GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Fan blower noise when on high and circulating air

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-15, 07:45 PM
kh4nh
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Fan blower noise when on high and circulating air

Hi - My GS350 barely has 20k miles and started doing this recently. When I would have the fan in "circulate air" mode and blower on highest, the blower makes a very loud buzzing noise and strong vibration. The blower is on the passenger side next to the glove box. When the air is pass through it does not do this.

Has this happened to anyone and what was the cause? I will need to get it to the dealer soon
Old 01-19-15, 08:36 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Yes, dealer time.
Old 01-20-15, 10:49 AM
sarmyth
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

You could take a peak at the air filter compartment to see if you have any debris in the area. It's in a compartment just behind a panel inside the glove box... just make sure you have the system set to allow fresh air in before attempting to open the air filter compartment or you may break some parts.
Old 01-20-15, 11:55 AM
Atomic350F
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Will be curious to hear of the cause and fix here.. please report what the dealer finds!
Old 01-20-15, 09:10 PM
kh4nh
Rookie

Taking it in this Friday and will report back. I checked the cabin air filter and nothing, no debris. I've read most likely something is stuck in it, hopefully not a rat eeeek! It seems other models on clublexus have had similar issues.
Old 01-21-15, 06:09 PM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by kh4nh
Hi - My GS350 barely has 20k miles and started doing this recently. When I would have the fan in "circulate air" mode and blower on highest, the blower makes a very loud buzzing noise and strong vibration. The blower is on the passenger side next to the glove box. When the air is pass through it does not do this.

Has this happened to anyone and what was the cause? I will need to get it to the dealer soon
Last time I heard a noise like that it was debris in the air filter so could be that.
Old 01-22-15, 04:16 PM
mrpartsman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Last time I heard a noise like that it was debris in the air filter so could be that.
I have the same issue, I turned the blower and A/C off and the noise is still there so I recorded it, so I can show it to the dealer next week, my luck when I get there there will be no more noise, and they will say there is nothing wrong.
Old 01-23-15, 11:15 AM
Atomic350F
Pole Position

Taking it in this Friday and will report back. I checked the cabin air filter and nothing, no debris. I've read most likely something is stuck in it, hopefully not a rat eeeek! It seems other models on clublexus have had similar issues.
Today is the day huh... any updates here?!
Old 01-24-15, 01:42 PM
kh4nh
Rookie

Hey guys- Just reporting back from my trip to the dealer yesterday. So as it turns out, there was debris found in the blower underneath the cabin filter. A while back, I replaced the cabin air filter on my own and thought that was that. According to the dealer, the air cabin filter was installed wrong and it dropped debris beneath. Anyhow, I paid the dealer to remove the debris and noise is gone. So let it be a caution to all, be careful when replace the cabin air filter. It's not as simple as it seems...go figure. Honestly, I am still scratching my head as to how I went wrong with this simple procedure...but its all water under the bridge now...
Old 01-25-15, 01:27 PM
mrpartsman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Hey guys- Just reporting back from my trip to the dealer yesterday. So as it turns out, there was debris found in the blower underneath the cabin filter. A while back, I replaced the cabin air filter on my own and thought that was that. According to the dealer, the air cabin filter was installed wrong and it dropped debris beneath. Anyhow, I paid the dealer to remove the debris and noise is gone. So let it be a caution to all, be careful when replace the cabin air filter. It's not as simple as it seems...go figure. Honestly, I am still scratching my head as to how I went wrong with this simple procedure...but its all water under the bridge now...
ok , this does not make any sense, how could u install the cabin filter wrong, its not like if u put it upside down and the filter will open up and there is hole in and suck dirt in it, you know thats a Bull**** line, and half of this dealer guys have no clue about the cars, they just read whats on the computer screen says or the tech guy tells them,last time I was at the dealer the cashier was moved to the new service guy r u kidding me , and I had to show the parts guy where the part was on the car.
Old 01-26-15, 08:59 AM
Atomic350F
Pole Position

Thanks for reporting back, glad to hear it was fixed and hopefully not too expensive!

Definitely will note to install that filter properly in the future, I guess it was in backwards... I think there should be an arrow that shows the directional flow on there, havent done mine yet though.