Audi A7 ? I have one with sports package coming this week to replace my 2013 GS F_sport which I will return in next week.
Old 03-18-15, 10:50 AM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
no matter what, buying out the gs will NOT be my choice. if anything just go lease the 2016 gs. write off, newer style, newer tech, etc....

ls460 is a great upgrade and good for lease write off but then it's likely the last year of this generation. probably not a big impact since you are leasing but still....

out of your lease, i probably would consider the new e class or 5
I have very similar thoughts like this poster. I'm in a similar boat as you Steve. At some points I thought the GS looked plain but then when it's parked next to other guys in its class, I cant justify myself to "upgrade". After this many months I still think the GS is the best choice in its class for me. But as the poster mentions I prefer newer. There is no excitement to buy our GS IMO. German is more for badging but I really do not need that. I may end up getting a 16 F Sport or an A7 or "you know what". That thing still attracts me and now even more since they offer F Sport wheel option.
Old 03-18-15, 10:58 AM
kevinm123
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When do you think the current generation of GS will be replaced?
Old 03-18-15, 11:25 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinm123
When do you think the current generation of GS will be replaced?
IMO 2019 MY at the earliest.
Old 03-18-15, 12:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
I really like the A6 and was close to getting the TDI before opting for my GS. If you're leasing, might as well go German
yup, that's my mentality too. but lexus is so aggressive on the gs lease deals that gs lease is generally at least 100 bucks cheaper than similar e or 5 so it makes it a more compelling case. if lexus carries similar lease deals now on the gs like they did few years ago? i am pretty sure i would be driving a e or 5 now
Old 03-18-15, 01:26 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

And Lexus gives u more options for the money.
Old 03-18-15, 08:07 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow, so many recommendations for Audi. I LOVED my GS F Sport, but I wanted a coupe. That's the only reason I went back to Audi and I'm loving the S5. Yes, the leases suck because the residuals are lower, but in the remote instance you want to buy the car at the end of the lease it will be reasonably priced. My lease is 2 years, 7500 miles per year so my car will barely be broken in when I'm ready to trade.

From a sedan perspective, I still haven't warmed up to the A6 design. I know it is understated, but IMO I think the GS has more character. I love the A7, but I'm somewhat of an audiophile and to get a sound system that equalled the Mark Levinson in my GS I would have had to shell out $4600 for Bang & Olufsen. It cost $850 in my S5, and although it doesn't compare to the ML it is decent. If that isn't a big deal for you, the A7 is a car you need to seriously consider.

My personal sedan choices would be:
  • Audi A7
  • '16 GS F Sport (depending on the refresh)
  • Hyundai Genesis
  • Audi A6

BMW is nowhere on the list for me.

Last edited by dseag2; 03-18-15 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-18-15, 08:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,799 Posts

Originally Posted by Rexus300
What about 2016 Audi A7 ? I have one with sports package coming this week to replace my 2013 GS F_sport which I will return in next week.
What kind of lease deal were you able to get? Assuming you leased.

The A7 is more than I want to spend. If I was going to be spending A7 money I'd get an LS.

Stopped off today to see if the local dealer had any refreshed 2016 A6s, none yet. Did have a refreshed A7 prestige but it did not have the upgraded seat package, interior felt a lot like the pre-refresh car which is a step down from the GS.

Drove my first car!

2015 BMW 535i X Drive.

I'm always amazed by the incompetence of salespeople. Nice guy, but it took nearly 40 minutes to find a car for me to drive with a key that matched and a battery that wasn't dead. Then in the end the car didn't have the nappa leather or the multi-contour seating which I wanted to see. I will have to stop by again or go to a different dealer. In the end I was so rushed to get to an appointment that was 2 hours in the future when I walked in the door I didn't get to focus on the car as much as I would have liked to.

It was at least a Luxury Line car which is what I would want. As before, I love the style of the car, and the look of the interior from a design perspective. Material quality inside is all very good, except for one BMW trait I hate...the cheap vinyl sun visors. Why they do that I will never know. Dakota leather is definitely a step down from the semi-aniline leather in my GS, but I know the Nappa leather is not. It was also cream inside, I'm sure I would have been happier in a nice warm brown nappa/multi-contour seat car.

New BMW nav is excellent, improvement over the GS. Overall the iDrive infotainment has gotten very good. Very functional, very intuitive, lots of features and capabilities. Can use it when you're driving which is a huge plus.

Ride is notably firmer than the GS, which is likely due in large part to the 19" wheels and runflat tires. Overall smooth and quiet, but bumps and ruts were definitely more discernible. No adaptive suspension unless one ops for the $3,500 system. I did not feel that the car was any more sure footed than the GS, in fact likely still a little less so...which makes any tradeoff in ride totally a non-starter.

Back seat is smaller than the GS, which is a big downside in my situation.

Overall...a little more impressed with the car than I was in 2012, but after getting back into my GS afterwards and driving up the same road, I wouldn't select it over the GS. I intend to try a car appointed more like what I would buy before I cross it off the list though. Hopefully next time I will have more time and I can check tire pressures, etc.

