GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Rainsensing wiper

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-15, 10:58 AM
Igor911
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bclexus
With the Rain Sensing Off (Green Light is Off and does not light up) the barrel adjustment switch adjusts the timing 'Interval' of the 'Intermittent' function when in Stalk is moved Down 1 position to Normal Speed. (The wipers may make a couple of passes when the wipers are first turned On.)

With the Rain Sensing On (Green Light is On) the barrel adjustment switch adjusts the rain sensor 'Sensitivity', which in-turn adjusts when the wipers function based on how much rain is detected on the windshield by the sensor at the sensor's location. (The wipers may make a couple of passes when the wiper Auto On is first turned On.)
thanks, mine do not seem to do that. I only have 1 speed setting irrespective of what I have the adjustment set to. GRR - guess I'll mention it to the dealer next time I come in for service.
Old 03-18-15, 11:34 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Originally Posted by Igor911
thanks, mine do not seem to do that. I only have 1 speed setting irrespective of what I have the adjustment set to. GRR - guess I'll mention it to the dealer next time I come in for service.
Well...I think I tried mine just to see if it worked correctly, but I always use Auto (Green light) when it's raining. Maybe I'm thinking about another car. Next time it rains (which is in the forecast) I'll try to remember to check it.
Old 03-27-15, 07:57 AM
hziemba
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

BIG CAVEAT about leaving the rain sensing ON...

If you go into a car wash without remembering to turn it OFF, it may become a VERY expensive car wash, when the wipers start to move, and have a fight with the car wash brushes!
Old 03-27-15, 11:32 PM
faifai83
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by hziemba
BIG CAVEAT about leaving the rain sensing ON...

If you go into a car wash without remembering to turn it OFF, it may become a VERY expensive car wash, when the wipers start to move, and have a fight with the car wash brushes!
Would you take your car to a brushed car wash?
Old 03-28-15, 09:13 AM
hziemba
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Brushes was a poor choice of words on my part, sorry. I couldn't think of the right word at the time.

What I was referring to is apparently called a mitter (the hanging ribbon-like curtains of cloth that move front to back or side to side) - thanks Wikipedia.
Old 03-28-15, 09:40 AM
FishBike
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 3 Posts

yes, that is correct but I was saying my intermittent feature doesn't work at all...

Rain Sensing off
Stalk down 1 position - i get normal speed wiping
Stalk down 2 positions - I get super fast wiping

How do I get the normal intermittent wiper???
When you say "rain sensing off" do you mean just that the "auto" light is off? If so, there is a separate procedure you have to follow to disable the rain sensing mode completely and have intermittent operation instead. The manual says that with the car stopped and the wipers OFF, hold down the AUTO button until the light stops flashing.

(The procedure to put it back to rain sensing mode is the same, so this toggles back and forth between rain sensing and intermittent.)
Old 03-29-15, 04:36 PM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those with the rain sensing feature, can you also use the intermittent speed feature as well?

For some reason on my car, I can't control the intermittent wiper at all... My modes are either ON (as normal) or FAST. The only time it's ever intermittent is if it is drizzling outside and the rain sensing option is on. Do I have a faulty stalk?
Mine is the exact same way. I thought it might be a problem with my stalk, but I guess it's normal? I'll have to try what bclexus posted the next time it rains. I've noticed the rain sensing wipers are overly sensitive, but could just be the setting, I guess?
Old 05-16-15, 06:38 AM
panda38
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

used mine the last couple days and the rain sensing works great, much better than our last car
Old 05-17-15, 08:20 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Just ran through the first page of replies and was chuckling at Star Trek theories of how this works, it is actually quite simple.

There's a camera behind the rear view mirror that looks forward, at the windshield. When it sees rain hit the window (or anything really), it triggers the wipers until that spot is clear. It's more of a binary "is something there or is it clear" type of thing.

Try this for fun. Set your wipers to auto, make sure the green light is on, then with the car running, step out and put your hand on the windshield where the rear view mirror is. The wipers will activate every time until you move your hand.

If you got a toll tag or some other sticker/goofy device that's on the glass behind or near the rear view mirror, remove it. I put mine on the top left of the windshield because I knew how this system worked and if I blocked that sensor, it'd keep the wipers on all the time because it would never see it clear.
Old 05-18-15, 06:39 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
Just ran through the first page of replies and was chuckling at Star Trek theories of how this works, it is actually quite simple.

There's a camera behind the rear view mirror that looks forward, at the windshield. When it sees rain hit the window (or anything really), it triggers the wipers until that spot is clear. It's more of a binary "is something there or is it clear" type of thing.

Try this for fun. Set your wipers to auto, make sure the green light is on, then with the car running, step out and put your hand on the windshield where the rear view mirror is. The wipers will activate every time until you move your hand.

If you got a toll tag or some other sticker/goofy device that's on the glass behind or near the rear view mirror, remove it. I put mine on the top left of the windshield because I knew how this system worked and if I blocked that sensor, it'd keep the wipers on all the time because it would never see it clear.
I have my NTTA Toll Tag located behind the mirror on the driver's side, which does not interfere with the sensor.
Old 05-20-15, 12:11 AM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Gotcha BC. Mine is at the top left, on NTTA's advice, nowhere near the mirror.
Old 05-20-15, 04:24 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Since no one mentioned this...you can also pull the rain stalk up for a normal 1 time wipe without reseting the Auto wipe, this will not turn the auto wipe light indicator off. Very convenient when you want the Auto wipe on and working but want a quick wipe manually when the auto wipe is not sensitive enought to detect mist. If you pull down the the stalk the auto wipe feature always resets and turns off.
Old 05-20-15, 10:49 AM
vinnier6
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
I have my NTTA Toll Tag located behind the mirror on the driver's side, which does not interfere with the sensor.
Same here, plus I put it up in the sun shade area so you don't see the ugly sticker from outside the car
Old 07-19-16, 09:10 AM
lchang
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New owner of a 2014 GS350. I've been wrestling with this--i.e., trying to get intermittent mode to work (not rain-sensing).

At work just now, just saw this in the manual (seems a bit confusing?):

Switching between the intermittent windshield wipers and rain- sensing windshield wipers (vehicles with rain-sensing windshield wipers)

The wipers can be used as intermittent windshield wipers, which operate regardless of vehicle speed or amount of raindrops. The intermittent windshield wiper operation can be switched when the vehicle is stopped and the wiper is off. The wiper operation cannot be switched during AUTO mode or while the intermittent windshield wipers are operating.

Press and hold <AUTO> until the AUTO mode indicator stops flashing.
If <AUTO> is pressed and held until the AUTO mode indicator stops flashing again, it will return to its previous state.
Old 07-19-16, 09:20 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomin
Mine has a mind of its own. I always have the green light on and once in while it'll just start wiping..... lol I reset the feature and it stops.
Mines the same way. Lol

Quick Reply: Rainsensing wiper