GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Is this a good deal? Getting it today

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-15, 05:04 PM
XFactor7
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I believe we're all jumping the gun a lil bit here. According to carfax, it was listed for sale on 2/25/2015. That was 2 days ago. I've seen some cars that some lexus dealers took 1-2 weeks to certify. Maybe this is the case or it could be that they can't certify this car, we won't know until someone ask them.

To OP, if I were you, I would ask them if they would CPO this car. If not, I would walk away. Even if they CPO it, you should still be careful. I read another post on this forum where someone bought a CPO in Maryland and moved to NJ/NY and the dealer there refused to honor the CPO warranty because the car was in an accident and shouldn't have passed CPO. It was a lot of headache to deal with. Just something to look out for if you decide to buy the car.
Old 02-27-15, 05:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by XFactor7
I believe we're all jumping the gun a lil bit here. According to carfax, it was listed for sale on 2/25/2015. That was 2 days ago. I've seen some cars that some lexus dealers took 1-2 weeks to certify. Maybe this is the case or it could be that they can't certify this car, we won't know until someone ask them.

To OP, if I were you, I would ask them if they would CPO this car. If not, I would walk away. Even if they CPO it, you should still be careful. I read another post on this forum where someone bought a CPO in Maryland and moved to NJ/NY and the dealer there refused to honor the CPO warranty because the car was in an accident and shouldn't have passed CPO. It was a lot of headache to deal with. Just something to look out for if you decide to buy the car.
dealerships have to recon the car before they put it on the lot. at that point they already knew if they could / would cpo the car or not because the amount of services can be different. it would be weird if dealerships plan to have a car cpo but put it up for sale before the cpo is valid. i can only imagine a dealership wait for the cpo to be valid before putting it in the front lot
Old 02-27-15, 05:56 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Don't buy damage goods, spend a little more and buy a good one.
Old 02-27-15, 06:01 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
something to keep in mind. a car that has been in accident (up to few panels repair / repaint) can still be cpo. for a car in an accident serious enough to NOT be certified, imho is not a car i would want to touch at all, no matter the price.

the car can't be certified for a reason -- even lexus is not confident enough in the car. so why would you want to put 30+ grands in for all the risks?
dealerships have to recon the car before they put it on the lot. at that point they already knew if they could / would cpo the car or not because the amount of services can be different. it would be weird if dealerships plan to have a car cpo but put it up for sale before the cpo is valid. i can only imagine a dealership wait for the cpo to be valid before putting it in the front lot
Totally agree 100%.
Old 02-27-15, 06:21 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sharmila19
Getting today PM or in the AM

2013 GS 350 - pre-owned from lexus dealer

AWD

10500 Miles

Luxury package with BSM, Cold weather package

For 36500 $.

I would be grateful for any input...

Thank you !

Sorry - it is the one in bridgewater
I thought you said the car you were considering buying had 10,500 miles on it? The car at Lexus of Bridgewater only has 8,270 miles.

The car was made in June of 2012, so it's only been driven about 275 miles per month...or it's been out-of-commission for some unknown reason for a long time. Did the dealer explain the extremely low mileage?

I'm confused why you would say the car had 10,500 miles when it really has 8,300 miles!

It looks like at least two wheels are pretty scraped-up, which most of the time a Lexus dealer will have repaired before they put the car on the lot for sale.

Last edited by bclexus; 02-27-15 at 06:31 PM.
Old 02-27-15, 08:59 PM
XFactor7
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...&partner=CDM_U

These are just some CPO cars that took at least 3-4 days to get the CPO tag from different lexus dealers in my region.
Old 02-28-15, 09:13 AM
sharmila19
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So if the car is cpo it is ok?
Old 02-28-15, 11:01 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry - it is the one in bridgewater
The 2013 GS 350 with 8,270 miles (VIN: JTHCE1BL5D5008937) is no longer listed on Lexus of Bridgewater website. Maybe it has been sold. Maybe you bought it!

HERE is the Accident/Damage reported by Carfax that you mentioned the car had.

07/19/2014 New Jersey
Damage Report Accident reported
Involving left front impact
with another motor vehicle
Left front primarily damaged

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This vehicle was always serviced at Lexus Of Route 10 in Whippany, NJ. But, the vehicle is being sold by Lexus of Bridgewater in Bridgewater, NJ. I assume the owner traded the car in at Lexus of Bridgewater instead of where he always had the car serviced...

