GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

asdlkfjasoiefesa BRAKE SQUEAL!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-15, 12:46 PM
CLkicker
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down asdlkfjasoiefesa BRAKE SQUEAL!!

This is my first and last Lexus...
I bought the 2013 GS 350 F-sport thinking it would be a long lasting reliable car....
I've had brake squeal since day one. My car now has 45k miles on it, all miles driven with the insanely loud brake squeal. It's been to the dealership many times but they've change the brake pads only once and refused to resurface or swap the rotors. After I called Lexus corporate and filled a case, I finally got the managers attention. (1800-25lexus for those in need)

The manager tells me that the brake squeal can be caused by the drivers driving pattern. He basically said that if you don't drive hard enough or maybe even drive too hard, the rotors will glaze over and you will get squeal. -so let me get this right, I have to drive a certain way all the time so I don't get brake squeal? - Long story short, he asked me to come in again so he can see the squeal himself.

Aside from the brake squeal..
-My front and rear passenger side shocks blew out and were replaced at 20k miles.
-I've had a rattle in my passenger side dash since 10k miles that the dealer refuses to fix. They say trying to fix it will cause more rattle.
-My back up camera is now pointing too low. Every time I go in for a fix it just ends up happening again after the fix.
-My rear view mirror is loose.

I can deal with the small things but that damn brake squeal is so loud that it actually pierces my ears when I brake next to a car with my windows down..
Just an fyi.. Brake squeal has now started on my sisters 2014 is350 f-sport as well.

Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can fix the brake squeal so I can sell the car?
Old 03-12-15, 01:11 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,417 Posts

You need to dump that Lexus dealership! To give your Lexus dealer some much needed publicity - which Lexus dealership have you been dealing with in which you cannot get any satisfaction?
Old 03-12-15, 01:20 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

And ur in CA. Tell us Cali folks which dealer is this so we won't go there and get scammed.
Old 03-12-15, 01:28 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

THIS (L-SB-0016-13 FRONT BRAKE SQUEAK NOISE) may be of help to you!

and/or

THIS (L-SB-0128-12 STANDARD / LUXURY GRADE FRONT BRAKE SQUEAK) may be of help to you!

Last edited by bclexus; 03-12-15 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-12-15, 02:20 PM
CLkicker
Driver School Candidate

This was at both Lexus of Glendale and Van Nuys. At least Glendale is trying to do something about it. Keys Van Nuys just straight told me "no, we can't help you"
Old 03-12-15, 02:26 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Damn Van Nuys just sucks, another member had his paint ruined there too. Glendale I've read mixed reviews.

Try Woodland Hills and ask for Brad Steinberg, he replaced my damaged front tire ($400+) with no hassle at all when another dealer (Oxnard where I got my car from) didn't wanna do jack, even though I have the tire protection pack. I'm coming back to WH for my next service for sure, that Brad guy is cool.
Old 03-12-15, 02:38 PM
jhyphen
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the brake squeal issue as well. It took the dealer two visits in order for them to fix it. I would suggest writing the dealer a review. The dealer who fixed my brake squeal provided me with terrible customer service when I went for an oil change that took 2hrs for some reason when I had an appointment and they refused to give me a loaner. Anyway long story short they saw the review, a manager called me and promised to refund my money. That being said I have not seen the refund yet. I will give it a little more time but if I don't see it that will go in their review as well. I am now driving a little bit further but that's not a problem because this new dealer goes above and beyond when it comes to customer service.

All that being said don't put up with any crap when your spending time and money. That brake squeal can definitely be fixed.
Old 03-12-15, 02:40 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CLkicker
This was at both Lexus of Glendale and Van Nuys. At least Glendale is trying to do something about it. Keys Van Nuys just straight told me "no, we can't help you"
This is what I would do. I would request a closed-door meeting with the service manager and the sales manager of the dealership to discuss this issue. It would last about two minutes. I would ask them if they both thought it was too much for me to expect my car to be repaired...as I know other cars with the same squeak have been repaired under a TSB? If they can both agree it is not too much to ask, then let them do whatever it takes to remedy the squeak at no cost. If they refuse - tell them they have one minute to reconsider. If they still refuse - tell them they have made a mistake that they will regret. File a complaint with Lexus and request a face-to-face meeting to explain everything. Your car will be repaired...and the dealership that first gave you no satisfaction will likely be the one forced to repair your car by doing whatever is necessary! Lexus did not get to be #1 by having unhappy customers, but some dealerships need to be reminded from time-to-time.
Old 03-12-15, 02:41 PM
CLkicker
Driver School Candidate

Thanks bclexus, I am aware of the TSIB
It's actually the only reason why they swapped out the pads.
Now I'm just fighting them to do something to the rotors.
Would anyone know if I can call it a lemon at this point?
Old 03-12-15, 05:26 PM
ARM350F
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Really I leased my car from Keys Van Nuys and I was treated very well, I haven't been to the one in Glendale though.
Old 03-12-15, 05:35 PM
sgmstr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try taking it to Santa Monica and ask for Angel. I've had the rear parking brake issue which two other dealers gave me a BS saying they were normal without even hearing it and refuse to test drive because they know it's normal. Took it to Angel and we test drove together, spotted the problem and fixed within a few hours. Very helpful guy and really wants to help customers.

sorry to hear about your issues.
Old 03-12-15, 06:11 PM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
You need to dump that Lexus dealership! To give your Lexus dealer some much needed publicity - which Lexus dealership have you been dealing with in which you cannot get any satisfaction?
Was gonna say the same thing, I would give Lexus another try as it seems more to be dealership experience. I had the same squeal and had to go to dealer a couple times but it was resolved.
Old 03-12-15, 07:48 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks bclexus, I am aware of the TSIB
It's actually the only reason why they swapped out the pads.
Now I'm just fighting them to do something to the rotors.
Would anyone know if I can call it a lemon at this point?
Too late for lemon. I believe under 20K miles and 2 years but I might be wrong.
Old 03-13-15, 11:02 AM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Sorry to hear it. I had this problem on my 13 luxury as well. They checked and checked and basically told me "it's part of high performance brake system." I got tired and gave up on it. Oddly enough it went away on its own but recently came back again. It might have something to do with the weather. Since you mentioned the IS, as I was pulling out my wife's 15 RX this morning, I heard the squeaky noise too. She has about 3K on the clock. I hope it's just related to residue from the recent wet weather. Anyway, best luck to you. Keep us posted. I hope you'll get to stay with Lexus since the other guys are usually worse in the reliability department.
Old 03-13-15, 11:32 AM
2SwiFt29
Lexus Test Driver

I've been having brake squeals for about 200 miles now. My car is about 8000 miles. I have yet to bring it in but I'm sure Longo Lexus will take care of this. Haven't been to the other Lexus dealerships as Longo has always been #1 for me.

Quick Reply: asdlkfjasoiefesa BRAKE SQUEAL!!