GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Lexus debuts 2016 GS F (Pictures Starting on Page 8)

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-15, 07:41 AM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Not feeling the car in orange at all, on the RC maybe but that is too big a car to be so orangy lmao

but yes, the more we see the better it does look
Old 10-06-15, 12:46 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

450+HP is enough for my daily driving. I thought the RCF was slow but man everything changed once I test drove it.
Old 10-06-15, 01:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
Why are some complaining about this being "only" 467hp? Are those complaining tracking their cars? To me it seems plenty for everyday city/ highway driving. Go get a Hellcat, Viper, Roush Mustang ad so on if HP is all one is concerned with.
with your logic anything over 250hp are quite unnecessary. even the gs350 has more power than everyday driving. same with all the gadgets in luxury cars, most people don't need them for everyday driving, why have them.

it's luxury car segment, it's sports car niche segment, talking about sense doesn't make sense at all.

i am pretty sure most exotic owners don't track their cars either, in fact, a f430 sat in traffic with me this morning. but you bet i want that sucker badly

i never used all 400+hp in my m3 all day every day, but i was glad that the times i needed it, the power was there
Old 10-06-15, 01:54 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Is the car getting a mid life refresh this year....oh, wait a minute. They actually haven't even sold one yet. Hard to believe this thread is approaching a birthday and still no F yet
Old 10-06-15, 02:51 PM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i never used all 400+hp in my m3 all day every day, but i was glad that the times i needed it, the power was there

Damn Rominl, so you have an M3, a GS and a NSX? When can I come over and play with your toys?

Do you like beer? Because I can bring some with me lol.
Old 10-06-15, 04:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by MEAHT
Damn Rominl, so you have an M3, a GS and a NSX? When can I come over and play with your toys?

Do you like beer? Because I can bring some with me lol.
hahaha, timeline wise there is a little difference. currently we have gx, gs, and nsx. the gx is for family, nsx mostly stays in the garage, and the gs is just my daily. before that it was the s550, and before that it was the e93 m3, etc...

i doubt we can afford having 2 coupes in the house with kids around, need some practicality. my gs lease will be up end of next year, maybe can consider the gsf then if lexus gives out good deals.

my kids do enjoy the ride in the nsx every now and then. they are spoiled though, they keep saying the car is loud and exciting, but can it go any faster...
Old 10-06-15, 05:08 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
with your logic anything over 250hp are quite unnecessary. even the gs350 has more power than everyday driving. same with all the gadgets in luxury cars, most people don't need them for everyday driving, why have them.

it's luxury car segment, it's sports car niche segment, talking about sense doesn't make sense at all.

i am pretty sure most exotic owners don't track their cars either, in fact, a f430 sat in traffic with me this morning. but you bet i want that sucker badly

I never used all 400+hp in my m3 all day every day, but i was glad that the times i needed it, the power was there
Now your attempting to put words in my mouth. I did not say by logic or imply that 250hp is enough. But I get that luxury purchases are more emotional choices and for the most part agree with everything else you wrote.
Old 10-06-15, 05:14 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
450+HP is enough for my daily driving. I thought the RCF was slow but man everything changed once I test drove it.
Haha. I'll take your word for it. Might have to give it a go. But more than HP I wish Lexus would throw in a little battery with 20ish mile.range much like the Panamera hybrid. That would be a game changer for me. I do a lot of little errands around town and saving a bit on gas while having HP as an option on tap would be a beautiful thing.
Old 10-06-15, 05:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Now your attempting to put words in my mouth. I did not say by logic or imply that 250hp is enough. But I get that luxury purchases are more emotional choices and for the most part agree with everything else you wrote.
no, definitely not trying to put words in your mouth, my apology if it was interpreted that way.

as emotional as it can be when it comes to purchase of this car, i do always emphasize that people need to know this car and get the place right. it goes against the 550i very well, and i think it has great advantage over the m3.
Old 10-06-15, 06:54 PM
bocahoo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why are some complaining about this being "only" 467hp? Are those complaining tracking their cars? To me it seems plenty for everyday city/ highway driving. Go get a Hellcat, Viper, Roush Mustang ad so on if HP is all one is concerned with.
I think it all depends on where they price it. Yes, you're correct that 467hp is a lot. But if the GS-F is priced to compete against the M5/E63 (I can't imagine it will be), 467hp, or more importantly 389 lb-ft of torque is just not competitive in that class. Not that you "need" any more power, but if the competition offers a lot more power for a similar price, why wouldn't you go that route.

