GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Is the Maintenance Plan Worth Buying

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-15, 11:12 PM
ComSciGuy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is the Maintenance Plan Worth Buying

After nearly 14 weeks of waiting for my custom order GS, it is scheduled to arrive tomorrow (11 Mar 15). When I ordered the car, I spoke with the finance guy and he told me about the prepaid maintenance plan (along with several warranty options).

I commute over 130 miles a day (5 days a week), so I'll need to have maintenance performed much more often (when comparing duration between maintenance appointments). So I was thinking the prepaid maintenance plan would be worthwhile.

My questions is, for those of you that purchased the pre-paid maintenance plan, was it worth it and would you do it again? Was the final price negotiable and if so, how much of a discount could/should I ask for?

For those that did not purchase the prepaid maintenance plan, what do you do for regular maintenance?

What other warranties should I consider buying or not buying? Thanks in advance for the advice.
Old 03-10-15, 11:42 PM
sapd911
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ComSciGuy
After nearly 14 weeks of waiting for my custom order GS, it is scheduled to arrive tomorrow (11 Mar 15). When I ordered the car, I spoke with the finance guy and he told me about the prepaid maintenance plan (along with several warranty options).

I commute over 130 miles a day (5 days a week), so I'll need to have maintenance performed much more often (when comparing duration between maintenance appointments). So I was thinking the prepaid maintenance plan would be worthwhile.

My questions is, for those of you that purchased the pre-paid maintenance plan, was it worth it and would you do it again? Was the final price negotiable and if so, how much of a discount could/should I ask for?

For those that did not purchase the prepaid maintenance plan, what do you do for regular maintenance?

What other warranties should I consider buying or not buying? Thanks in advance for the advice.
everything is negotiable. Whats the price they are wanting and the service they are offering? I would pass on the wheel/tire warranties and the extended warranties. The first year is free for maintenance.
Old 03-11-15, 01:47 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by ComSciGuy

No it is not worth it. I only say this because it is nothing like BMW maint. plan, it will only cover oil changes and filter change, nothing really else like brakes or lights, its a waste of money.
Old 03-11-15, 06:57 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

If it's just for oil and filter changes it's not worth the money, especially if you are financing. Paying interest on prepaid services really irks me.
Old 03-11-15, 07:20 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

As a value, it's somewhat questionable, but I do find it convenient. My wife really wanted it so we bought it for both of our current cars. It's basically all scheduled maintenance for a set period of time. We would likely have this maintenance performed at our Lexus dealer anyway, so for us we felt it made sense. It just depends on what you want to do, as having your routine maintenance done at the dealership is not the cheapest route.

But to praetor's point, I would not have it rolled into your financing. We just paid for the maintenance package out of pocket at time of purchase, so as to avoid paying interest on it.

So if you want to go to more of an a la carte method of maintenance, use an independent mechanic, or do some maintenance yourself, it just doesn't make sense. But if you are going to have Lexus perform all of your maintenance, there is a certain level of convenience for walking in and out of a maintenance appointment knowing you've already paid for it and nothing is due at the time of service.
Old 03-11-15, 10:14 AM
wsykes
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the maintenance package for my GSH. I always take my car to the dealer for service. So I added up the cost of all those scheduled services(subtracting the 1st 2 because they are free) and negotiated a nice discount on my calculations. But I did roll it into the financing.
Old 03-11-15, 07:29 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I was offered to buy the prepaid maintenence too. They offered for a low price of $1,200 "coughs" ripoff!. I negotiated them down to $450 for service until 4years 60k miles.

My car now has 20k miles on the clock and have had my car maintained 4 times already and had to pay ZERO extra dollars. They also will rotate my tires and do oil, oil filter, air filter, and cabin filter included in my maintenance plan.

I say if you can deal them down then its a great deal of you pay full price then its not worth it.
Old 03-11-15, 08:23 PM
popping
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
I was offered to buy the prepaid maintenence too. They offered for a low price of $1,200 "coughs" ripoff!. I negotiated them down to $450 for service until 4years 60k miles.

My car now has 20k miles on the clock and have had my car maintained 4 times already and had to pay ZERO extra dollars. They also will rotate my tires and do oil, oil filter, air filter, and cabin filter included in my maintenance plan.

I say if you can deal them down then its a great deal of you pay full price then its not worth it.
Does that include the 10k, 20k, 30k, etc? if so.. that's a steal. I think they want like 400 for the 30k service alone.
Old 03-11-15, 08:26 PM
ALexusSJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Totally not worth it!

I asked the finance person if I could see the detailed list. I was really looking for words such as "replace" and "adjust". All the things I found with this was things I could do myself like replace the oil and filters. The one really dumb thing listed as a "adjust" was "Adjust floor mats". WTF?? I'm not paying a few grand to have someone move my floormat for me. I certainly don't need to pay someone to rotate my tires at a dealership. It's a big list of useless checks and inspections like making sure flashers, headlights, horn, and wiper blades are working.

If you don't believe me, ask to see the checklist yourself. I think this is a smart move. Most people just see lots of words and assume they are doing a lot of checks when in reality they are non-essential checks and inspections.
Old 03-12-15, 06:48 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by ALexusSJ
Totally not worth it!

I asked the finance person if I could see the detailed list. I was really looking for words such as "replace" and "adjust". All the things I found with this was things I could do myself like replace the oil and filters. The one really dumb thing listed as a "adjust" was "Adjust floor mats". WTF?? I'm not paying a few grand to have someone move my floormat for me. I certainly don't need to pay someone to rotate my tires at a dealership. It's a big list of useless checks and inspections like making sure flashers, headlights, horn, and wiper blades are working.

If you don't believe me, ask to see the checklist yourself. I think this is a smart move. Most people just see lots of words and assume they are doing a lot of checks when in reality they are non-essential checks and inspections.
A few grand??? Yikes! How long was the program they offered you? I would have ran as well!