GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Crack in my windshield

Old 03-16-15, 08:28 AM
wsykes
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crack in my windshield

I got a crack in my windshield this weekend. The crack is about 15" long and everyone says it needs to be replaced. So far all estimates have come in around $1100 - $1700 to install a new windshield. Does this sound about right?
Old 03-16-15, 10:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

For an OEM Lexus windshield (which is what I would use) that sounds like a good deal.

You don't have insurance?
Old 03-16-15, 10:52 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Sounds about right. I think mine was replaced for 1,7XX about a year ago.
Old 03-16-15, 01:20 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,413 Posts

Make absolutely sure you get only a Lexus OE windshield...and not an aftermarket windshield.
Old 03-16-15, 01:36 PM
wsykes
Rookie

Yes I have insurance. But I did not want to use it, if it was not that expensive. But if everyone says the price is about right, I guess I will be having the insurance take car of this one. Thanks for the responses.

WS
Old 03-16-15, 01:48 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by wsykes
Yes I have insurance. But I did not want to use it, if it was not that expensive. But if everyone says the price is about right, I guess I will be having the insurance take car of this one. Thanks for the responses.

WS
Just be aware that your insurance may want to use an aftermarket glass. You DO NOT want that...unless you are okay with wavy quality to the glass, or the different color to the tint may be displeasing. Also, if your car has special windshield sensors that must be used for various options (e.g. rain sensor wipers, etc.) the aftermarket glass may not have them like the OE glass will. If you have to - pay the difference if the insurance company refuses to go for the OE windshield. And then, if they refuse to give you the OE windshield - let them know you are not happy with their service...and will likely be looking to make a change in providers.
Old 03-16-15, 03:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by wsykes

WS
Its a comprehensive claim, no reason not to use your insurance, it won't impact your rates.

Like bclexus says they may try (scratch that...they will try) to get you to use aftermarket glass. Stick to your guns and insist, cite issues with the heating element in the glass, waviness, wind noise, the acoustic windshield. Do not back down.
Old 03-16-15, 05:19 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

OEM windshield is the only way to go!

Your premium won't go up due to this. Your insurance have to give you OEM no matter what.
Old 03-16-15, 09:39 PM
johnphan79
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Its a comprehensive claim, no reason not to use your insurance, it won't impact your rates.

Like bclexus says they may try (scratch that...they will try) to get you to use aftermarket glass. Stick to your guns and insist, cite issues with the heating element in the glass, waviness, wind noise, the acoustic windshield. Do not back down.
HI

I'm just curious. Don't you have to pay for deductible if you going through with your insurance?

I do have a chip on the center of my windshield. Pretty tinny... but summer is around the corner. I don't think it would last.
Should i use Safelite repair? Will insurance cover for Safelite repair or you have to pay it?

Thank you

I have never use Safelite before so i really don't know.

Thanks
Old 03-17-15, 06:57 AM
wsykes
Rookie

I am getting a new OEM windshield on Thurs. I have to pay the deductible and they say "my rate will not go up". We will see. It will cost $1700+ minus my $500 deductible.

johnphan79,
My insurance would have paid all the repair cost, if it could have been repaired. A chip is repairable. Actually they say anything smaller than a dollar bill is repairable. Good luck.

Last edited by wsykes; 03-17-15 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-17-15, 07:49 AM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had two rock chips on my windshield in 3 months. Lexus uses some of the worst and softest glass I have ever seen in an auto manufacturer. It should be covered by insurance as part of your policy that will not make your rates go up. You can't help a rock hitting your windshield.

I'm simply at a loss as to why Lexus uses the weak glass that they do. Personally, I'm not as impressed by the car for what I paid for it as I thought I would be. I like the product, but the technology in the cars is dated and Lexus is so behind the times in adopting new things like the iOS integration, etc. Oh well, live and learn!

But use your insurance and if you are like me, change your policy to a zero deductable policy on the part that covers rocks etc, I think it's comprehensive portion. It usually is only an extra couple dollars a month. I know I wished I had sooner.
Old 03-17-15, 08:27 AM
thekhmer
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BarrettF77
I'm simply at a loss as to why Lexus uses the weak glass that they do.
This...I have 4 lexus/Toyota in the stable and 3 have chips ..allstate repairs these chips for free using safelite but they suck and still look like chit
Old 03-17-15, 02:09 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have this chip at the top of my windshield. I'm hoping it doesn't spread but I'm not sure if anything can be done about it...
Attached Thumbnails Crack in my windshield-image-1928572639.jpg  
Old 03-17-15, 03:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BarrettF77
I have had two rock chips on my windshield in 3 months. Lexus uses some of the worst and softest glass I have ever seen in an auto manufacturer.
Hasn't been my experience at all. I had a windshield crack in my 2010 ES, but I had driven my 2003 ES for 7 years and 160k miles and no cracks, had a crack in the 98 LS400 once but never in the LS430.

Thats been about par for the course with cars I've owned from other manufacturers.

A lot of it is just bad luck and random, when are you going to hit big rocks and when it is going to crack the windshield. I've had some big rocks hit it and no cracks.

Lexus doesn't make glass. There are only a couple manufacturers, and those manufacturers make glass for a number of carmakers. Japan built Lexus vehicles have glass made by Aashi Glass Corp, which is a common provider of Japanese glass. US/Canada built Lexus vehicles have Pilkington glass.

Originally Posted by johnphan79
I'm just curious. Don't you have to pay for deductible if you going through with your insurance?

I do have a chip on the center of my windshield. Pretty tinny... but summer is around the corner. I don't think it would last.
Should i use Safelite repair? Will insurance cover for Safelite repair or you have to pay it?

Thank you

I have never use Safelite before so i really don't know.
A lot of insurance policies have a no glass deductible policy. Mine does. So...no deductible, and most waive the deductible for a repair.

BUT...since I insisted on OEM glass they had to put it in as a comprehensive claim, not a glass claim because Allstate has Safelite manage their glass claims directly...and I didn't want a Satellite windshield. So I did have to pay my comprehensive deductible which was $50. Happy to pay it for the $1,700 OEM glass.
Old 03-17-15, 05:22 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sick21
I have this chip at the top of my windshield. I'm hoping it doesn't spread but I'm not sure if anything can be done about it...
Damn, you're rough on cars, aren't you?

Just the other day you noticed something else was wrong with your car - I think it was your rear bumper. Has your bumper fallen off yet?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Crack in my windshield