GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

5 minutes in my FSport back seat

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-15, 08:08 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts
Default 5 minutes in my FSport back seat

This car is a 4 seater. The middle part is useless, my head hits the roof and I'm only 5,7 and it barely has any padding, I think my front armrest has more padding than that part. Might as well put plastic on there like the ISF and RC.

The side seats have big side bolsters, almost feels like the front seats. I don't know if it's because FSport model, don't remember how the Premium back seat was. The side seats are pretty comfortable to be in and plenty of leg room.

Last edited by ItzFilyO; 02-19-15 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-19-15, 08:24 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,996 Likes on 1,418 Posts

All GS 350 models are the same with respect to the raised middle rear seat. The car is really only a 4-seater car. I'm guessing the only reason Lexus put center seat belts in the car is because a child might need to sit in the middle. Also, Lexus does not have the child car seat Latch system for the center - instead the Latch system is on both side seats, where it is not as safe.
Old 02-19-15, 08:42 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

My nephew likes to sit in the middle seat for some reason, perhaps for a better view.

If I ever have a kid, the GS has got to go. Trunk is too small. I could barely fit one large suit case, bugaboo stroller and baby bag in the trunk. It still bothers me that the rear seats don't fold down.
Old 02-19-15, 08:50 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

i wish it had a fixed armrest in the rear middle, like in the LS's executive seating package.
Old 02-19-15, 09:12 AM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

the middle of the back seat is raised because it houses the drive train. You will find electric vehicles such as the Tesla do not have this obviously due to electric motors which spin the wheels. And yes it is very comfortable for 4 adults. I went to Santa Barbara for valentines day weekend with my girlfriend and another couple, they complimented the smoothness of the ride, the adequate leg room and the sweet flaxen interior
Old 02-19-15, 11:22 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by PirelliGS
the middle of the back seat is raised because it houses the drive train. You will find electric vehicles such as the Tesla do not have this obviously due to electric motors which spin the wheels. And yes it is very comfortable for 4 adults. I went to Santa Barbara for valentines day weekend with my girlfriend and another couple, they complimented the smoothness of the ride, the adequate leg room and the sweet flaxen interior
The rear leg room is only good if someone under 6' is driving. I have to move my seat up quite a bit when i'm carrying passengers.
Old 02-19-15, 11:48 AM
duraiaras
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 5'10" and sat once for 100 miles on the rear passenger seat and it was very comfortable. My 12 and 8 year old wants to take a nap when they sit in the rear seats and they say it's better than BMW 5 rear seat which is thick & hard comparatively. The hump on the rear center is expected and I always knew it's for 4 people.
Old 02-19-15, 12:24 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GregCanada
The rear leg room is only good if someone under 6' is driving. I have to move my seat up quite a bit when i'm carrying passengers.
I agree. When the front seats are positioned for most adults of normal size the rear seating is a bit cramped at best. And conversely, if ample room is made for the rear seat passengers the front seating becomes a bit cramped at best...and can be totally unacceptable for the driver. Many mid-size sport sedans, such as the Lexus IS and Cadillac ATS, are much the same.
Old 02-19-15, 04:50 PM
Boomin
Racer

Received 399 Likes on 242 Posts

I thought you did a quickie..... lolol
Old 02-19-15, 05:47 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomin
I thought you did a quickie..... lolol
Yea with Kate...
Old 02-19-15, 05:55 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Yea with Kate...
Old 02-20-15, 01:07 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by praetor
My nephew likes to sit in the middle seat for some reason, perhaps for a better view. If I ever have a kid, the GS has got to go. Trunk is too small. I could barely fit one large suit case, bugaboo stroller and baby bag in the trunk. It still bothers me that the rear seats don't fold down.
Huh? I have two babies and the GS' trunk fits more than our new Grand Cherokee would. The Grand Cherokee wasn't even wide enough to begin to fit our double stroller. But I guess you said "if" you ever have kids, there's a lot you'll learn within that process. There's a ton of parents that drive hella smaller cars than the GS with all kinds of kids!

No one has ever sat in my back seat. I hardly remember what it looks like lol have had child seats back there since day one.
Old 02-20-15, 06:51 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by sick21
Huh? I have two babies and the GS' trunk fits more than our new Grand Cherokee would. The Grand Cherokee wasn't even wide enough to begin to fit our double stroller. But I guess you said "if" you ever have kids, there's a lot you'll learn within that process. There's a ton of parents that drive hella smaller cars than the GS with all kinds of kids!

No one has ever sat in my back seat. I hardly remember what it looks like lol have had child seats back there since day one.
Yeah I don't have it down like you seasoned parents. I drove my brother, his wife and baby to the airport and it was a challenge for me to fit everything in. New uncle growing pains I guess.
Old 02-20-15, 07:41 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by praetor
Yeah I don't have it down like you seasoned parents. I drove my brother, his wife and baby to the airport and it was a challenge for me to fit everything in. New uncle growing pains I guess.
Haha yeah I think the space it all takes up is just overwhelming at first. I've had several cars in the past 3 years and the GS has the biggest trunk. Due to my kids though, I considered a Taurus SHO.. That's a big trunk! Lol and if you think the GS is small... Try the IS. I never got to go on the test drive because my sons legs wouldn't fit anywhere behind my seat so I had to pull everything back out. It's fine though cause at the time I wasn't really liking the IS. I just thought I'd check out if it was faster and what it felt like on corners.
Old 02-20-15, 07:46 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by sick21
Haha yeah I think the space it all takes up is just overwhelming at first. I've had several cars in the past 3 years and the GS has the biggest trunk. Due to my kids though, I considered a Taurus SHO.. That's a big trunk! Lol and if you think the GS is small... Try the IS. I never got to go on the test drive because my sons legs wouldn't fit anywhere behind my seat so I had to pull everything back out. It's fine though cause at the time I wasn't really liking the IS. I just thought I'd check out if it was faster and what it felt like on corners.
It's amazing how much stuff you carry around with kids! I have two kids with car seats in my IS and it's no big deal. The 2IS didn't work for me, but the 3IS has a much bigger back seat (though still smaller than GS). The 3IS trunk is now only .5 cu ft smaller than the GS.

Quick Reply: 5 minutes in my FSport back seat