GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Dealer pusing me to ES from GS

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-15, 06:40 AM
sharmila19
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dealer pusing me to ES from GS

After a long delay, I am ready to take the plunge....and recenlty fell in love with the GS 2013 Luxury package (CPO)....and went to our local dealer who is almost trying to sway me away from GS.

The sales manager, advised that GS won't be so comfortable for long (110 total miles) commute each day and additionally the gas would be expensive.

Now this is all highway miles and if you calculate the extra money one pays for the gas - won't come out to more than 500-800$ a year.

As far as comfort, I test drove the car for 15-30 mins....the car felt a little heavy and sluggish (I am not a pedal pusher, gentle driver) but I don't know how ES is more comfortable for my particular purpose...
Old 02-22-15, 06:48 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The GS takes a lot of pedal input to move it. Has nothing to do with power, just the way the throttle is. The GS is the lightest car in its class. If it felt heavier to you, maybe you should consider a smaller car or the more sporty F Sport. In regards to comfort, the GS is way more comfortable IMO. I had an ES as a loaner when my car was in the shop and I wanted to kill myself. It did have more throttle response than my GS which made it feel "peppier" but once I got back into my GS, it made that ES feel unrefined. Not only do I like my GS' seats better but being in a cabin surrounded by higher quality materials also aids in being more comfortable.

The sales manager probably has a hidden agenda. He probably needs to move more ES' or something stupid.
Old 02-22-15, 07:17 AM
sharmila19
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sick21
The GS takes a lot of pedal input to move it. Has nothing to do with power, just the way the throttle is. The GS is the lightest car in its class. If it felt heavier to you, maybe you should consider a smaller car or the more sporty F Sport. In regards to comfort, the GS is way more comfortable IMO. I had an ES as a loaner when my car was in the shop and I wanted to kill myself. It did have more throttle response than my GS which made it feel "peppier" but once I got back into my GS, it made that ES feel unrefined. Not only do I like my GS' seats better but being in a cabin surrounded by higher quality materials also aids in being more comfortable.

The sales manager probably has a hidden agenda. He probably needs to move more ES' or something stupid.
That's what I thought....sorry - a lot of pedal to move it is what I meant when I said heavy.
Old 02-22-15, 07:51 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by sharmila19
That's what I thought....sorry - a lot of pedal to move it is what I meant when I said heavy.
Just put the GS in sport or sport+ mode and it will make the pedal more responsive. I have a 2014 GS 350 RWD and i have drag raced a 2015 ES 350 FWD and i was definatly faster out of the hole and way ahead of the ES @ 60mph+. So its not that the GS is weaker or slower its programmed to be more smooth thus making it feel more slow. But if you put your foot on it, it will haul a$$. The GS has a gas pedal detent like BMWs where after pressing all the way on the gas pedal you have to press a little harder to enable full throttle mode. My cousin also owns a GS350 and had always complained the full throttle is slow on his GS. When i told him about the detent on the pedal it made him very happy with his car now.
Old 02-22-15, 07:59 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

^^That also made a lot of people happy on here when they found out about that detent in the pedal.

OP, try to take them both out for a good test drive. Maybe even keep each one over night if you really can't decide which one is better. I am a huge fan of the GS, so I'm biased. All I can say is the GS isn't a more expensive car for no reason...
Old 02-22-15, 08:48 AM
Ford1776
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife has a 2013 ES and I have a 2014 AWD GS. The GS is much more comfortable and I always drive in Sport+ mode and love it.

I drive 100 miles a day and had the ES for a year and then got the GS because the ES wasn't comfortable enough and lacked a little power. My wife then took the ES

I average about 22 miles per gallon and I think she gets about 24.
Old 02-22-15, 09:44 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ford1776
My wife has a 2013 ES and I have a 2014 AWD GS. The GS is much more comfortable and I always drive in Sport+ mode and love it. I drive 100 miles a day and had the ES for a year and then got the GS because the ES wasn't comfortable enough and lacked a little power. My wife then took the ES I average about 22 miles per gallon and I think she gets about 24.
You sir, probably just answered OP's questions better than any of us since you own both cars
Old 02-22-15, 09:59 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

I've owned both. The two cars are completely different. The ES is a cruiser and the GS is a sports car. To me, both were comfortable but I'd probably take the ES over the GS in a road trip since it has more of a cushy ride.

The GS is stiffer so it handles better and is funner to drive. Just depends on what driving characteristics that you prefer. Sporty or laid-back?
Old 02-22-15, 11:22 AM
ohface
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After a long delay, I am ready to take the plunge....and recenlty fell in love with the GS 2013 Luxury package (CPO)....and went to our local dealer who is almost trying to sway me away from GS.

The sales manager, advised that GS won't be so comfortable for long (110 total miles) commute each day and additionally the gas would be expensive.

Now this is all highway miles and if you calculate the extra money one pays for the gas - won't come out to more than 500-800$ a year.

As far as comfort, I test drove the car for 15-30 mins....the car felt a little heavy and sluggish (I am not a pedal pusher, gentle driver) but I don't know how ES is more comfortable for my particular purpose...
This is because they want to sell you the car they are making more profit on.
Old 02-22-15, 12:12 PM
Kayman
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GS is a superior car in every aspect. ES is a floater ride without any real feedback for the driver. But I agree with others that the dealer has a hidden agenda pushing the ES. The GS won't disappoint. I also find ECO mode around town shortens the shifts and makes start and stop daily driving more enthusiastic. But nothing beats a bit of fun in S+
Old 02-22-15, 12:19 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Hell yea that Sport+ is something else.
Old 02-22-15, 01:07 PM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

My guess is that they're pushing a new car (ES) on you, instead of a used car (GS). They don't get any kind of kick back or sale number from Lexus, aside from a few bucks profit, on selling used cars. Go get yourself the GS.
Old 02-22-15, 01:16 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SlangBlade
My guess is that they're pushing a new car (ES) on you, instead of a used car (GS). They don't get any kind of kick back or sale number from Lexus, aside from a few bucks profit, on selling used cars. Go get yourself the GS.
Dealers usually make more money on used vehicles than new.

OP,having owned two ES350's,go GS.
Old 02-22-15, 01:43 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427

Right you are!
Old 02-22-15, 03:54 PM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Joeb427
True, but if they have a goal to move a certain number of new cars, a used car isn't going to help them. I know salesman get bonuses based on the number of new cars they sell, not sure if used cars count towards that. When I sold cars, it didn't.

Quick Reply: Dealer pusing me to ES from GS