GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Sewell parts closing on March 1st, get what you need now!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-15, 08:54 AM
HiepNotik
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sewell parts closing on March 1st, get what you need now!

Not sure if it's been posted here yet, but they are closing on March 1st. So hurry and get what you need, like the rear f-sport badge. I'm going to be picking up some ultra white touchup paint, have a tiny rock chip I want to cover up. Anything ese I should be buying?
Old 02-20-15, 09:03 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

This is bad.
Old 02-20-15, 09:03 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Has anyone heard the reason why Sewell Lexus will no longer be selling parts online? It makes me wonder if maybe Lexus is behind it.
Old 02-20-15, 09:10 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 613 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Has anyone heard the reason why Sewell Lexus will no longer be selling parts online? It makes me wonder if maybe Lexus is behind it.

Old 02-20-15, 09:13 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

seems like someone else might be running the show.. .

Tony,

We will honor all orders placed while the website is still active – through February. Ironically, the new website they have listed loops back to our current one, so we’re not sure what adjustments will be made to that – but the parts will be priced on a retail basis with flat-rate shipping. We appreciate your business – sorry for the change.

Best regards,

Sewell Parts Team
Old 02-20-15, 09:27 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Priced on a retail basis, so that means we won't get our huge discounts anymore. This is no bueno guys.

If I'm paying retail price then might as well hit the local dealers cause u'll actually pay less without shipping fees.
Old 02-20-15, 09:29 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Priced on a retail basis, so that means we won't get our huge discounts anymore. This is no bueno guys.

If I'm paying retail price then might as well hit the local dealers cause u'll actually pay less without shipping fees.
good point... even Ebay maybe cheaper on certain parts...
Old 02-20-15, 09:55 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Well, there is a reason that Sewell Lexus will no longer sell parts online...and the [real] reason for this change has been clearly omitted by Sewell from their announcement and correspondence.

Sewell's statement; "Our company is growing and we expect to open several new stores in 2016. Because of this growth, we are refining our areas of focus." does not make any sense if selling online parts has been profitable to Sewell Lexus. You don't simply give-up doing something that has been profitable - you maintain it, or grow it. Sewell Lexus has avoided giving the [real] reason they are ceasing to sell Lexus parts online in my opinion.

Did it have anything to do with other Lexus dealers complaining to Lexus about Sewell Lexus taking parts business from them with their online store? Did Lexus force Sewell to cease selling Lexus parts online at a discount? I suspect we will eventually find out the [real] reason...
Old 02-20-15, 09:59 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

I've read somewhere on here that dealers can't sell extended warranties out of state anymore. Does this have something to do with parts too now?! Something big is going down here. lol
Old 02-20-15, 10:32 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Lexus makes their profits primarily from servicing vehicles, parts sales and its financial services, with the used car sales also a big factor...but profit from new car sales not so much.

It would not surprise me any to learn that Lexus has determined that Sewell's online parts sales is a profit leak for all their business participants...and that is the real reason Sewell's online parts sales is ceasing operations. A pretty good clue is that the Sewell's Parts Team has acknowledged that Sewell will continue to sell parts, but "the parts will be priced on a retail basis."
Old 02-20-15, 10:43 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

This is a huge loss for this community. They've been a great resource and their website has helped with finding parts. I hope we get another good solution to discount OE parts.
Old 02-20-15, 10:50 AM
Joe166
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Occam's Razor, or lex parsimoniae...The simplest explanation is usually the right one.

Rather than conspiracy theories, I bet they weren't making enough money to make it worth their while. Saying "Lexus makes it's money by selling parts" etc, while true makes no sense in this context. They (Father Lexus) will continue to sell the parts no matter how much or how little markup is put on it by the dealer. If Sewell (or your local dealer) sold parts at a 1% or a 1000% markup, Lexus is still going to make the same amount of money because they sell it at a fixed price to all their dealers.

Almost all states (and Texas is no exception) have strong laws to prevent manufacturers from using their unique position to control completely their captive dealer base. I doubt that they could make Sewell stop doing this.

I have bought from them several times and their prices were not always the best, even with our discount. I bet they just got tired of the grief for what turned out not to be such a great profit center, or to put it more simply, they can make more money doing something else.
Old 02-20-15, 10:51 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Plus the quality of OEM parts now are crappier than the old ones. I recently picked up some clips for my trunk liner at a local Toyota dealer and I can tell that the plastic quality is complete trash compared to the ones I picked up 3 years ago. The new ones are so fragile and can break by just looking at it and they still demand a premium price. If they keep this cheap parts business up we're going to have more cars with rattles and more problems.
Old 02-20-15, 11:13 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sewell Parts Shutting Down

Moderators, please move this to the proper place if needed. Thanks.

Heads up folks. I saw this today when looking for some accessories. Does this mean we lose our ClubLexus discount? If so, bummer!

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/
Old 02-20-15, 11:13 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please delete. Someone already posted info. Sorry!

Quick Reply: Sewell parts closing on March 1st, get what you need now!