SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

I always gas up at about 1/4 tank.
Old 01-17-15, 09:37 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,414 Posts

I rarely even get to 1/2 tank before I refill.
Old 01-17-15, 09:38 AM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

But has anyone ever tried to keep going even if it indicates 0 crusing miles range ?
Old 01-17-15, 09:40 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Originally Posted by PirelliGS
But has anyone ever tried to keep going even if it indicates 0 crusing miles range ?
HERE ya go!
Old 01-17-15, 09:45 AM
99alta
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
I wouldn't be running out of gas with a fuel injection engine.

There is really no excuse for anyone to ever come close to running out of gas.
Why? They are electronic fuel injectors, so it shouldn't be an issue. I've tested my reserve capacity in the past and not had any trouble restarting ( not with a Lexus though).

Out in western Canada gas stations can be hard to find, especially at night! The GS is a real gas hog so I can easily see someone running out of fuel.

Heck I've had to spend the night in a run down dump of a hotel just because I was out of gas!
Old 01-17-15, 09:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Gas stations can be hard to find, so if you're traveling and you pass one...if the tank is below 1/2, 1/4 tank I would gas up.

I don't understand how people run out of gas nowadays either.
Old 01-17-15, 10:08 AM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 99alta
Out in western Canada gas stations can be hard to find, especially at night! The GS is a real gas hog so I can easily see someone running out of fuel.

Heck I've had to spend the night in a run down dump of a hotel just because I was out of gas!
And I bought the car to save on gas lol. Thee 19-21 mpg average is great. I fill up like once a week for $40 loll it still tickles me to say that. If you want more fuel economy go with the 450h.

And thank bclexus, that thread was very helpful. From what I hear we have atl east 30 miles in there no problem, not that ill be trying it but its good to know. Some guy in went 54 miles on the reserve.
Old 01-18-15, 08:11 AM
orbital517
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PirelliGS
I've done that on several occasions (maybe 3-5 times) on my 2008 GS350. My cruising range was on zero but was able to drive probably 15-20 miles at least with no hiccups.
Old 01-20-15, 03:07 PM
Atomic350F
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I like to reset the trip odometer every time I fuel up. This way I know how many miles roughly I still have left to go based on the avg mpg for that tank and miles driven, even when my car is telling me its done... I find I can safely cruise another 20 miles once it tells me its out of gas.

So if you average 21mpg, and find yourself with two gallons leftover when you refill, you likley have another 40 miles cruising range. No need to push it of course, but its nice to know you will have some in the reserves so youre not going nuts on your way to the next gas station.

Enter the POI gas station icons and Fuel Guide!!!
Old 01-20-15, 03:47 PM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Atomic350F
I like to reset the trip odometer every time I fuel up. This way I know how many miles roughly I still have left to go based on the avg mpg for that tank and miles driven, even when my car is telling me its done... I find I can safely cruise another 20 miles once it tells me its out of gas.

So if you average 21mpg, and find yourself with two gallons leftover when you refill, you likley have another 40 miles cruising range. No need to push it of course, but its nice to know you will have some in the reserves so youre not going nuts on your way to the next gas station.

Enter the POI gas station icons and Fuel Guide!!!
I always reset Trip A when I fuel up, and reset Trip B every month because I like to know how much I drive a month.

What is the POI gas station icons and Fuel Guide ??
Old 01-20-15, 04:00 PM
BlueAc215
Driver

I hit "0 Miles" last weekend only because I didn't want to fill up on cheap gas. I started getting nervous because I didn't know how much she had left. Had I known it was 20-30 miles, I could've made it to the Shell station lol
Old 01-20-15, 05:42 PM
FishBike
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 3 Posts

I've read the issue with running the tank dry in modern cars is not with getting it started again, but rather that the fuel pump can be damaged. The pump is cooled by the fuel flowing through it, which always flows at full rate and whatever is not used circulates back into the tank through the return line. If there isn't much fuel left, it doesn't get a chance to sit in the tank and cool off before going through the pump again. The fuel heats up and then so does the pump. Also if you have any debris in the tank that floats, running it right down to empty is a good way to have it go into the pump.
Old 01-20-15, 10:09 PM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

This reminds me, the only time i have ever ran out gas was in the Challenger. The light came on but it didnt indicate how many miles i have left to go, the light is just on. So i decided to play devils advocate one day and see if i could at least go 20 miles to a gas station and the car sput out on me 17 miles. I called some buddies of mine and they brought me a few gallons. I average around 11 mpg with the Dodge.

Even though you guys say it ill go 40 miles or so , i will never try it and will fuel up soon as or before the light goes on. i get 21 mpg so i just fuel up once a week. Today it was $38 to fill up my GS .... thats ridiculous
Old 01-20-15, 11:28 PM
NR04
Rookie

In my experience, when I owned American cars, there wasn't much of a reserve when the light came on. You better find a gas station right away. Japanese cars seem to build their warning light system based on a fairy large reserve. My 1990 Honda Accord had 3 gallon reserve. My GX has a 23 gallon tank and the light usually goes on with 3 gallons left. Even my Audi A6 had at least 2.5 gallons left when the warning came on. I tested this with my GS and it seems like I have a good 2.5 gallons when the light goes on.

I feel that our GS is a very well executed car. However, there are a few irritable things about the car and the small gas tank is my biggest complaint. For a car this size and just an average MPG, it should of have came with a 20 gallon tank.
Old 01-21-15, 06:58 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

There is no reserve tank. The gas meter is set to show empty while there are 2 gallons left on purpose. This is to scare people into filling up ASAP so they don't run out of gas. I have gone 20+ miles after zero range. Could probably do 40 to 50 miles easily but let's not push it. LOL

Quick Reply: Gas Tank Fills Up To 15 Gals?