6 vs 8 speed transmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-15, 01:43 PM
kevinm123
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 vs 8 speed transmission

Hello everyone,
I just bought a 2013 GS 350, RWD, Luxury package, CPO.
I did specifically ask the salesman about the differences between 2013/2014/2015.
He told me the only difference is the natural voice recognition….Since then I have done my research, and there are obviously more changes than what he told me. I don’t mind not having most of upgrades of the 2014/2015 model…..except the new 8-speed transmission….

So tell me…what am I missing in the 8-speed transmission (beside the MPG for which I don’t really care)?

Last edited by kevinm123; 03-05-15 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-05-15, 01:51 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

1. Never ask a salesman about a car, they don't know anything. They only want to sell u a car, any car.

2. Do your research before going to the dealer. - Good job on that!
Old 03-05-15, 02:11 PM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I have the 8 speed, it is butter smooth shifting in normal city and highway driving. The 6 speed might be better for enthusiastic driving. I don't think there is enough difference in MPG to waste any time thinking about. I can say the 8 speed has a hard time finding the right gear when using cruise control on VERY steep prolonged grades( mountain grades). Probably not a big concern for most folks.

Welcome to the 4GS crew,

Last edited by jkeller; 03-05-15 at 02:15 PM.
Old 03-05-15, 03:06 PM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly, you aren't missing out on much of anything. There has been a good deal of debate on the 6 vs the 8 speed, but the short of it is, both are great transmissions. Congrats on the purchase and enjoy it!
Old 03-05-15, 03:18 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have no issue with my 8 speed but it has been noted by several members that they prefer the responsiveness of the 6. I've never driven a GS with the 6 speed transmission.
Old 03-05-15, 03:55 PM
ARISTOh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I spent extensive time with both 13MY and 14MY GS's before I purchased my 2013 GS Luxury specifically because of the transmission. I wanted the power close mirrors and and the flush parking sensors but the 6 speed tranny feels a lot more responsive especially with spirited driving the 8 speed is great for long distance highway driving but that's it. You made a great choice.
Old 03-05-15, 04:00 PM
kevinm123
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies.

Btw, I did my research and had narrowed down my choice to the Lexus GS 4th gen.

I had the choice between 10 different Lexus GS and I focused more on the color I liked and on getting the luxury package.

But honestly, to know that bamboo is only on hybrid, that the 2014 has auto heating seat and not 2013, that the premium version doesn’t have sport+, etc….is a little too much to memorize….

There is one great lesson I did learned…..it’s to not trust a car salesman.

I don’t care about the MPG and my priority is responsiveness. So I’m Glad to hear I’m not missing much on the 8 speed.
I didn’t get the 8 speed but on the other hand I got the exact color combination I was looking for.

I really like this car so far. With the current weather in Dallas, I didn’t get a chance to drive it much. But I’m very impressed with the interior. The material and fit and finish inside is from a different world compared to my BMW 2006 325 (E90 sports package) and to my 2011 Acura MDX.
Old 03-05-15, 04:46 PM
ral2531
Driver School Candidate

Kevinm123: I did a very similar thing. I just bought a used (CPO) 2013 GS 350 RWD (non F-sport) largely because of the 6-speed (and to save a little money). To me, the 8-speed in the 2014/15 GS feels sluggish. I was willing to live without the folding mirrors of the 2014 (though that would be nice to have).

Now, some people here state that if you drive the 8-speed long enough, a computer compensates the shifting pattern to match your driving style. But it's hard to imagine that working the same as a simple 6 speed.

I wanted the Luxury package, but couldn't be too picky when looking for low mileage 2013s in my area.

By the way, I went from a 2008 BMW 535i to this Lexus. The BMW was nice, but after only 70K miles it was in the shop all the time for repairs & maintenance, with huge bills every time. I'm hoping that headache is over now.
Old 03-05-15, 04:52 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

I had a 2010 with 6 speed and we now have a 2014. The 2010 felt much faster because the transmission was more willing to downshift at part throttle. I really don't think the new one gets any better gas mileage either.