Last edited by bclexus; 02-28-15 at 01:24 PM.
Old 02-28-15, 04:13 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Did he buy it?
Old 02-28-15, 04:35 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Did he buy it?
It looks like someone may have bought 'it' - if we have the right car. First the OP said the car he was considering had 10,500 miles, but later the OP said the car was one with 8,270 miles but it was involved in an accident, which tied the car down to one we found. But, now that car is no longer listed on the dealer's website. So, who knows - maybe he bought it. The OP's last post was him asking if the car would be a good car purchase if it was a CPO. I do not believe the car was a CPO because it did not say 'Certified' like other used Lexus vehicles on the dealer's website. But, maybe the dealer made a mistake and just left the CPO off the listing - who knows. The OP was rather secretive about everything, yet was asking for help...so dunno! Maybe we'll hear back from him.
Old 02-28-15, 08:53 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

I think he bought it.
Old 02-28-15, 10:00 PM
wgu8213
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
I think he bought it.
It's not a bad deal tbh - depending on the accident it could have been minor and the car is fine to drive and is still Lexus reliable.
Old 03-01-15, 08:50 PM
sharmila19
Driver

Sorry guys was at work therefore we could not reply.

No I did not buy the car and am still contemplating. I test drove the car on Saturday asked if I could take it on the highway and the sales rip told me I could not is the insurance company really frowns upon that.

I like the guy but I don't understand why I cannot drive a car I am about to purchase and drive it on Highway, especially considering that 99% of my driving will be on the highway.

Looking at the car from the inside looks very good except for the rearview mirror the home button was very discoloured and there was a white marking on it, I couldn't figure out if it was the paint that was missing for if there was an extra paint like a nail polish on it.

The The salesman already told me that initially the company had decided not to cpo the car As it was too old but then they change their mind. the car was hit on the side but the work was done on left and on the roof. No body work. The Lexus reports note small "dings" on the left - but if so- why would the dealer decide not to coo it?

It looks like a nice car but I'm not sure if I want to purchases especially given the uncertainties and the fact that I just don't have a good gut feeling about it.

I can buy a brand-new car however I don't think it would be a wise financial decision, given my driving habits I'll probably put about 150,000 miles over the next 4- 5 years .

I'm really overwhelmed with the support I received when it came to making decisions and I really want everybody to know I'm very grateful for that...

Last edited by sharmila19; 03-01-15 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-01-15, 08:56 PM
sharmila19
Driver

[QUOTE=bclexus;8932467]The 2013 GS 350 with 8,270 miles (VIN: JTHCE1BL5D5008937) is no longer listed on Lexus of Bridgewater website. Maybe it has been sold. Maybe you bought it!

HERE is the Accident/Damage reported by Carfax that you mentioned the car had.

07/19/2014 New Jersey
Damage Report Accident reported
Involving left front impact
with another motor vehicle
Left front primarily damaged

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This vehicle was always serviced at Lexus Of Route 10 in Whippany, NJ. But, the vehicle is being sold by Lexus of Bridgewater in Bridgewater, NJ. I assume the owner traded the car in at Lexus of Bridgewater instead of where he always had the car serviced...[/QUOTBased on the records - initially the dealer decided not to cpo the car....
Old 03-01-15, 10:51 PM
flippd
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They don't want you to test drive it on the highway? Insurance frowns upon it? It's your insurance that foots the bill if you go into some kind of accident. STAY AWAY. BIG RED FLAG.

Sorry guys was at work therefore we could not reply.

No I did not buy the car and am still contemplating. I test drove the car on Saturday asked if I could take it on the highway and the sales rip told me I could not is the insurance company really frowns upon that.

I like the guy but I don't understand why I cannot drive a car I am about to purchase and drive it on Highway, especially considering that 99% of my driving will be on the highway.

Looking at the car from the inside looks very good except for the rearview mirror the home button was very discoloured and there was a white marking on it, I couldn't figure out if it was the paint that was missing for if there was an extra paint like a nail polish on it.

The The salesman already told me that initially the company had decided not to cpo the car As it was too old but then they change their mind. the car was hit on the side but the work was done on left and on the roof. No body work. The Lexus reports note small "dings" on the left - but if so- why would the dealer decide not to coo it?

It looks like a nice car but I'm not sure if I want to purchases especially given the uncertainties and the fact that I just don't have a good gut feeling about it.

I can buy a brand-new car however I don't think it would be a wise financial decision, given my driving habits I'll probably put about 150,000 miles over the next 4- 5 years .

I'm really overwhelmed with the support I received when it came to making decisions and I really want everybody to know I'm very grateful for that...

Quick Reply: Is this a good deal? Getting it today