GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2 Bad shocks - at 34K miles?

Old 03-09-15, 09:06 PM
johnphan79
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2 Bad shocks - at 34K miles?

Hi,

i took my GS in today for rear mirror tighten and headlight adjustment. While i was there, i asked them to check my front suspension if everything okay. Honestly, on Sat. I took 605 North and transition on 10 West. It's almost a 360 on Ramp. I feel my front want to give up and skit. Very uncomfortable feeling... Well, i asked to check that too.

1. Mirror will be re-tighten.
2. Headlight meet manufacture specs. (upward) if i want it higher.. $145 out of pocket.
3. Technician test drove the car then put on a lift. What's he found out,
- Front Passenger Shocks is leaking. (Consultant explained: From 5-1. 5 is normal - 1 is really bad. Well, my car at 2.
- Rear left also leaking and it also at #2.

The car only have 34K miles and this already happen.

Well, it at the Lexus shop now... Parts are order.

Just wonder if anyone else having this experiences.

CPO .. I'm Lovin It!

Last edited by johnphan79; 03-09-15 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-10-15, 05:59 AM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by johnphan79
Hi,

i took my GS in today for rear mirror tighten and headlight adjustment. While i was there, i asked them to check my front suspension if everything okay. Honestly, on Sat. I took 605 North and transition on 10 West. It's almost a 360 on Ramp. I feel my front want to give up and skit. Very uncomfortable feeling... Well, i asked to check that too.

1. Mirror will be re-tighten.
2. Headlight meet manufacture specs. (upward) if i want it higher.. $145 out of pocket.
3. Technician test drove the car then put on a lift. What's he found out,
- Front Passenger Shocks is leaking. (Consultant explained: From 5-1. 5 is normal - 1 is really bad. Well, my car at 2.
- Rear left also leaking and it also at #2.

The car only have 34K miles and this already happen.

Well, it at the Lexus shop now... Parts are order.

Just wonder if anyone else having this experiences.

CPO .. I'm Lovin It!
I blew a front shock at 12,000 miles. Replaced under warranty.
Old 03-10-15, 07:19 AM
johnphan79
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ECL
I blew a front shock at 12,000 miles. Replaced under warranty.
Dang!!!

thanks
Old 03-10-15, 07:20 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Hi, i took my GS in today for rear mirror tighten and headlight adjustment. While i was there, i asked them to check my front suspension if everything okay. Honestly, on Sat. I took 605 North and transition on 10 West. It's almost a 360 on Ramp. I feel my front want to give up and skit. Very uncomfortable feeling... Well, i asked to check that too. 1. Mirror will be re-tighten. 2. Headlight meet manufacture specs. (upward) if i want it higher.. $145 out of pocket. 3. Technician test drove the car then put on a lift. What's he found out, - Front Passenger Shocks is leaking. (Consultant explained: From 5-1. 5 is normal - 1 is really bad. Well, my car at 2. - Rear left also leaking and it also at #2. The car only have 34K miles and this already happen. Well, it at the Lexus shop now... Parts are order. Just wonder if anyone else having this experiences. CPO .. I'm Lovin It!
You can do the headlight adjustment yourself easily. A few have made threads explaining the procedure. I have seen one or two other cases of blown shock. Both were newer cars (4GS and 3IS). Just seems there were s few bad ones in the batch.
Old 03-10-15, 07:54 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,986 Likes on 1,411 Posts

i took my GS in today for rear mirror tighten and headlight adjustment.

Headlight meet manufacture specs. (upward) if i want it higher.. $145 out of pocket.
Headlight adjustment is very easy. Click here: Anyone feel the headlights are factory adjusted too low?
Old 03-10-15, 08:06 AM
ARISTOh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

My luxury package GS always say lower in comparison to the FSport I do believe the setup is the same because I do have AVS (Sport +) I always wondered if my shocks were blown before lowering the car but I've never been told by Lexus or the guys who put my RSR Down springs on..
Old 05-06-15, 08:39 PM
mshmsh
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These pictures are from today. front passenger shock is blown .. my car is an F sport GS350
I'm wondering maybe because we have the sport + feature on our cars and if we use it a lot it tights the suspension and blow it by the time. I found a lot of people are having issues with their shock absorbers in their GS F sports!! very weird. the car has 25K right now. and from the pictures it seems like the shock was blown long time ago

Any other F sports owners be AWARE! check your suspensions
Attached Thumbnails 2 Bad shocks - at 34K miles?-img_3023.jpg   2 Bad shocks - at 34K miles?-img_3020.jpg   2 Bad shocks - at 34K miles?-img_3017.jpg  
Old 06-27-15, 08:37 PM
slickhoosi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bclexus
Headlight adjustment is very easy. Click here: Anyone feel the headlights are factory adjusted too low?
I have a suspicion: the auto-leveling headlights bias downward when stopped and at low speeds, then perhaps aim upwards slightly at speed.

An other opinions out there?
Old 06-27-15, 11:48 PM
hube
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Rear shock is leaking on top near the AVS. I thought it was because of the Downs sus lowering. Lexus warranty does not cover it because of that reason. J5 with AVS coilovers are hopefully coming soon.
Old 07-13-15, 08:07 AM
hube
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

In addition to above, I just received the news from the dealer that my right front shock is also blown.

So before 50.000 two shocks are blown, both on the right.
Old 07-13-15, 09:19 AM
dougm213
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by hube
In addition to above, I just received the news from the dealer that my right front shock is also blown.

So before 50.000 two shocks are blown, both on the right.
Surprised shocks have gone. Not surprised right side. Curb side of road is usually more likely to have bad pavement/potholes.
Old 07-13-15, 10:29 AM
99alta
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by slickhoosi
I have a suspicion: the auto-leveling headlights bias downward when stopped and at low speeds, then perhaps aim upwards slightly at speed.

An other opinions out there?
I don't think we have the option to change the height on the auto leveling lights.
Your correct they do bias down at low speeds and turning sharp corners. I couldn't even see any set screws on mine, those holes in the plastic must be for non-self leveling lights only.
Old 08-03-15, 06:15 PM
trinidad56
Driver School Candidate

I bought my car used 3 months ago (2013 GS350 F-Sport) with 27K miles, now it's at 32K Miles and there is some definite harshness on the right side front and rear. I'm gonna have them check my shocks at the next oil change. It has a CPO warranty til 100K miles they should take care of it.
Old 08-04-15, 10:23 PM
faifai83
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by mshmsh
These pictures are from today. front passenger shock is blown .. my car is an F sport GS350
I'm wondering maybe because we have the sport + feature on our cars and if we use it a lot it tights the suspension and blow it by the time. I found a lot of people are having issues with their shock absorbers in their GS F sports!! very weird. the car has 25K right now. and from the pictures it seems like the shock was blown long time ago

Any other F sports owners be AWARE! check your suspensions
How many people did you find out that was having issues with their shock absorbers in their GS F Sports?
The following users liked this post:
Georgechoi (10-17-21)
Old 08-17-15, 01:26 PM
trinidad56
Driver School Candidate

I took my GS350 in today for an oil change to check the shocks. I took a drive with the tech so he can feel the suspension. We didn't leave the parking lot before he came to the conclusion that my "suspension feels sloppy", and its possible I have a blown shock. I'm just waiting for the dealer to call me back with the official diagnosis. What's good is its under CPO warranty and any repair should be covered. Just wondering how many shocks are blown.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2 Bad shocks - at 34K miles?