If it's priced to compete against the 550i, it should do just fine. While it will give up quite a bit in low-end torque to the 550i, the high revving NA v8 of the GS should make it a lot more fun to drive.

I'm definitely intersted in the GS-F. My GS350 lease is up in February and while I love my GS350, it does need more power. So until the GS-F was announced, I had assumed I'd be looking at a 550i or S6. My concern is the GS-F will still be really new in February and so the dealers will be unlikely to deal (and could even be trying for "additional dealer mark up").
Old 10-06-15, 07:23 PM
iggyhop9
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, judging by the photos, it looks like a press driving/launch event where various members of the media drive it similar to the RC F at Monticello last year; with this year being at Jarama in Madrid, Spain. There was a 10 day waiting period from the time the event ended to the time the embargo was lifted(Aug. 25 to Sept. 4) last year.

Judging by the date on those photos(Oct. 3rd), we're looking at Oct. 13th or around that time for driving impressions. Just a guess on my part!

Last edited by iggyhop9; 10-07-15 at 06:38 AM.
Old 10-06-15, 09:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by bocahoo
I think it all depends on where they price it. Yes, you're correct that 467hp is a lot. But if the GS-F is priced to compete against the M5/E63 (I can't imagine it will be), 467hp, or more importantly 389 lb-ft of torque is just not competitive in that class. Not that you "need" any more power, but if the competition offers a lot more power for a similar price, why wouldn't you go that route.

If it's priced to compete against the 550i, it should do just fine. While it will give up quite a bit in low-end torque to the 550i, the high revving NA v8 of the GS should make it a lot more fun to drive.

I'm definitely intersted in the GS-F. My GS350 lease is up in February and while I love my GS350, it does need more power. So until the GS-F was announced, I had assumed I'd be looking at a 550i or S6. My concern is the GS-F will still be really new in February and so the dealers will be unlikely to deal (and could even be trying for "additional dealer mark up").
yeah i doubt by feb there will be any deals. looking at rcf? my guess is mid next year at least. that's if the gsf comes out before end of the year

i think price wise it will compete with 550i that's why i said they will be competitor. very different animals though, i expect 550i to be more isolated and refined, while the gsf is more raw and connected
Old 10-07-15, 06:40 AM
iggyhop9
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks like we'll be getting little teasers from major auto publications through Twitter and whatnot. Example Motor Trend: https://twitter.com/MotorTrend/statu...608065/photo/1

Also, Pleasanton Lexus says they're getting it next month.
https://twitter.com/PleasantonLexus/...386816/photo/1

Last edited by iggyhop9; 10-07-15 at 06:47 AM.
Old 10-07-15, 08:53 AM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Like others have said, "competitive in this segment". They're squarely in M5 territory with a big powerful sedan but the numbers don't line up. I guess the price tag is the only win against other manufacturers with more powerful sedans.

That torque number kills me though. A 5.7l v8 should be square enough to have hp equal torque, so this is a lot of valve magic, boosted RPM limit and software driving the hp number up while the torque is low. Honda has done this for 30 years.

An NA v8 in today's market is something of an engineering fashion statement when everyone else is going towards twin turbo 4 and 6 pots, but will it have that boner-inducing sound of an idling 454 or other big bore v8? I hope so. Anyway...like an earlier statement I made, this thing is a strange value proposition. It's a Lexus, yes, but it's not a class leader and seems to be a performance island unto itself. Still, I may get some certs under my belt and go job hunting to go get one. We'll see.
Old 10-07-15, 01:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
Like others have said, "competitive in this segment". They're squarely in M5 territory with a big powerful sedan but the numbers don't line up. I guess the price tag is the only win against other manufacturers with more powerful sedans.

That torque number kills me though. A 5.7l v8 should be square enough to have hp equal torque, so this is a lot of valve magic, boosted RPM limit and software driving the hp number up while the torque is low. Honda has done this for 30 years.

An NA v8 in today's market is something of an engineering fashion statement when everyone else is going towards twin turbo 4 and 6 pots, but will it have that boner-inducing sound of an idling 454 or other big bore v8? I hope so. Anyway...like an earlier statement I made, this thing is a strange value proposition. It's a Lexus, yes, but it's not a class leader and seems to be a performance island unto itself. Still, I may get some certs under my belt and go job hunting to go get one. We'll see.
but this is a 5L v8 not 5.7L?

Quick Reply: Lexus debuts 2016 GS F (Pictures Starting on Page 8)