GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

So I put the stock suspension back, but now the rear looks funny

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-16, 05:07 PM
q-OnE
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Serious. I know everything was put back correctly too. I don't have another day off for another week but I'm going to take it off and have another look at the springs. Maybe re compress them a little and see what happens. I'll keep you updated. Can't believe this is even a problem haha some bmw guys had similar problems with their stock springs too

It's so embarrassing seeing how high the rear sits
Old 02-08-16, 06:22 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

With 500 lbs of sands u won't need to buy coilovers.
Old 02-08-16, 06:49 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
With 500 lbs of sands u won't need to buy coilovers.
Old 02-09-16, 02:51 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Pictures please?
Old 02-20-16, 11:36 AM
Leonboy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So did anyone figure out the cause and solution ????
Old 02-20-16, 11:44 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Old 02-20-16, 03:50 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Leonboy
So did anyone figure out the cause and solution ????
I did not figure out the cause, but solution was putting the car back on coilovers.
Old 02-20-16, 04:12 PM
rog1206
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
I did not figure out the cause, but solution was putting the car back on coilovers.
Did you try preloading the rear suspension prior to tightening the bolts for the lower control arm?
Old 02-22-16, 08:33 PM
Leonboy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rog1206
Did you try preloading the rear suspension prior to tightening the bolts for the lower control arm?
That's exactly the problem. Loosen it ,then add preload and tighten up the arm nut .#19
Hope that helps. Even a lot of installation shops aren't even aware of this.

http://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.club...5a1cb46134.jpg
Old 02-23-16, 12:53 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 670 Likes on 591 Posts

Thats very strange.. I wonder what Lexus would have to say about this.. But at least you're on coils!

-Josh
Old 02-23-16, 02:47 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Originally Posted by Leonboy
That's exactly the problem. Loosen it ,then add preload and tighten up the arm nut .#19
Hope that helps. Even a lot of installation shops aren't even aware of this.

http://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.club...5a1cb46134.jpg
I'm not sure what bolts y'all are talking about, but a control arm moves up and down all the time while driving, so please explain what you are talking about. I looked at the picture you posted and don't get it. The arm pivots there anyway, so it makes no sense to me. You tighten that bolt, but how tight that bolt is should not limit the movement up and down.

I admit I'm far removed from working on them, maybe there is a logical explanation. But I'm sure you see my point.

Last edited by jjscsix; 02-23-16 at 03:28 AM.
Old 02-23-16, 07:53 AM
rog1206
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
I'm not sure what bolts y'all are talking about, but a control arm moves up and down all the time while driving, so please explain what you are talking about. I looked at the picture you posted and don't get it. The arm pivots there anyway, so it makes no sense to me. You tighten that bolt, but how tight that bolt is should not limit the movement up and down.

I admit I'm far removed from working on them, maybe there is a logical explanation. But I'm sure you see my point.
I thought tightening that pivot bolt locks the LCA in that position? If the vehicle is on a lift with no preload on the rear arms, they get locked in a more extended position. Somebody else here probably has a better explanation.
Old 02-23-16, 09:20 AM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rog1206
I thought tightening that pivot bolt locks the LCA in that position? If the vehicle is on a lift with no preload on the rear arms, they get locked in a more extended position. Somebody else here probably has a better explanation.
On some cars that bolt locks down a cam/lobe for adjustment to the camber when doing alignments, on others its just a mount bolt. I haven't looked to see if our cars can be adjusted from there but its basically a pivot point for the arm with or without adjustment for camber.

The lower control arm can't be locked into place in the manner you are thinking of because it is the function of the arm to move on the pivot point. When you drive, the hub which is attached to the arm will move up and down. The arm pivots on that bolt. Spring and shock controls the up and down movement. If you weld the lower control arm in place you are basically making a solid piece of chassis.

Last edited by rijc99; 02-23-16 at 09:35 AM.
Old 02-23-16, 10:40 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Originally Posted by rijc99
On some cars that bolt locks down a cam/lobe for adjustment to the camber when doing alignments, on others its just a mount bolt. I haven't looked to see if our cars can be adjusted from there but its basically a pivot point for the arm with or without adjustment for camber.

The lower control arm can't be locked into place in the manner you are thinking of because it is the function of the arm to move on the pivot point. When you drive, the hub which is attached to the arm will move up and down. The arm pivots on that bolt. Spring and shock controls the up and down movement. If you weld the lower control arm in place you are basically making a solid piece of chassis.
Exactly my point. Thank you. That is why this issue makes no sense to me. I still would like the two folks who reported this problem to post pics. I honestly think they just got used to it being lowered and forgot how high the car sits from the factory. The GS Luxury we had (just traded the other day) sat too high for my taste all along.

Sorry this picture cuts off the top, but you can still get an idea of how much gap there is on our car.

Old 02-23-16, 11:48 AM
dman3626
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
I put the car back to stock yesterday. The front height is perfect, that's how it was before. But the rear is sitting way too high. I parked next to another AWD GS today and my rear is at least an inch higher. I just can't think of anyway they could have screw up the install. Its pretty straight forward.

Its been a day now, and it does not look like its settling

I feel bad for you but glad you got the coilovers back on. The AWD's have always sat too high for my taste but that's crazy. Rally GS. Curbs will FEAR you.

Quick Reply: So I put the stock suspension back, but now the rear looks funny