BTW, it's not the transmissions fault. They set them up now to get better mileage in the CAFE fuel mileage ratings.
Old 03-05-15, 04:53 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

These were the big changes for 2014
  • 8-Speed Automatic for RWD GS350
  • Siri Eyes Free
  • 'Auto' Feature added to heated and ventilated seats
  • Auto folding side mirrors

Also here is the 2014 Press Release with a few more tidbits

http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/...ort+design.htm

• Flush mounted sensors for available Intuitive Park Assist
  • Full color display added to optional Heads-Up Display
  • Available Blind Spot Monitor adds Rear Cross Traffic Alert and power-folding mirrors
  • Luxury Package changes: LED foglamps, Superchrome finish for 18-inch wheels, and the rear armrest control panel display adds display option to view radio station and song title information.
  • Optional power trunk opener
  • Lexus Night View system discontinued
Old 03-06-15, 06:05 PM
BkFromBava
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jjscsix
I had a 2010 with 6 speed and we now have a 2014. The 2010 felt much faster because the transmission was more willing to downshift at part throttle. I really don't think the new one gets any better gas mileage either.

BTW, it's not the transmissions fault. They set them up now to get better mileage in the CAFE fuel mileage ratings.
The 8-Speed almost feels like a CVT in Eco mode which is perfect for commutes during rush hour. As soon as you flick the switch into the Sport modes, the 8-speed is super quick.
Old 03-06-15, 06:15 PM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinm123
I really like this car so far. With the current weather in Dallas, I didn’t get a chance to drive it much. But I’m very impressed with the interior. The material and fit and finish inside is from a different world compared to my BMW 2006 325 (E90 sports package) and to my 2011 Acura MDX.
Watch those potholes Kevin!!! I also have a 2013 4GS, love it, and the 6-speed is so smooth you won't miss the 8-speed. Today was a gorgeous day here in Dallas so hope you enjoyed the new ride. I ate a huge denture-busting pothole yesterday that burst the front passenger tire, bent its rim, and threw the suspension out of alignment. The car is now at the dealer and I'm driving an ES hybrid loaner. Have fun! You chose right.

JB
Old 03-06-15, 07:08 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JellyBean
Watch those potholes Kevin!!! I also have a 2013 4GS, love it, and the 6-speed is so smooth you won't miss the 8-speed. Today was a gorgeous day here in Dallas so hope you enjoyed the new ride. I ate a huge denture-busting pothole yesterday that burst the front passenger tire, bent its rim, and threw the suspension out of alignment. The car is now at the dealer and I'm driving an ES hybrid loaner. Have fun! You chose right.

JB
Sorry to hear about your tire. The ice and snow that we aren't normally used to getting have taken a huge toll on the roads. I drove home from DFW today on I30 and there are huge potholes that have developed recently.
Old 03-07-15, 09:51 AM
ral2531
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BkFromBava
The 8-Speed almost feels like a CVT in Eco mode which is perfect for commutes during rush hour. As soon as you flick the switch into the Sport modes, the 8-speed is super quick.
Bkfrombava - I think that works because you have an F-sport. On the base RWD 8-speed GS350, switching to the "Sport Mode" doesn't seem to help the sluggishness at lower rpm, in my opinion.

Again, this is based on test drives at the dealership. As some on this forum have suggested, once you drive it for a while, the 8-speed supposedly learns your habits and is more responsive.
Old 03-07-15, 02:23 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by ral2531
Bkfrombava - I think that works because you have an F-sport. On the base RWD 8-speed GS350, switching to the "Sport Mode" doesn't seem to help the sluggishness at lower rpm, in my opinion.

Again, this is based on test drives at the dealership. As some on this forum have suggested, once you drive it for a while, the 8-speed supposedly learns your habits and is more responsive.
Ours is a Luxury and the two sport modes do make a big difference.

Quick Reply: 6 vs 8 speed transmission