GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Update on my switch to Audi S5

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-15, 08:06 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I can guarantee you 95% of owners here are quite happy with the 4GS, including dseag when he owned it. It's good to change it up every now and then. He'll be back. I personally think the 4GS is better in about every way to the 3GS. It's a worthy successor.

Last edited by yardie876; 01-29-15 at 08:29 AM.
Old 01-29-15, 08:29 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

congrats on the new car but seems like there's more positives with the GS than the Audi...
Old 01-29-15, 08:44 AM
darylrsv4
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
I can understand the cause for the switch. The Lexus 4GS is truly an underwhelming vehicle. And by far the biggest culprit is the ultra bland and dare I say ugly exterior.
The interior is also nothing special.

It's so sad that the 4GS succeeded such an elegant, beautiful & technologically marvellous 3GS

Wow, I would totally disagree. I love the 4GS.

Congrats OP. Funny how alot of us have the same taste in cars. I too looked at Audis when I was shopping.
Old 01-29-15, 08:46 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

We have a 3GS and a 4GS in my family. I drive the 4GS and my brother has a 3GS. Ain't no way I'm trading for the beautiful and technologically marvelous 3GS. I'll drive my inferior 4GS any day of the week.
Old 01-29-15, 08:50 AM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I can understand the cause for the switch. The Lexus 4GS is truly an underwhelming vehicle. And by far the biggest culprit is the ultra bland and dare I say ugly exterior.

It's so sad that the 4GS succeeded such an elegant, beautiful & technologically marvellous 3GS

not butthurt at all but I just dont get how someone with such a distaste for th 4th Gen is seen here scouring and posting on these forums.
Old 01-29-15, 08:58 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MEAHT
not butthurt at all but I just dont get how someone with such a distaste for th 4th Gen is seen here scouring and posting on these forums.
True.
I owned a '08 GS and it's not even close to the 4GS in just about everything.
Though I may agree the exterior isn't gorgeous. It's modern and not dated looking like the 3GS.
The 4GS interior absolutely blows away the 3GS design.
Then there's the ride, handling, no rattles etc ....
The 3GS in not even in the same ballpark.

Last edited by Joeb427; 01-29-15 at 09:05 AM.
Old 01-29-15, 09:07 AM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Just based off the front grill alone its better than the 3rd gen gs. Looks like a monster, like its going to devour any car in front of it.
I think this is the major reason why lexus is doing so well in sales, and why lexus has used the more aggressive grill in all of their cars. Same goes for Audi, that front grill is gorgeous.

MEAHT
Old 01-29-15, 10:02 AM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

The 1st Gen, 2nd Gen, and 3rd Gen Lexus GS all look virtually the same. In my opinion, the cars style is outdated and even the 3rd Gen looks like a pre 2000 year model car. The rear taillights look outdated and the front face looks like an old ES. The only aspect that I like about the old GS models is that they came with V8s. Besides that the 4th Gen GS is better in every way. Especially styling. I still have a tough time telling apart the 2nd Gen from the 3rd Gen.
Old 01-29-15, 11:13 AM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow. I currently own both 3GS (wife's) and 4GS and I definitely don't feel the way you do. In fact, I wouldn't have bought the 4GS if not for the changes in style and technology. I'm not even going to expound on the much improved chassis. I happen to think the 3GS interior is bland and the exterior is nothing special. I loathe the taillights.
Old 01-29-15, 11:29 AM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I happily drove a 2GS430 for almost a decade (!!!). It was a great car in many regards and I often contemplated upgrading to the newer 3GS that looked better inside and out, but I just couldn't do it. The keyless and ventialted seats would've been nice, but the car couldn't ever quite seal the deal. It delivered more features in a good looking pkg (int / ext), but didn't upgrade my perf.

The 4GS is an altogether different proposition in my eyes. It's a tech leader with an outstanding int and good-looking (if plain) ext. Plus it won auto rag comparos right out of the gate against BMW, Audi, Infiniti, etc. As a long-time 2GS driver that shopped the 3GS and 4GS, I was absolutely wow'd by the 4GS ... almost enough to overcome its only adequate hp / tq (but I digress).

In closing, I will say this about the '07-'08 3GS ... just try and find a better used car value under $20K. You can't do it. It's a highly reliable, good looking luxury nameplate that you'll feel proud to drive for a long time. When optioned with AWD, it's easily 4-season capable. Feature-rich int (xenon, keyless, heated/ventilated seats, ML, navi, roof, etc). Decent mpg. Fair straighline perf. It can't be beaten. (The '06-'07 RL comes close and so does the '06-'08 M35X, but I'm a Lexus homer and "know" the 3GS is the overall better car.)

Last edited by Johnny Rad; 01-29-15 at 11:52 AM.
Old 01-29-15, 11:43 AM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm a Q-Ship guy: big motors in under-stated, mid-size lux sedans.

I recently drove a new S4 (closely aligned to the S5) and it was head and shoulders better than the 4GS when driven fast. Adui's Dynamic and Sport Diff were eye-opening. Plus, it was just plain faster. No quibbling. The S5 is a great looking car (better than the S4), but for my money at the Audi store it's the S6 (though I've only sat in one). The S4 is an understandable compromise, since it's built on their former entry level platform. Furthermore, Audi seems to keep some of its features out of its lower end platforms to entice buyers into their bigger, more expensive cars. The S6 and its TT V8 is an awesome Q-Ship.

Last edited by Johnny Rad; 01-29-15 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-29-15, 12:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i have had 98 gs400, 08 gs350, and now 15 gs350. the 2gs was mind blowing, it was simply incredible and still my favorite gs of all time.

the 3gs was a complete failure. sorry for being blunt but i am saying it the way it is. build quality was bad, little problems here and there, louder and rougher than others. tech was falling behind. it was huge disappointment.

the 4gs exterior is still a big problem imho, not a fan. interior it's top notch and i love it. i don't even have to say anything about the chassis. build quality and ride quality are both much better and more refined than before
Old 01-29-15, 01:45 PM
Atomic350F
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Audi's huh?!

So OP, what was the main reason(s) you wanted to get out of your 4GS and into this non Lexus product you are posting about here?!!
Old 01-29-15, 02:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic350F
So OP, what was the main reason(s) you wanted to get out of your 4GS and into this non Lexus product you are posting about here?!!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...dark-side.html
Old 01-29-15, 02:26 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
I can guarantee you 95% of owners here are quite happy with the 4GS, including dseag when he owned it. It's good to change it up every now and then. He'll be back. I personally think the 4GS is better in about every way to the 3GS. It's a worthy successor.
You're right about that. I was totally satisfied, but after 3 years I wanted something different. I test drove the 3GS a couple of times when it first came out because I had a 2 GS and really wanted to like the new one, but I didn't like how floaty it was or the interior that was a step down from the previous gen. I do think the 3GS is attractive, but I think the 4GS is better in every way. I understand not everyone likes the exterior styling, but anyone that bashes the interior is just trolling.

Quick Reply: Update on my switch to Audi S5