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-18-15 at 08:23 PM.
Old 03-18-15, 08:36 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

If you're leasing and you don't do a lot of miles for the daily commute, how about a Tesla? Not a P85D but a smaller one with less power would be sufficient, and you'll never have to worry about fuel consumption either.
Old 03-18-15, 08:49 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS

The A7 is more than I want to spend. If I was going to be spending A7 money I'd get an LS.

Stopped off today to see if the local dealer had any refreshed 2016 A6s, none yet. Did have a refreshed A7 prestige but it did not have the upgraded seat package, interior felt a lot like the pre-refresh car which is a step down from the GS.

Drove my first car!

2015 BMW 535i X Drive.

I'm always amazed by the incompetence of salespeople. Nice guy, but it took nearly 40 minutes to find a car for me to drive with a key that matched and a battery that wasn't dead. Then in the end the car didn't have the nappa leather or the multi-contour seating which I wanted to see. I will have to stop by again or go to a different dealer. In the end I was so rushed to get to an appointment that was 2 hours in the future when I walked in the door I didn't get to focus on the car as much as I would have liked to.

It was at least a Luxury Line car which is what I would want. As before, I love the style of the car, and the look of the interior from a design perspective. Material quality inside is all very good, except for one BMW trait I hate...the cheap vinyl sun visors. Why they do that I will never know. Dakota leather is definitely a step down from the semi-aniline leather in my GS, but I know the Nappa leather is not. It was also cream inside, I'm sure I would have been happier in a nice warm brown nappa/multi-contour seat car.

New BMW nav is excellent, improvement over the GS. Overall the iDrive infotainment has gotten very good. Very functional, very intuitive, lots of features and capabilities. Can use it when you're driving which is a huge plus.

Ride is notably firmer than the GS, which is likely due in large part to the 19" wheels and runflat tires. Overall smooth and quiet, but bumps and ruts were definitely more discernible. No adaptive suspension unless one ops for the $3,500 system. I did not feel that the car was any more sure footed than the GS, in fact likely still a little less so...which makes any tradeoff in ride totally a non-starter.

Overall...a little more impressed with the car than I was in 2012, but after getting back into my GS afterwards and driving up the same road, I wouldn't select it over the GS. I intend to try a car appointed more like what I would buy before I cross it off the list though. Hopefully next time I will have more time and I can check tire pressures, etc.
I completely agree. And I hate the runflat tires on the BMWs. I had them on my SC430 and immediately replaced them with Michelin Pilot Sports. I would rather take a chance with a can of Fix-a-Flat than put up with runflats.
Old 03-18-15, 09:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

i am surprised, i find the 5 series rear cabin space more than the gs
Old 03-18-15, 09:26 PM
Willcbooth
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm always amazed by the incompetence of salespeople.
Don't go test drive a Genesis then...I went to drive one and I swear the guy was wearing a clip on tie and he knew absolutely nothing about the car. It was the worst dealership experience I've ever had and one reason I will never buy from anyone other than a luxury dealer again.
Old 03-18-15, 09:33 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Coming from a family of wealth and money wasn't always easy. I had to choose the car I wanted with my own money but without the influence of my parents or grandparents and friends. My father has fully loaded Audi A8L along with a Ferrarri 458, my uncle with a BMW 750 alpina and Mercedes SLS coupe, and my friends with Jaguar XJl, Range Rover Autobiography, Porsche 911, Panamera, Bentley GT, and Audi S6, I always felt inferior with the GS F-sport though I loved it every one bit! People told me to stop driving the GS and get something better, but the GS is one of the unique car that rang a chord with me and my friends. ITs an amazing car with great balance between luxury and sports with the reliability. It didn't have the prestige or history like the others i stated above but still. I gave me happiness and excited me when I drove it.

With the new fully loaded 2016 A7 with sports package, I feel its one of the best sports sedan out there with the GS F-sport being the second, The rest is the rest. I would never consider the BMW 5 as its a sloppy handling piece of turd I have ever owned. Period. I Don't care if the 5 has sports package, its not willing to deal with me and is very reluctant to be in the game like the F-sport.

BUT, the GS F-Sport will go down as one of my most FAV car I have ever owned since driving 17 years ago. I would never forget this GS. I will miss her alot but will return for the future GS-F. The Audi A7 is coming this week loaded and I am looking forward to trying something new.

Last edited by Rexus300; 03-18-15 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-18-15, 09:40 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Drove my first car!

2015 BMW 535i X Drive.

Forget the 5. Its unreliable. I wasted 1 year of my life with the latest generation 2011 BMW 5 in the shop for vibration and wandering due to (cheap bending bmws rims, runflat tires which i replaced with standard michelins, crappy steering system, gear shifter that won't go into drive, etc), I could spend few hours talking about how crappy this car was and how amazing the GS was.
The Audi A7 lease is $890 a month, 0 down 12k a month FYI. Its much better handling and riding car then the BMW or Lexus Ls. Consider it.

A6 is boring overral. My brother has a 2014 A6 TDi but I fell asleep looking at it and driving it. Nothing like our A7 or A8L.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Operation replace the 4GS...or don't...the search begins